What is the best hand held radio????

D

DaleT

My buddie and I are looking at radios. Some of them require a licence, but they are more powerful. I was wondering if anyone else uses radios and what they would recommend.

we use the motorola talkabouts. No registration 2.5+ mile range unless you get a big ridge between you. only thing, find the ones that don't churp. they are a little bigger but that daymn churping will kill your hunt.

AntlerKing, the ones you had to register, how do they work????? If they work a lot better, it would be worth the $75.

They have a five mile range 2 1/2 better then the talk abouts. There quite, I've had a hard time finding an ear peace. Down in deep canyons they work allot better then the talk abouts. I think it cost us $25 a peace to register as a group of four. The thing is, nobody registers them. I guess you could easily get away with out paying to register them, having a family with pilots they did it by the books. They didn't want to interfere with the FFC radio waves, they do cost twice what a good talk about cost. Good luck.

One other thing; if you have them on scan you will get more radio traffic then you can handle. Opening day of the hunts (bird, archery, rifle) we have to reset our code to get away from all of the traffic. You can attribute most of that to having 2 ? more miles of range then the talk about. The talk abouts can scramble, that is one feature I would love to have.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-03 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]I just bought a set of Motorolla T5950 Talkabout Radios. After using them for the first time last week, I had to have a set. They have an up to 5 mile range
22 channels (8 GMRS, 7 GMSR/FRS and 7 FRS
99 interference eliminator codes
QT noise filter
Vibra call alert
handsfree talking
8 weather channels (NOAA)
enhanced scanning
multiple audible call tones
keypad lock
low battery alert
illuminated display
Uses nicad or alkaline batteries
on and on
1 year warranty

I bought it at Costco for $80.00. It came with 2 radios, 2 nicad bateries, dual charging stand, 2 ear buds with mic and control button and 2 swivel belt mounts.

When I used my buddies radio last week I was well over 4 miles away and down in a canyon. They were crystal clear even with 30-35 mph winds and pouring rain. They work really good and are pretty cheap to boot.
Eric
i-1.JPG

10_1.JPG

I got a pair of the t6400's a while ago. Really like them. They have a few extra features like alarm clock on them.

the talk abouts pic above are the ones that i was talking about with the churp. supposedly you can mute that but we never have figured out how. the other ones we have have all the channels and sub channels. we never have interference from others.

Thanks a bunch. We are looking at some Midlands, for $60 and they have that same set of features, plus a good looking head set that goes with it.

I have got the same ones as Polarbear...for two radios and the price, they are a sweet buy!!! Highly reccommended.

Audiovox has a frs/gmrs radio that's 3 watts with a touted 7 mile range. Just another consideration.

Doug/Red Rabbit

I have motorola T5200. They work great line of sight. I have talked up to 5 miles on a lake.

You know I don't really recollect the specific model no., but it's their top-of-the-line model. The silent operation and the built in compass feature are really cool. I don't hunt where I truly need the long range features, but the GMRS channels seem to be much stronger and clear. :)

I have a question for the guys with rechargeable nicad radios.

I bought a pair of talkabout 5720's. I can use alkalines or buy the nicads and charger if I decide I need to.

When using nicads, how long will the radio run on a recharge. I might be camped for 4 or 5 days and have no way to recherge them, so would it be better for me to just use alkalines?

Take both. When your nicads run out, switch to alkalines. Let your nicads run completely out, totally dead, before recharging. If you recharge some of them before they are fully discharged, they will retain a memory and only recharge to that point. Not giving you full useage out of the battery.
Eri
062802drink_prv.gif

Cool, thanks for the response polarbear.

How long do the ni cads stay charged during typical hunting use?

If I hold the scroll button down when I turn mine on it doesn't chirp anymore. I use a over the ear hands free headset. Put the radio in my backpack or shirt pocket. I have lost one of these before when I had it clipped to my belt. Its impossible to get a secure channel though. Everyone and their brother has these things.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-03 AT 05:45AM (MST)[p]Want the range of a 2 watt GMRS radio without the hassle of the FCC license? Get a radio in the MURS radioband.

What is the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)?

The Multi-Use Radio Service is a low power, short range VHF Citizens Band service in the 150 MHz band. As a VHF Citizens Band service, you do not need an FCC license to operate a MURS station. The FCC created MURS in Fall 2000.

What are the MURS channels?

Channel (MHz)

151.820 MHz
151.880 MHz
151.940 MHz
154.570 MHz
154.600 MHz

In general:

MURS permits the use of a variety of emission modes, but the most common is analog voice using FM modulation. Data communications are permitted, but the FCC prohibits image transmissions.

The maximum permissible Transmitter Power Output (TPO) is 2 Watts. There is no limit on antenna gain.

MURS is intended for short-range local communications. Antenna height is limited to 20 feet above structure or 60 feet above ground, whichever is the greater.

Repeaters (stations that retransmit simultaneously) and store-and-forward packet stations are not allowed.

No license is needed. MURS is available for unlicensed business or personal use as described in this discussion.

Radios suitable for use on the MURS channels are now available from dozens of different manufacturers, and are sold by several online companies and by consumers electronics store chains.

MURS is only now beginning to receive wide publicity. This new personal radio service has the potential to become very popular, especially in the traveling community. Although there are limitations on transmitter power output and antenna height, there are no restrictions on the use of external antennas. This means that the range for vehicle-to-vehicle communications with MURS can much greater than that for FRS (Family Radio Service).

~spectr17

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/

They now have the radios shown above at Sams and Costco for 49.99 it is a HECK of a deal. I have them and they work great. 5 mile range.
Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom