What kind of bird is this?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Anyone know what bird this is?

BC9038D2-42AA-4748-8F8D-2E15628221A0.jpeg

F9DE4609-877E-4161-8D80-41D2F07CD650.jpeg

Sandhills migrate all the way from northern Canada down to the deserts in AZ & elsewhere like the Bosque del Apache in NM. So you're liable to see them resting anywhere in between.

When I was hunting caribou in the NWT, we saw 1000s of them, and the same on my moose hunt in northern BC. At the latter, a big flock would stop on a tundra covered hill top & spend the night, then leave in the morning. And boy, do they make a racket, both when flying over & while feeding.

Sandhillsun1opt.jpg

sandhillsfly.jpg

Last edited:
Used to see a lot of them when i lived in Central FL.
They loved subdivisions and golf courses.
Dumb as a sack of rocks, could kill em with a baseball bat.

This is like one of those threads where the birdwatchers document their sightings. :)

Put me down for Dolores County; 8000’ ish. They do have a cool call. I was struck by how tall they are.

Wait til you spook a pair trying to sneak across a meadow, they will do a scraping run while calling, loud enough to alert the whole area.
They like the high mountain meadows , we've seen them at 9,000 ft.

We call them "damn side hill cranes"! Run into them all the time at 7-9000 feet while bow hunting elk here in Idaho. Scare the crap out of you in the dark, especially in grizzly country.

We had a pair in front of our cabin this year at 9500 feet. You could hear them coming in for a landing at Seven mile creek. They are loud. But pretty cool to see and listen to.

The Cornell Lab, All About Birds website has great information about the Sandhill crane. I assume the common name comes from the Sandhills of Nebraska, where extremely large flocks often stage during migration. I have been near large flocks where the trumpeting was overwhelming.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know what a sandhill crane is. How do you know what a pterodactyl sounds like?

The sandhill’s I’ve seen don’t look anything like the cartoons of pterodactyls people draw based on some fossils. I’m not sure of their call because I’m not an expert on reptile calls. :rolleyes:

How about unicorn calls? What does the internet say they sound like? Braying ass?

Last edited:
Yeah, I know what a sandhill crane is. How do you know what a pterodactyl sounds like?

The sandhill’s I’ve seen don’t look anything like the cartoons of pterodactyls people draw based on some fossils. I’m not sure of their call because I’m not an expert on reptile calls. :rolleyes:

How about unicorn calls? What does the internet say they sound like? Braying ass?
Scientists have studied the fossils and throat anatomy and have recreated the sounds.

I’m calling bullchit. But be careful out there on the internet……it’s a dangerous place for the gullible.
Much of it is painstakingly slow Science. Using a computer, scientists at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History have created what they believe are the sounds of the Parasaurolophus, which roamed the earth more than 70 million years ago. It took two years before the sound could be replicated by a museum palaeontologist and a scientist from the Sandia National Laboratories. Here's how they worked it out: Scientists took a three dimensional x-ray of a dinosaur skull which was unearthed in northwestern New Mexico. Then, they fed data through their computer, and calculated how the sound waves likely bounced through the 4-foot (1.3 metre) crest rising from the back of the dinosaur's head.

Much of it is painstakingly slow Science. Using a computer, scientists at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History have created what they believe are the sounds of the Parasaurolophus, which roamed the earth more than 70 million years ago. It took two years before the sound could be replicated by a museum palaeontologist and a scientist from the Sandia National Laboratories. Here's how they worked it out: Scientists took a three dimensional x-ray of a dinosaur skull which was unearthed in northwestern New Mexico. Then, they fed data through their computer, and calculated how the sound waves likely bounced through the 4-foot (1.3 metre) crest rising from the back of the dinosaur's head.
The NM Museum of Natural History?:ROFLMAO: Is that in Hobbs?

They reconstructed all that soft tissue anatomy from the imagined spatial orientation of a couple of grains of sand from a couple of million years ago? Riiiiighhhhttttt…….

Let’s apply a little critical thinking. These phony grant-sucking charlatans need to be mocked at every opportunity. They’re peddling entertainment, not science.

Have you ever met one of these academic lab rats? They can’t even match their socks in the morning.

Wait….are you one of them?:unsure:

BTW, what’s your favorite reptile call? Mine would be those dragons on game of thrones if they were real. So I’m going with a rattlesnake :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The NM Museum of Natural History?:ROFLMAO: Is that in Hobbs?

They reconstructed all that soft tissue anatomy from the imagined spatial orientation of a couple of grains of sand from a couple of million years ago? Riiiiighhhhttttt…….

Let’s apply a little critical thinking. These phony grant-sucking charlatans need to be mocked at every opportunity. They’re peddling entertainment, not science.

Have you ever met one of these academic lab rats? They can’t even match their socks in the morning.

Wait….are you one of them?:unsure:

BTW, what’s your favorite reptile call? Mine would be those dragons on game of thrones if they were real. So I’m going with a rattlesnake :rolleyes:
Don’t piss off the Gecko

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom