What is the best gun for lions!

Hunting with hounds I assume? If that's the case , I recommend open sights or a low power scope . Shots will be close and the action could be fast . You don't need a lot of power, lions aren't particularly tough animals. I've seen many taken with a 30-30 , great choice if you have one .

Over hounds? .30-30 if you have no experience. Or a revolver in .357 on up. I think .22 is legal in Utah but I don't recommend that for a first timer. Open sights as the shots are close. No need for a high velocity center fire as the cats don't die any faster, it just makes a lot more noise and concussion.

Calling or spot and stalk? Think small deer or antelope. And good luck with either of those. Very low success rates for that type of hunt.

Planning on hounds I was wondering about my Henry golden boy .22 mag but I don't like being under gunned.
I have called the area for coyotes before never had any cats come in.
Better get up there!!!

Your .22 Mag will work fine. In fact, I would choose it over a 30-30 for hunting lions over hounds. The reason is that it won't leave a big exit hole in the pelt for your taxidermist to attempt to hide. A double lung shot with a .22 mag dispatches lions quickly and humanely.

30-30 loaded with 125 gr hollow points,,,
most times no 'exit' hole......

Saw many lions dispatched with that round,
It's the very best IMO.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I agree with KevinD. .22 mag is a good choice if legal. But just about any .25 caliber or under is ok. My biggest issue is the gun itself. I have a Tompson Contender that I think is the perfect gun to carry. You can put it in your pack so it is not in the way going to the tree. My 16" barrel is long enough that it is much more accurate then a shorter barred pistol. I've had plenty of cats climb to the highest branches that make an accurate shot tough. A lot of times with the tangle of branches, it's hard to even see the cat. Take a gun you can strap to your pack to keep your hands free while climbing through the rocks to get to the tree.

Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com

38742kitty.jpg

Thanks for all the input. I ended up using a 25-06 in a thompson encore my lightest rifle. FYI remember at 15 feet your gun will hit 2 inches low, everything worked out.

Better get up there!!!

I use a 44 mag. One shot, and they fall out of the tree. Some say it's a bit big, but when I have dogs on the ground under the tree, the last thing I want is a wounded lion tearing apart the dogs. And, my taxidermist has never complained about the exit holes being too big. A good taxidermist can fix most things.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom