What to do in Elko

G

Gotlost

There is a good chance I'll be spending a weekend in mid August in Elko, I'll be attending a class at UNR fire school the first week then teaching the next with 3 days off in between.
I don't know alot about the area other than the Ruby Mt are to the east of there.
I'm up for about anything other than sitting in town.

I'll have my pick up so I can take what ever gear I mite need.

fishing, camping, hiking ect.

I'd hike the Lamoislle Canyon trail @ the end of the road. Great climb the first 3-4 miles, beautiful scenery and the possibility of seeing deer, sheep or goats.
a few small lakes in there too that I believe have trout in em.

I love the Rubys. I could retire in Elko. Close to everything I love.

Iffen it was me, I'd probably hit one of the Hold'em tables too.

well you need to eat at the Star resturant for one !!!! Who do you work for Gotlost? I have been to UNR fire school 2X now.I didn't have my truck with me but next time i go i will and plan on doing some exploring.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-09 AT 11:46PM (MST)[p] This will be my 2nd time teaching , been there 4 other times but normally I'm in for the class and then fly out the next day. I work for Frontier in Cheyenne.

+1 on the Star.

I'm trying to limit the time I spend at the tables. I could spend the weekend just glassing sheep.

i work for Shell Oil in Cal.With a little luck in the draw i"ll be planning a elk hunt to your state soon.

Lets see you can go hike up around angel lake if you dont want to deal with the lamoille area. If you want to do some fishing you can fish the streams up in the rubys, or Jack creek, and Tabor creek have some pretty good creek fishing. You can also fish wildhorse, southfork, or wilson the bass fishing is pretty good at wilson in the summertime. if you bring a four wheeler go check out the tuscarora mountains awesome sceneary up there might see some elk and deer up there and theres a couple of old cabins and mines up there that are cool to look through. want anything else to know just pm me.
-bryan

head north of elko to tuscurroa glass for deer and elk and shoot coyotes

contact me I more than happy to show you around and glass for animals

100_2124.jpg

Wes

That's not the Kinda wildlife I want to be glassing Wes.

But thanks for the info, I'll stay away from South 3rd!

GOOD for you!!!!!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Looks like I need to order some BLM maps to get a better lay of things, Lots of areas to look at.
One more thing, I get out there once in a while in the fall and winter are there any general areas I mite scout for chuckar.

Thanks again guys.

Lost;

GOTLOST. PM me if you are interested in chukar. I usually do a 3 day weekend north of Battle Mt. every year. Not an expert on the area but have found chukar everywhere I've been.

Get the Nevada guzzler map. There is over 2,500 guzzlers in Nv. You could spend a kifetime discoverin all of them. This year, a slightly below average year, I just picked a mountain range that had a few guzzlers close together and took off. Got into birds everytime. Not always limits but some pretty dumb birds late in the season. Hunted outta Winnemucca this year but it's all the same. Have fun.

+1 for Lamoille Canyon and Angel Lake. Lamoille Canyon is busier,but awesome country and animals to see. Angel Lake is one of my favorite places to camp. You could actually pull off both in 3 days if you wanted to. I live in Spring Creek out towards Lamoille if you need any more info., feel free to contact me.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-09 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]>hell if you are here in
>the fall and winter, you
>might as well go after
>th gamecock, that keep you
>busy for a while

I pull up the Nevada upland regs then spent a 1/2 hour just trying to find a pic of a Snowcock. As I see it hunting them is like sheep hunting with out optic.
You got to respect the guys that started hunting them in the early years.
If I had the time off to do it, snowcock would be high on my list of things to do.
Hum! Where's my bucket list.

I would like to hunt them but cant get that much time off to do so. I have talked to ppl that have hunted them and never got a shot off, but seen them

I went through the Museum a few years back, we got bumped from our flight and had to stay over an extra day. I cannot remember the wildlife display. I do remember the Basque, ranching and mining

I'd guess it's been around ten years ago, a guy donated a lot of his mounts and $$$ and they built a wing for it on the museum.

ya its a pretty cool display of animals in there hes almost go every animal in the planet on there. They also have the stump with the sheeps head that looks like i got petrified into there as well they found in the rubys.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom