What tags can I draw with the points I have?

Huntinfool18

I have 7 points in Utah. What tags would I have a decent chance at drawing? Rifle or muzzle loader. Or do I need to wait a few more years?

I have 7 points in Utah. What tags would I have a decent chance at drawing? Rifle or muzzle loader. Or do I need to wait a few more years?
You can draw any general season tag you wanted but if you're wanting limited entry deer tags my guess is the only tag you could draw is a couple of the later muzzleloader deer hunts on general units. You are still many years away from being a guarantee on any of the regular limited entry tags.

I guess I should have been more clear. I have 2 points for general tag and 7 for LE tags.
What areas should I be looking at for general? And I’ll keep building my LE points

No one will really give you the answer you are seeking. Think about it: someone gives you a unit to apply for and hundreds more people apply, therefore ruining your (and their) odds for next year. Odds can and do change every year. YOU have to do the work and figure out what units you have a chance of drawing. The odds are available on the Utah website. Good luck.

If you do too your homework, and figure out some units you might have a decent chance at, then ask: “what caliber bucks/bulls are realistic in the ABC unit?” You might get some responses. But you can also use the search function on here for info on specific units. They have been discussed a bunch in the past

To give you some perspective, I have 17 elk points and 16 deer points, and I am getting close to being able to pull a tag in a good (not top tier) Unit. With the people in front of you, it will be substantially more points for you to get to that point. Hope you are young!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll keep banking point for a few more years
Huntinfool18: If you just "bank points", you have 0 chance to draw. Actually put in for the hunt you want to do and give yourself that opportunity. There's a MM member here not from Utah that drew a Henry's rifle tag with like 1 point. At least give yourself the chance, don't just buy points. You never know when it will be your last year to hunt.

I have 23 points for deer and 9 for elk. Even with that many points for deer the odds of drawing a great deer tag are slim but like they mentioned earlier someone has to hit the lottery. Keep putting in and playing the game with the rest of us. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom