What size cooler would hold a quartered out Mule Deer?

I have a 165 qt cooler that works great for this. There is enough room to have block ice on the bottom and a little wood to keep the meat out of the water. This is for gutless method deer. Bone in front and rear legs, the rest boneless meat

I've been super glad I bought an "oversized cooler" years ago. If you ever decide to shoot elk or moose sized game, multiple animals, or meat plus cape it's always good to have more than enough room. I almost always save capes and sometimes life-sized skins.

Sometimes I'm in a hurry to get antelope on ice during the early season dates when it can be super hot so I don't bone them out. It's nice to get them in a cooler and not have to worry about room! I guess I'm picky and don't like my meat or capes wet. I make sure the ice is on the bottom with a layer of trash bags between the meat/capes and ice......and drain water as often as needed. Wet meat or capes is asking for problems on extended trips!

You may want to look at some of the youtube videos that compare different coolers melting ice vs time. Just because a cooler costs a small fortune doesn't necessarily mean it is better!

If nobody else will, I guess I have to.
94BB0B68-58E5-4ADD-9D54-C38B9E9298EE.jpeg

60-70 qrt should be plenty. Walmart has coleman coolers that are 120 qrt i believe for about 60-70 bucks. These work great. We throw one cooler in for a trip and can hold 2-3 deer with ease.

Here's my set up.. I use a Igloo cooler not sure of the size. But I made a rack out of PVC pipe and an old wire shelf. I use old antifreeze jugs filled with water. Four fit perfect in the bottom under the rack. And I have some freeze packs for on top of the meat. I wrap all the frozen jugs and packs in canvas until I need them keeps them frozen longer. Then I try to put the canvas on top after I fill the cooler with meat. If it will fit. I always try to cool the meat down as much as I can before I put it in the cooler so it won't sweat. I've put some good sized Deer quartered plus back straps and trim in there.

59557sam1109.jpg

71761sam1110.jpg

77103sam1111.jpg

A 65 will hold a quartered Arizona desert muley which tend to be a tad smaller than average. I'd go with 100 just to be safe and have room for a cape. That's bone in. I only bone quarters out at least 5 days after kill.

Here's my set up.. I use a Igloo cooler not sure of the size. But I made a rack out of PVC pipe and an old wire shelf. I use old antifreeze jugs filled with water. Four fit perfect in the bottom under the rack. And I have some freeze packs for on top of the meat. I wrap all the frozen jugs and packs in canvas until I need them keeps them frozen longer. Then I try to put the canvas on top after I fill the cooler with meat. If it will fit. I always try to cool the meat down as much as I can before I put it in the cooler so it won't sweat. I've put some good sized Deer quartered plus back straps and trim in there.

View attachment 38761

View attachment 38762

View attachment 38763
Nice!

View attachment 38761

View attachment 38762

View attachment 38763
That's a cool set up

yeti just got back from a fishing trip and had my yeti in the sun for most of each afternoon and had four blocks in it when I left on Thursday. Got back yesterday (tuesday) and still had half the blocks of ice left. It is worth the money for them I have two and bring both when hunting elk but usually only one is needed for the mule deer buck quartered.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom