What to look for?

DuaneZ

New member to this site, although I've been lurking for a few years. I thought I would post my question for some input. I have 15 NR points that I'm looking to use this year, and I'm focusing on units I could draw that would possibly have rut/migration activity. I've been researching/e-scouting on OnX, Google earth, and the CPW atlas in these units, but I'm trying to figure out which unit would offer me the best terrain/habitat. With OnX and Google Earth, how can I identify what different habitat looks like (sage brush, pinion juniper, aspens, etc)? What type of habitat should I be looking for during a 3rd or 4th season? With time running out before the application deadline I thought I would ask the question, then I can do more specific research this week before the deadline to decide which unit to apply for.

Let us know if you are talking elk or deer.

And also remember that NRs get 10% less of the total tags this year. In other words if there is 100 tags for a certain season, NRs get 10 less than we did last year.

Let us know if you are talking elk or deer.

And also remember that NRs get 10% less of the total tags this year. In other words if there is 100 tags for a certain season, NRs get 10 less than we did last year.
Actually it would be 8 less for NR on a 100 tag unit.

I assume you are taking out for youth and landowners?

I should have worded it: loss of 10 tags for every 100 in the general draw after the youth/ landowner tags come off the top

Last edited:
Sorry, for not providing better clarification. I'm looking at mule deer. I know which units I can draw, but within those units what type of habitat and elevations should I be searching? For example, when I look at the photo below, is this sage brush, pinion juniper, oak brush, etc.
1711331004696.png

I assume you are taking out for youth and landowners?

I should have worded it: loss of 10 tags for every 100 in the general draw after the youth/ landowner tags come off the top
100 tags - first 20 go to landowners - 80 tags left for the Res/NR split. Prior to this year NR got 35% so 28 tags - now they get 25% so 20 tags.

Sorry, for not providing better clarification. I'm looking at mule deer. I know which units I can draw, but within those units what type of habitat and elevations should I be searching? For example, when I look at the photo below, is this sage brush, pinion juniper, oak brush, etc. View attachment 140818
It’s really hard to tell from satellite photos. PJ’s and Ponderosa’s look pretty much the same unless there’s a shadow, and I would say your sceenshot could be either.

I would just draw the tag, and then come on here in June and say “not looking for anyone’s honey holes” “don’t need a giant but a nice respectable buck” etc.

If you are drawing a 3rd or 4rh season I would look at areas of 9000 ft and below. If you get snow, much lower. So I would look both at satellite images and topo maps. So, I would look in the Aspen zone first and work down from there.

You can find migration routes on most decent apps now days. If not Cabelas sells maps with migration routes. Other wise what @txhunter58 said above is what I usually do as well. I think I know the areas you are looking at and normally you would be spot on But with a super hard winter kill and bad Management those area and drying up.

Look at the Colorado Hunt Atlas you can select different species. Select individual game units, look at winter areas as well as migration corridors. Great tool to narrow down ares to study more closely.

I would just draw the tag, and then come on here in June and say “not looking for anyone’s honey holes” “don’t need a giant but a nice respectable buck” etc.
I guess that's what makes me a little different by jumping in early. I am looking for a monster and honey holes would be a great start. 😉

Look at the Colorado Hunt Atlas you can select different species. Select individual game units, look at winter areas as well as migration corridors. Great tool to narrow down ares to study more closely.
I found that useful. On-X I found also includes the same information. Thanks for the tip.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom