What muzzy for Utah?

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
Given the buzz about muzzy scopes in Utah, what brand/model muzzleloader would you buy? Some new models seem more like modified rifles, so are there thoughts that they will eventually be banned as well? I don't want to buy something that I can't use in a few years. Thoughts?

I don't think Utah will ban in-line muzzleloaders. They may back pedal on magnified scopes some day in the future.

I use a CVA Optima with a 3-12 Vortex scope. If I was buying a new muzzleloader, I'd probably do a long range model. I've killed all my muzzleloader deer within 75 yards. Didn't need a scope for any of them.

20220927_181038.jpg

I agree with you 100%,
Archery and muzzleloader hunting has always been a stock in close method of hunting.IMO

I have a CVA Acura mrx. I think it’s a solid mid range option and its been great for my uses. Killed two whitetails down in Texas at 100 and 125 but have practiced out to 300 no problem. Haven’t hunted with it here in Utah yet.

IF the law ever changed, you could always sell the Muzzy... But you could still shoot with one, even you can't hunt with it. :)

I don’t think they will change the laws on the gun itself. I think there will be a “modern” classification for inlines/rifle like muzzleloaders. And I’ve heard the wildlife board is leaning towards going back to the 1x

If ya want to be safe go with a CVA Acura or Optima or something comparable. Throw a scope on it and hunt away. If the state takes away scopes you can easily put a peep sight on it.

If ya want to be safe go with a CVA Acura or Optima or something comparable. Throw a scope on it and hunt away. If the state takes away scopes you can easily put a peep sight on it.
Think there is a chance State will go ‘open ignition only’?

Hey LittleBig!

If They Take The Scopes!

This Is What Will Replace Them!

Gunwerks anything is way beyond my pay grade Bess!
I would look at their "open sights" if it comes to that. I just hate to drop good money on a rig that won't be legal in a year or two if you get the gist of my question.
Thanks guys. Any specific suggestions of which make and model?

Anything is better than what we have. I would really like to see a completely overhaul of the muzzleloader gun regulation. I would certainly like to see magnification scopes gone and for me I would like to see regulations like New Mexico or Oregon have. When will we hear anything from the Wildlife Board regarding this subject? Soon I hope.

I bought a Paramount and its a tack driver, absolutely love that weapon. Its cheating for a muzzy hunt but I'll use it as long as it's legal. I'm a bow hunter at heart so getting close is something I love about hunting. Man skills vs critter survival abilities, they are extremely good at survival skills, they have one job....staying alive and they are pretty good at it.

Just Sayin LittleBig!

You Don't Have To Buy That High Dollar Gun Just To Get That Sight Set-Up!

Gunwerks anything is way beyond my pay grade Bess!
I would look at their "open sights" if it comes to that. I just hate to drop good money on a rig that won't be legal in a year or two if you get the gist of my question.
Thanks guys. Any specific suggestions of which make and model?

Think there is a chance State will go ‘open ignition only’?

Even if Utah somehow manages to go open ignition (which I doubt) you can buy the 'Northwest' breech plug for the CVA Acura and be legal. The breech plug has holes drilled along the knurled end so the primer is open air and you would use a #11 primer with Triple 7, Pirodex, or Black powder. If you want to cover all basis buy a CVA Acura Northwest model which would make you legal in the most restrictive states then you buy the following accessories which juices up your Acura:

Blackhorn 209 breech plug so you can run that powder and Magnum 209 Primers

E. Arthur Brown Picatinny Rail with peep sight. Take the peep sight off and mount a scope for scope legal Cheat states. Otherwise use the back peep sight for open sight states.

For open sight states for your front sight use a Williams Globe front sight with various reticles. With the peep sight you can put in reticles with aiming posts or overlay a couple of them and shoot out to 300+ yards with a peep if the lighting, your shooting, and your vision is good enough. Goggle this--plenty of info out there or hell PM me

This setup is the ultimate multi state setup:

Oregon and Idaho-use the Northwest ignition system and open sights

Nevada and Colorado use the BH209 breech plug appropriate bullet and open sights

Utah and other scope legal Muzzy cheat states use the BH209 breech plug and mount a scope on the rail and shoot to 300+ pretty easy

There ya go--the ultimate multi-state muzzy setup

Even if Utah somehow manages to go open ignition (which I doubt) you can buy the 'Northwest' breech plug for the CVA Acura and be legal. The breech plug has holes drilled along the knurled end so the primer is open air and you would use a #11 primer with Triple 7, Pirodex, or Black powder. If you want to cover all basis buy a CVA Acura Northwest model which would make you legal in the most restrictive states then you buy the following accessories which juices up your Acura:

Blackhorn 209 breech plug so you can run that powder and Magnum 209 Primers

E. Arthur Brown Picatinny Rail with peep sight. Take the peep sight off and mount a scope for scope legal Cheat states. Otherwise use the back peep sight for open sight states.

For open sight states for your front sight use a Williams Globe front sight with various reticles. With the peep sight you can put in reticles with aiming posts or overlay a couple of them and shoot out to 300+ yards with a peep if the lighting, your shooting, and your vision is good enough. Goggle this--plenty of info out there or hell PM me

This setup is the ultimate multi state setup:

Oregon and Idaho-use the Northwest ignition system and open sights

Nevada and Colorado use the BH209 breech plug appropriate bullet and open sights

Utah and other scope legal Muzzy cheat states use the BH209 breech plug and mount a scope on the rail and shoot to 300+ pretty easy

There ya go--the ultimate multi-state muzzy setup
I was just curious is all.
I am not in to the long range thing.
I like to see their eyelashes when I pull the trigger.
I have a Remington ML700 to cover me for the states where my Encore is not legal.
Thank you for the information though, I do appreciate your research.

I was just curious is all.
I am not in to the long range thing.
I like to see their eyelashes when I pull the trigger.
I have a Remington ML700 to cover me for the states where my Encore is not legal.
Thank you for the information though, I do appreciate your research.
I didn't mean to come off harsh, sorry if I did.

I researched this quite a bit when buying my muzzy and feel like I have a really good setup and other fellas can benefit from something similar

I didn't mean to come off harsh, sorry if I did.

I researched this quite a bit when buying my muzzy and feel like I have a really good setup and other fellas can benefit from something similar
No worries Air, I did not even feel that at all!
Everything is good!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom