What killed my goat ?

Boomers

Today between 8 am and 11 am something got my goat. I have BLM land next to me. In Grant's pass area.
The goat was found near trees by fence. Her udders are gone. Looks like maybe ,possibly they ate liver heart etc. Hard to tell as stomach is blocking view. Tummy area was opened. I found a spot where field fence is 2 foot tall now instead of high like rest of fence. No hair on fence. No tracks that I can see. No drag marks. No blood trail.
She was not covered.
I'm guessing a bear?
Will the bear come back to finish her? Or whatever killed her. Will it come back and attack my other animals? Cow with steer, goats, mini horses and horses, 1 with a new foal.
Am I allowed to defend my animals ?
I'm adding hot wire to fencing today. I put trail cameras up. I have animals in pens. I usually allow out during the day. Now I'm not sure that's a good idea . Since she died in daylight after 8 am.
I could post picture but not sure if its allowed as it is graphic. But I'm pretty sure you hunters know what guts look like. Lol
Since I cant find much info on it, I thought hunters would know.
I'm just trying to find out what I am up against.
Thanks

Do cats eat the udders off ? I was told that's a bear thing. Yet if the insides were eaten , I'm told it's a cat thing. Lol I have no idea what to think. Yet cameras dont lie. . .. the cat may have stumbled upon a free meal ? Or is the killer.

Yes they eat udderrs and heart liver first a lot. Look for teeth marks on the goats neck, nose head area. She is your killer now return the the gesture. They will eat fresh found dead but its not common

Listen, I'm an east coast guy and don't have much contact with mt lions, but I would think that if it got such an easy meal at your ranch that when it needs to kill again it'll be back

The price you pay living in the mountains. No need to kill it unless it keeps coming back. Contact your local Dept of wildlife.

Yes there is a need to kill it, 1) there is plenty of them, 2). He/she will be back if you have more livestock,3) its just plain fun hunting the hunter. But you should report it to game and Fish so you dont get in hot water, don’t know your states rule but it would be legal in my state.

My neighbors goats got attacked about a month ago. . Mountain lion . So I'm going to say same one since they are territorial. It came back. My dad and I were maybe 30 feet away debating on who digs the hole for the goat. Lol . It had no fear of us. We were just talking away , no clue how long it was there. We caught movement . The cat had goat and solved the who digs the hole issue for us. Lol. The remaining goats got a pen upgrade. I added motion lights to perimeter of barn. Hot wire was added to fencing. Not sure what else to do to not have an all you can eat buffet for the cat.
I'm told if I kill it a younger less experienced one will take its territory and possibly cause more issues. Not sure how that works. I cant afford fencing 20 feet tall. Lol I hear they leap like the bionic man!
Since it had no problem taking the rest of the goat with 2 people standing and talking, I wonder exactly how much of an issue this one will be??? .
The trail cam showed it starting to try to drag goat off but something or someone stopped it. It looks up then next pic is it leaving. It did not get it or have time to eat. Then it came back same day but towards evening and took the goat. I'm thinking he was hungry. He looks healthy.
20200504_012947.jpg

It’s great to see you taking additional steps to try to fix the problem in a non lethal way. Have you contacted your wildlife dept over the matter? If so what have they said? Have your neighbors took additional steps to protect their livestock?

Almost for sure the cat that killed it. Mountain lions will very rarely eat something they didn’t kill. And if you have more animals for the cat to get it will eventually come back for another meal.

I hope he doesnt come back. I love my goats. The one it killed had a kid and its stressed. My horses keep watching that spot and are stressed. Last nite they finally relaxed.
I was told if I kill it I have to turn it in. So they get info on it. Sex etc.
Unknown what the neighbors did to help their critters.
My goats have a smaller pen now but it has a strong top added to it. So they are caged all 4 directions. My cows are put in a round pen at nite away from the treeline. My horses have 6 foot tall panels with wire mesh attached to the barn .which is away from the treeline. We have dogs. I worry about my lil one. She hunts squirrels at the treeline. Mice also along that fence. But shes only an appetizer she is on the smaller side. I added hotwire and lights. Yet I do not think it will be enough. This guy feels bold to me. I wont let my critters be killed. I will defend them if he comes back. But it consumes my time. I cant always be out there. Trail camps are up and security cameras that sound when motion is detected. I'm sure by time I grab gun put shoes on grab jacket run out there he would have accomplished his task at hand lol. I'm reading that they kill a deer a week roughly. The territory is large. They hang out where food is. Does that mean he will hang out here til all my critters that are easy to kill are dead? Or do I have to wait til he cycles back around this area in his territory ? I'm not a cat hunter, so I'm getting a crash course lol. I now carry during the day when I'm out there. I would prefer he just went away. But I get a feeling hes not going to be a nice neighbor. Lol

It’s great to see you taking additional steps to try to fix the problem in a non lethal way. Have you contacted your wildlife dept over the matter? If so what have they said? Have your neighbors took additional steps to protect their livestock?
He gets a chance, in my book. But he has to give some also. If he is a problem cat , then he gives me no choice. I appreciate what he is. But the safety of my critters and family come first. If he figures out it's not easy here. We will get along. If he doesnt, then I will be forced. I cant say I will win. This was my husbands area before he died. I have my dads help. But he cant be here 24/7. It's my responsibility to handle this. I'll try to make it hard for him. I'm sure getting him ,he will make it hard for me. Lol I will do my best to avoid killing him. It's up to him .

We had a cat a few years back come into our neighborhood and kill a goat. I’m in the mountains butted up to public land with all properties 5 acres or more. The cat killed a goat but didn’t get it out of the pen. Turned out to be a juvenile. About 50 lbs. he came back for 4 straight nights to eat on the goat carcass before we finally got a bullet in it. Good luck. Don’t give the animal too much credit when hoping he just goes away.

We had a cat a few years back come into our neighborhood and kill a goat. I’m in the mountains butted up to public land with all properties 5 acres or more. The cat killed a goat but didn’t get it out of the pen. Turned out to be a juvenile. About 50 lbs. he came back for 4 straight nights to eat on the goat carcass before we finally got a bullet in it. Good luck. Don’t give the animal too much credit when hoping he just goes away.
Well my worry is if I shoot , will I get the shot needed. ? I'm a good shot, but I dont want to be responsible for any suffering. Lol yes I'm a girl .lol I'm not a cat hunter by any means. I was wondering if I found someone with a tag... maybe they could help me. ?? . Since its year round season on them. Wildlife people will shoot. But why deny a tag ? Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this.lol . It seems wildlife guys kill a lot. So why not give a hunter a chance to fill his tag? Might make a hunters day.
Can you see the pic I posted of him ? Is he a younger one or? Just curious.

I csnt
Well my worry is if I shoot , will I get the shot needed. ? I'm a good shot, but I dont want to be responsible for any suffering. Lol yes I'm a girl .lol I'm not a cat hunter by any means. I was wondering if I found someone with a tag... maybe they could help me. ?? . Since its year round season on them. Wildlife people will shoot. But why deny a tag ? Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this.lol . It seems wildlife guys kill a lot. So why not give a hunter a chance to fill his tag? Might make a hunters day.
Can you see the pic I posted of him ? Is he a younger one or? Just curious.
I can’t tell if it’s young or just real thin for an adult. It looks sick or under fed to me. Getting a tag holder to kill it would be a great option. Just don’t think for a minute it won’t return. My experience says it most likely will return.

I csnt I can’t tell if it’s young or just real thin for an adult. It looks sick or under fed to me. Getting a tag holder to kill it would be a great option. Just don’t think for a minute it won’t return. My experience says it most likely will return.
Shows you what I know .lol . If I listen to my gut, I know it will return. Lol. Especially since I'm not the only one losing goats .I think I'll look for a tag holder. I dont have the knowledge to be a big cat hunter. As much as I think it would be a hunt to remember, with my lack of experience it may be my one and only hunt , with cat winning. By the time I get enough experience , my cows ,goats and horses will have been dinner.
Too bad for the cat choosing goats as a entree . Can't blame him for being what he is. I just hope the next one that takes his territory doesnt like goat for dinner. I may sell my goats, for their own safety. I love them. But my cows stay! Horses too.
If someone has a tag. Let me know. I prefer to give a hunter a chance first before the guys that get too all the time.
But if I catch him going after my critters , hes mine !

Back
Top Bottom