What should I buy her?

huntazido

My wifes Birthday is Sept 28th. She said she would like to get back into photagraphy now that the kids are getting a little older. I know zero about cameras. I still buy the disposables and carry them in my pack when I go out. I know, I'm not worthy.

I need some help. I have a budget of $700 - $1000. I would like a to get her the most bang for the buck. She will mostly take outdoor still pictures.

She said I could even use it to start taking some wildlife pics. So I'm guessing I need something with a larger lense or that can possibly be upgraded later. If I do go to another lense what should I get?

Are there things I should absolutley get or avoid? Who has the best prices?

Recommendations please, I'm all ears and eyes.

Thanks

The Nikon D40 is small and would fit in most gals hands well. You can use any Nikon lens with it. I thought about before I got the D80 trying to save some dough but my hands were too big for it. What ever you do... if you do choose the Nikon, DON'T BUY ANY OTHER LENS BUT THE 18-200mm vr for your wife. The lens is probably $900+ but any other lens in a kit is a waist of your money.
The 18-200vr (not really any bigger than the 18-135) is still small enough for your gal to carry around and the camera with lens will fit in many camera cases.
If you can, go for it.

huntazido,

I would reccommend looking at www.dpreview.com to help you in your search.

Great site to check out when you are looking for a camera. They have detailed reviews on cameras and some really good forums like a beginners section and also sections dedicated to each major manufacturer.

Mark

Sorry I told you the old model. The new model is D40x and I did see one at a Nikon USA dealer for $629.95 body only.
I also saw the lens at the same dealer for $729.95, they have come down from a few months ago.

just be aware that the d40 only can operate AFS lenses. This is important because it means you cant run the 80-400 or many other non afs lenses, should you decide to use the body for wildlife. . . I would not recommend the d40 if you plan to use it later for wildlife. . .

In the budget you mention the best bet is the Nikon D40. It is a small easy to use camera that takes amazing pictures. You can get the basic kit with the 70-300Nikon VR lens and everything you need for approximatly your budget. We have specials for the MM forum members.
The 18-200 is an amazing lens but with that and a body you will blow away your budget.
Call me with any questions

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
575 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10022
212-753-5128
www.cameralandny.com

TF,
Man did I miss that one, went right over my head. I will shut up and go back to my begginer class. Not being able to use the auto focus 80-400vr would be a bummer for wildlife photo's.
Note to self: Read ALL of the technical data VERY CAREFULLY bullwrinkle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom