What unit?

Thanks guys. That was an ill attempt at some humor. musta been punch drunk last night. Would have been more funny if I had 20 points

I know I'm in no mans land right now. gonna save them points for when I move to AZ in a couple years.

Best of luck in the draws

They reduced the 12w early tag to 375 tags this year, a far cry from 500 three years ago. Last two years it was reduced to 450. That’s leaving a lot of bucks on the ground for the future in 12. No if would just damn rain in az, please and thanks. 2 inches this week would be nice..... it’s make or break time right now.

They reduced the 12w early tag to 375 tags this year, a far cry from 500 three years ago. Last two years it was reduced to 450. That’s leaving a lot of bucks on the ground for the future in 12. No if would just damn rain in az, please and thanks. 2 inches this week would be nice..... it’s make or break time right now.

Used to be a couple thousand doe tags available as well (several years). Spoke to the biologist may years ago and she was trying to increase the buck to doe ratio. Unfortunately, that also meant reducing the overall heard numbers as well. Been hunting there since the 90's and , end result, ...I see far fewer deer and far fewer bucks. Still one of my favorite places to hunt though.

Couldn’t resist. I actually hope I don’t draw this year. Put in for long draw 12BW muzzle and 12BW late rifle. Already have a full fall but it does not feel right not to apply for AZ deer and sheep.
Best of luck to everybody

Nope you have to throw in. I have two draw hunts already also. You apply for the best and if you draw, well you fit your life around the tag, not for the tag into your life. My wife hates that statement lol.

Used to be a couple thousand doe tags available as well (several years). Spoke to the biologist may years ago and she was trying to increase the buck to doe ratio. Unfortunately, that also meant reducing the overall heard numbers as well. Been hunting there since the 90's and , end result, ...I see far fewer deer and far fewer bucks. Still one of my favorite places to hunt though.
It boggles my mind that she would think killing does was a good way to increase the buck to doe ratio. It's actually freakin retarded.

Tony,

My flawed math is a result of not being able to type and think at the same time- you caught that one fast....nice catch:)

More math;

A NR on a train leaving phoenix at 50 miles an hour to travel 228 miles to Jacob Lake will take about 10 years assuming you stopped in Kingman to get a hunters ed point and didnt miss applying for the draw during that time frame. This also assumes the railroad and AZGFD arent cyberattacked.

AZ has been very kind to me with deer tags. No complaints from me. I have also had a unit 9 early archery elk tag. While I don’t have Robb’s luck...no complaints from me. If everything goes according to my plans, I will be an AZ resident this next year and will draw a few more great tags in the future. Good luck everybody.

Tony,

My flawed math is a result of not being able to type and think at the same time- you caught that one fast....nice catch:)
In the real world of math, the ratios for your examples would be stated as 2.3:1 (or rounded to 2:1)& 1:1. And reducing the doe population to increase the doe-to-buck ratio isn't always a detriment to herd dynamics.

In the real world of math, the ratios for your examples would be stated as 2.3:1 (or rounded to 2:1)& 1:1. And reducing the doe population to increase the doe-to-buck ratio isn't always a detriment to herd dynamics.
This should have read..."to DEcrease the doe-to-buck ratio.." or "to increase the buck-to-doe ratio...."

In a place like the Kaibab, I could see needing to harvest some doe's because the overall population is high.

What I normally encounter online is guys wanting doe hunts in AZ because they aren't seeing enough bucks. As if harvesting doe's is going to magically make bucks appear.

In a place like the Kaibab, I could see needing to harvest some doe's because the overall population is high.

What I normally encounter online is guys wanting doe hunts in AZ because they aren't seeing enough bucks. As if harvesting doe's is going to magically make bucks appear.
Yup. Sometimes drastically culling does in a way high doe-to-buck situation helps both the habitat, the well-being of the bucks already in the population and the health aspects of future fawn recruitment.

I don't believe you're old enough to remember, but I am. :rolleyes:

When my grandfather & I first started hunting the North Kaibab in 1964, ALL permits were Any Deer & there was no east or west side. Everything was in one hunt with about 2K first-come, first served $5 permits from the USFS by mail not the AGFD. It had little effect on the quality of the hunt or the bucks available.

Last edited:

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom