What Muzzleloader to buy?

nvguy2

Thinking of upgrading my old Knight Bighorn. Heard the CVA’s are nice. Believe my brother has one with Thumbhole stock. I like the Thumbhole and also the break action. Would like some recommendations for a good solid all around muzzleloader to purchase. Not sure what’s out there and want a good shooting muzzleloader that’s going to last me a long time. Thanks for any advice!

take a look at CVA and the Optima V2 Nitride.You can upgrade to more costly models, but not needed for a good muzzie hunting rifle
  • Nitride Rust Proof Finish
  • Realtree Xtra Green Camo
  • Stainless Steel, Fluted, 26" Barrel
  • Bullet Guiding Muzzle
  • 100% Ambidextrous Thumbhole Stock
  • QRBP - Quick Release Breech Plug
  • Reversible Hammer Spur
  • CrushZone® Recoil Pad
  • DuraSight® DEAD-ON™ One-Piece Scope Mount
  • 41” Overall Length
  • 6.65 lbs. Total Weight
  • 14” Length of Pull
  • Lifetime Warranty
my CVA worked on this past season NV elk hunt ... Bruce & SilverGrand
20191028_172120 (1).jpg

I would lean towards the knight mountaineer. 45 cal with the 1 in 20 twist. But this would be to shoot the cutting edge maximus 40 cal bullets.
I'd decide what bullet you would want to shoot first then pick a muzzleloader that would stabilize it to group them tightly.
Let us know what up end buying shooting black powder is a lot of fun.

take a look at CVA and the Optima V2 Nitride.You can upgrade to more costly models, but not needed for a good muzzie hunting rifle
  • Nitride Rust Proof Finish
  • Realtree Xtra Green Camo
  • Stainless Steel, Fluted, 26" Barrel
  • Bullet Guiding Muzzle
  • 100% Ambidextrous Thumbhole Stock
  • QRBP - Quick Release Breech Plug
  • Reversible Hammer Spur
  • CrushZone® Recoil Pad
  • DuraSight® DEAD-ON™ One-Piece Scope Mount
  • 41” Overall Length
  • 6.65 lbs. Total Weight
  • 14” Length of Pull
  • Lifetime Warranty
my CVA worked on this past season NV elk hunt ... Bruce & SilverGrand
View attachment 1071
Thanks for the help. Think I seen your post earlier in Nevada forum. Congrats on a nice Bull. My first was with that Knight 50 cal here in NV in 2007. Awesome hunt. I’ll never forget it.

I would lean towards the knight mountaineer. 45 cal with the 1 in 20 twist. But this would be to shoot the cutting edge maximus 40 cal bullets.
I'd decide what bullet you would want to shoot first then pick a muzzleloader that would stabilize it to group them tightly.
Let us know what up end buying shooting black powder is a lot of fun.
Thanks Barrera for the help. Debating on a new Bow or a new Muzzleloader. Tough choice. Just seeing what’s out there. Thanks again.

Thanks for the help. Think I seen your post earlier in Nevada forum. Congrats on a nice Bull. My first was with that Knight 50 cal here in NV in 2007. Awesome hunt. I’ll never forget it.
Just went and looked at your old post. I shot mine in the same unit. Awesome country.

Moving from a Knight to a CVA is not an upgrade in my opinion. I will second the Mountaineer.

I have not had a Knight but i love my CVA Accura V2 nitride .50 cal. Open sights here in colorado. It likes federal bor loc 350 gr lead bullet. Blackhorn powder 100 grain

Was thinking of the optima but decided to spend a little more for the top of the line Accura.., The new paramount is only .45 cal so not legal for elk here in colorado

Whatever you decide, go with stainless. I also highly recommend the 209 primer route. I guess one of the newer nitrides or something might be just as good, but I'm not familiar with them.

Me? I shoot a 25 yr old Knight Wolverine, SS, converted to 209 primers. Very lightweight and it is a tack driver with 300 gr bullets at 50 and 100 yards.

Thanks for all replies. Appreciate the help. Still haven’t decided what to do. I’ve taken a handful of big game animals with my .50 cal Knight Bighorn, but it doesn’t seem to shoot as good as when I first bought it. I always clean after shooting. The guy from Knight last year told me that my breech is probably shot out so I bought a new one, but the only one they had was the one that takes those little red 209 sleeves (can’t remember what they’re called right now). Also found out I needed a new hammer to make them work. They sent me one and I haven’t tried it with this set up yet. Maybe I should go give it a chance first. Just thought maybe a newer one would be nice. Not a fan of the plunger type hammer, leaving the breech and primer exposed either.

I have shot this gun with 100 grains of pyrodex pushing a 250 grain Hornady SST Sabot and also 150 grains pyrodex pushing a 300 grain Hornady SST for elk. Shot pretty good my 2007 elk season. Fell and bumped front fiber optic 5 or 6 years ago. Took a little chunk out of the rear fiber optic but everything else seemed tight and ok so I left it on. My Dad thinks this is my problem. I suppose I should put a new one on there but couldn’t find one that didn’t have a larger fiber optic in it. I’ve double checked that sight several times. Nothing seems loose or disturbed other than the bit of damage where it took out a small piece of that fiber on the back end. Seems to shoot fine at 100 but not what I feel like it should at 150-200. I will admit that I haven’t shot it a lot in the last 5 years so that probably doesn’t help my case.

The red things are called Knight Red Hots. That's what my Wolverine/LK-93 uses.

I shoot 100 gr Triple 7 with the 300 gr Hornadys and they are dead on at 50 and 100 with the same aiming point. When I shot at 150, the bullet 18 inches or so. May have been more, or less, but I just remember it was way too much for me to be comfortable shooting at that distance. But most shots in eastern hardwoods on whitetails are going to be less than 100 yards.

I guess all that to say that 100 grains powder seems light to be pushing a 300 grain bullet out to 150 yards. Others may have had different experiences.

Just picked up a second Remington ultimate muzzleloader today that I ordered from Hinderland for one of my sons. $723.00 & $9.95 shipping to a FFA dealer.

Have my trusty White, 2 different TC's and now 2 Remington's.

All great guns, but the Remington's are sweet, but far from primitive!!!

Look for synthetic stock, stainless barrel, uses 209 shotgun primer, synthetic ramrod, and .50 cal. I have a TC Omega 50 cal. Always bought TC or Knight. I Still have a MK-85 predator .54 caliber which I converted over to the red hot system. If you go with any of the top manufactures, I don't think you can make a poor decision.. If you have an unlimited budget ck out the best of the west muzzleloader. Its supposed to be accurate to 700 yds. Also check out the M.A.X. muzzleloader website & Chuck Hawks website. There are a few good tips that can steer you in the right direction before you buy. Best of luck!

Whatever you decide, go with stainless. I also highly recommend the 209 primer route. I guess one of the newer nitrides or something might be just as good, but I'm not familiar with them.

Me? I shoot a 25 yr old Knight Wolverine, SS, converted to 209 primers. Very lightweight and it is a tack driver with 300 gr bullets at 50 and 100 yards.
How or where can I find the 209 conversion for the Knight wolverine? thanks Rick

That is for his turnkey top of the line muzzle loader. He builds on the stock Remington 700 muzzle loader. You can buy the gun and modify it as you see fit. He also builds on the Thompson Encore platforms. Since I already had a Thompson I just finished my build using his barrel , bullets and powder. All the same that he uses with the Remington . Luckily for us here in Southern Utah. MGM makes the barrels for Luke at Arrowhead rifles. MGM is in Hurricane Utah. I haven’t shot my gun yet. But a few other guys down here are touching three rounds at a hundred yards. And are ringing a steel 10 inch target at 625 yards 3 for 3 shots. Pretty good for a muzzleloader.

A7A15C07-186C-452C-BBF7-9E3B12BCEF75.jpeg

My Paramount is ordered (2019 .45 cal) the new ones are not available. I really did need another gun!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom