What is the best powder?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I have been using Pyrodex loose powder for decades. I do not care if it is loose powder or pellets. I shoot a Remington 700ML. I shoot 120 grains of powder and TC Shockwave bullets.

I want the most reliable (igniting instantly) and less corrosive.

What are you thoughts?

I used Pyrodex for years until I tried Blackhorn 209 powder. I will never go back. BH 209 is cleaner and seems to burn hotter with faster velocities. It is more expensive, but better than pyrodex in my opinion.

I do not shoot nearly enough to care about cost. I have heard it is harder to ignite? Do you use the same volume as pyrodex?

My load is 100 grains by volume (70 grains by weight) of BH 209 with a 300 grain Hornady XTP bullet using CCI 209 Magnum primer.
Most guys that use BH209 recommend the magnum primer. I have never had a misfire or challenge igniting the charge and the load is a killer. I shot a big Utah bull with this load this year and dropped him in his tracks - works for me! (y)

I also love my BH 209. You will have the primer issue figured out long before going afield. If there is a problem with that, you will have it at the range. It does require a snug fitting bullet, but you already have that.

And I also vote on leaving rifle in truck. That is regardless of what powder. The condensation can lead to rust if nothing else.

I used to be a T7 100-110 grain guy (v). Now I'm a 95 grain bh209 guy. I could use more I suppose, but I've never taken a ml shot over 75 yards. I want to say my 95 grains weighs 71.

Almost the same.

To answer your question more directly, add 15% to your volume of Blackhorn 209 to get approximately the same power as pyrodex. So somewhere between 100-105 gr BH 209 would be the same power as 120 gr pyrodex

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom