What was the 1st Car/Truck you owned?

C

ClorideRUS

Seems we're getting all nostalgic here, so I've got a fun one for you: What was the first car/truck you ever owned??

Mine was a 1952 Chevy pickup. My Dad bought it for my 16th birthday. He paid $300.00 for it and I eventually paid him back (I think). Now, to put that in perspective, think about this. I was 16 in 1968, so that means the truck was the same age as me ?16? In today?s terms the truck would be a 1991.

2nd outfit I bought was a 1970 Volkswagen Beetle, (brand new! $1950.00) Hey? I got married; I could barely afford that and drove it for 9 years. Finally sold the car for $1800.00, still have the wife $PRICELESS.

RUS

Mine was a 1975 chevy truck. My dad purchased it brand new and I bought it from him when I turned 15. The truck was older than I was. Wish I still owned that truck, there were alot of great memoeries in that old truck. I remember my first real buck that I took when I was 17. I must have drove that thing around town for what seemed like a month, not really. I don't have the truck anymore but my wife lets me know how much she dislikes the buck looking at her when she goes in the hunting room to vaccum. Good Idea Rus. Has seemed a bit slow here.

First pick up was a '72 Jeep 1/2 ton when I was 15. first car was a '70 AMX 390 4spd, too fast for a 17 year old kid but I lived.

Roy and I had "The Tank". A 1974 Buick Electra. 19 feet long. Longest car in school. Baby poop yellow. We loved that car. Even snuck 3 people into the drive-in in the trunk one night. It's not like you pay by the person at the drive-in though. It's per carload so they didn't care that we were hiding in the trunk. LOL We just thought it would be funny.

We also had an 85' Vette. It was awesome. We were so cool. Whenever we went to the lake we'd just open up the hatchback and stuff our floaties in. (you think I meant a Corvette? lol CHEvette is more like it) I took that thing to college and ended up with a big repair bill and no car for part of my freshman year when it started to crap out on me (and I did put oil in it!). Being 6 hours from home my daddy worried about me so he bought me a new Grand Am for Christmas my sophomore year and Roy got the Vette' back. Ha ha ha!

Tell em' about your fun trip home in the freezing cold weather with no heater in that car, Roy. LOL

My first car was a 56 Buick special. My grandfather had inherited it a will from a friend. He had repainted it. Used to be two-tone green but he was color blind. After her was done it was green/sorta blue. Anyway it was a great car. My brother got it after I went to college and wrecked it. Seems like he wrecks every car he gets. My second car was a 73 Dodge
Charger SE, candy apple red with black vinyl roof. Man did the girls like that car.

Phantom Hunter

Mine was a '55 Chevy 2dr Post,I traded the neighbore my 10 speed bike for it ...'bout all I could do on my own for a 15 year old kid..............RIMROCK

My first vehicle was 56 Ford P/U. I put a Pontiac V8 in it that broke down all the time. My second was a 65 Comet Cyclone. Tricked out the motor and had a blast street racing back in the 70's.

Ed

466586450a504884.jpg

My first car was a 1972 Ford pickup. It wasn't really mine but it was mine to drive. Drove that truck for a long time. I bought my first truck in 94. It was a 91 Ford. Loved that truck and then ended up getting rid of it a year later when I got married and couldn't afford it any more, actually traded it in for a economical little car. What love will do to you. I still miss that truck.

Jeff

A 1963 Ford Falcon 4 door, three on the tree, with a 260 V8. Handed down to me from my parents who bought it brand new. Ugliest car at school, but I could pack 6 kids down to the beach no problem, surfboards on top, and Bad Company blarrin on the 8 track player.

67 chev short bed & camper for $950 in 73. in 75 picked up a 53 ford pannel for $45.00 in yuma az. had to dig it out of the sand. had a new flathead motor from sears. the 53 had set for years. we drug it home with a 1936 jd tractor. oakey

72 plymouth duster was first car ,,,, first truck was a 4 peel drive chevy 1/2 ton that the drivers door would fall off on if you wernt carefull opening it and the bed was a GMC bed ,,, cops would get real pissy , they look at the front and see chevy then look at the bed and see GMC lol

OK so TK has started the ball rolling and since I am feeling a little nostalgic today, I will fill in the details.
Mind you now - we never TK and I never "owned" these vehicles. Our parents did, we just got to drive them, but Mom and Dad never really drove them again.

So first off, yes, "The Tank" was a special car. TK has stretched it out a little - but here is what I tell people:

It was 1974 Buick Electra Four Door Sedan and it was 17 1/2 feet long, 8 feet wide with a 455, dual exhaust and a 4 barrel carb. instead of the speedometer to see how fast you were going. It had the good old "E-Z glide suspension" and you would roll like It had an auto trans so you could only do 0-60 in about 17 seconds but 60 to 120+ in about 6. When you kicked in the passing gear and the 4 barrel you could feel your head being forced against the seat and you started watching the gas guage the waves in the ocean when you hit a bump. You could fit 4 in the front seat, six in the back and 3 in the trunk. You did have to pay per person to get in to the lake so that came in handy a time or two when we went cliff jumping at Red Fleet. It had a short in the electrical system so the wipers didn't work half the time, unfortunately it was always the half that was snowing. It wasn't baby poop yellow either. The official color was "Sand" but the years had faded it out a little. We would park it under the basketball hoop in our front drive get a running start, jump off the front bumper and use the suspension to boost us up to dunk the ball. I carved my name in the hood with a pocket knife, but that was after it got the "machine gun" holes in the hood from a little run in with a mail box that was setting on a steel grate. (It was unintentional - my little brother and I were fighting over a tin of Grandma's fudge and since I had to wrestle the fudge away from him, I momentarily took my hands off the wheel and when I looked up BOOM! Mailbox city. I will never forget how he took off like a shot once we got out of the car and made sure we were OK - he ran a full speed dead sprint all the way back to Grandma's house and that is saying a lot because that boy hates to run)

That car helped me prove both physics and common local belief wrong one night by showing that you can take both the Maeser corner and Valora's corner at over 80 mph. You just can't do it by staying in one lane which is especially annyoing to the cars you are racing and the oncoming traffic, I think they both made it out of the ditch OK though.

Ok so on to the 'Vette. Ahh yes, another magnificent specimen of Detroit steel as well. A 1985 Powder Blue 4 door hatchback Chevette that had the exact opposite motor proportions as "The Tank". That little bad boy couldn't do 80 going down hill with a 90 mph tail wind, though one Wyoming Highway Patrolman did try and prove it to me one day when I was coming back all alone from a wrestling camp in Laramie. I paid the $5 fine to him in cash and hoped he would forget it, but of course he didn't so it did cost nearly 100 points off of my license. This car had very little room but in the beginning the doors opened pretty easily, which was good on the day that TK was driving with me (before she turned 16 and got her license) and we got got rammed by a little old granny doing a U-Turn on 1st South, so we jumped out, she threw me the keys and switched places before the old lady noticed.

There was enough room however to hide bottle rockets. TK found this out one Halloween night when we were shooting them off in a residential neighborhood at a cop's house (the guy was a big crooked phony jerk and had a son who was worse than him) and one of his fellow officers ran us off the road in his personal truck and made us forfeit the bottle rockets, except of course for the ones that TK stuffed under the seat.

It became TK's posession once she went off to college and yes she did put oil in it, but as she learned that once every two years just isn't enough, it did have its resulting share of mechanical problems. When I returned home from my mission Dad bought her a Grand Am (which got T-boned about two weeks later) and I got the 'Vette. I drove it because I knew about it's quirks and also because I was too poor to complain. It got me down to Cedar City and around town so I was OK with it.

I really impressed the girls in that car too! Boy let me tell you I had them crawling. OK so maybe some were crawling away, but down there you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a single over 21 yr old girl who desperately wanted to date an RM (return missionary) with a car. I had my share of rocking institute dance dates in that 'Vette, and it did have a casette player so I was never out of great tunes.

I sold blinds out of that car with my buddy Aaron in the summer of '94 but by then the doors weren't working all that well, especially the passenger door, and that became a problem when the "Road Rage" incident occurred. You see, I got mad at this car that was trying to pass me on the right on a residential street, then on the left over a double yellow and flashing and honking, so when we got to the next stop sign I threw it in to park and jumped out ready to throw down. Aaron couldn't get the door opened and by the time he had crawled half way out the driver's side to come and assist I was already on my way back to the car because it turned out it was just a couple of 16 year old girls who didn't really want to fight and were crying. Sheepishly, I listened as Aaron laughed and told me not to do that again unless the window was rolled down so he could open the door from the outside.

The AC worked well, but the transmission started going out and the heater went out shortly before Thanksgiving that year. That was ok because it appears that I had been swinging a dead cat and had acquired one of those over 21 year old single girls who were desperately seeking an RM with a car girlfriend at about this time. She had a much nicer car so most of the time we just used hers. Our relationship was just starting to get pretty heated then and I didn't realize it at the time because her Prozac prescription hadn't run out yet but her manic depression was beginning to stifle me just a little. I guess I should have seen it when she got all upset that I hadn't proposed after only three weeks of dating. This all became crystal clear a little later when I finally did find out she was on Prozac, but only because she ran out of it.

Anyway, I was planning on returing home to Vernal, UT from Cedar City, UT (about a 6 hr drive normally) for Thanksgiving. TK had already left with our cousin Brandy but because I had classes and work and a date with the Psycho (let's not mention any names here) I was a day or so behind. The heater wasn't working but Dad and I planned on fixing it over the long weekend so I bundled up and prepared for the journey. I left Cedar at high noon the day before Thanksgiving. "No problem" I thought, "I will be home at 6PM, just in time to get ready to leave for the Bookcliffs."

Well, about 15 miles outside of Cedar, just past Paragonah, I noticed that my little car had topped out on the speed. "Hmmmm", I thought, "that's odd, I haven't really started climbing yet." Then as I did start to climb, the speedometer began to fall, and fall and fall and I had to put it in 1st gear just to make it to Beaver, which I did in precisely 1 hour and 45 minutes, normally a 50 minute drive. Finally, beginning to feel the cold and really annoyed at the mighty 15 MPH I was able to register going over the pass, I pulled in to a service station and checked the ATF - sure enough, almost bone dry. So I bought another quart and filled it up. I took it for a test run up the frontage road, felt a little kick and sure enough, I had my transmission back.

"Wheh" I said to myself. "At least I will be able to make it back to Cedar." And then, I found myself at the biggest crossroad of my life. I knew if I were to continue that I would be fighting the transmission and the cold the whole way home and I had at least 5 hours left. Or, waiting in Cedar was my Psycho girlfriend and I guess I could have Thanksgiving at her house, but then it wouldn't be the same, and she would be bugging me and there I sat with a big decision. It was a seminal moment in my life. If I turn right, it is all down hill to Cedar and I can try and get the transmission fixed, what I probably should have done. If I turn left, it is towards home, Thanksgiving in the Bookcliffs and my family. So I thought about it for another split second and then I turned left.

The trasmission began to give out again a few miles out of Beaver but I kept on pushing forward. At 4:23 I pulled in to Fillmore, got more transmission fluid and kept on going. At 7 I finally reached Nephi and my hands were numb from the cold. I got more transmission fluid and kept on going. Finally, the leak stopped and I was able to continue driving at a regular speed. At about 8PM I was freezing so I pulled into the Currant Creek Cafe, now gone, and asked if it was OK if I warmed up by their fire. They let me and even brought me a piece of peach pie a la mode. From there I made it to Duchesnse where I stopped again to warm up and from there I made it home at 9:40, almost 10 hours in to an easy 6 hour drive I (which I did in 4 1/2 in the Grand Am a little while later - got another ticket that night too - almost got thrown in jail and had the car impounded).

We never did find the leak in the transmission. It continued to run OK for about another year and a half, as long as you kept it full of ATF regularly and didn't mind being cold. I finally sold it for $200 and kind of felt like I had over priced it. No doubt about it, we got our money out of that car for sure.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-07 AT 03:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-07 AT 03:59?PM (MST)

I was handed down a '69 ford pick up. Pea green with a white cab.
No AC, AM radio only. It did have a CB with a PA system. I tipped it over on the way to school by driving way to fast in the fog and hitting a snowbank.
I also had a '72 Nova with "three on the tree". The floor was so rusted out you could almost "Fred Flintstone" in the back seat.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe. White 289 V8 AT. Paid $1650.00 for it back in 86. Still regret selling it to this day.

First car was a 1972 Mustang with a Boss 302. My first truck was a 1972 F-250 crew cab with a 390. Bought my first boat at 15(a Terry 460 cm bass boat) just after I got the truck. My first car was supposed to be a 1969 Shelby Gt 500 but my Dad sold it just before I got my license. He said that he did it to "save my life". Jackass, you know what that bad boy would be worth now? Haahaaa...
Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

The first car I drove was a '56 Chevy but the first car I owned was a '61 VW Beetle. 36HP. It had these "leather" hand hold loops above the door post which could double as sturrips in a pinch.

Eel

LOL Roy! Good memories and a good chuckle. I had forgotten about that door that didn't open sometimes.

>It had these "leather" hand
>hold loops above the door
>post which could double as
>sturrips in a pinch.
>

ROTFLOL STEVE! Yer baaaaaaad! lol

My first Truck I drove was a 91 f-150 that had been through the wrath of my dad, and then my 2 older brothers, lets just say it could have used a little body work. We figured that by the time it finally croaked it had been backed into around 20 times (no joke) I started calling it the invisable truck, I got my first speeding ticket in that truck going to school driveing 83 in a 60. Parents werent to happy, :)

I bought my first truck in 02 and it was a 98 dodge V-10 gas hog, but it was fast, I never lost a race in it. I paid it off 2 years to the day that I bought it. I then got a job that gave me a truck to drive, so my dad took it over, and he blew the engine in a year.

I now have a 04 f-150 and love it.

Jake H. MM Member since 1999.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-07 AT 08:12AM (MST)[p]First car was a '54 Plymouth Savoy w/ "Hi-Drive". You could shift it like a 3 speed, on the column, or put it in 3rd gear and drive it like an automatic. Got it when I was 15 and kept it about 7 years. Alot of drive-in movies, backseat memories!!!!

"Good mass & long brow tines"

don't remember what year it was but it was a Subura Brat. I beat the crap out of that little thing and kept on running. Finally rusted out enough that it was to ugly to drive

I guess the first vee-hickle owned was a '59 Dodge pickup, never saw the road... then I had a '54 chev 2 door post, again, never saw the road.
So my first actual running, driving auto was a '69 Chevelle SS 396... I was 17 when I got it.
Talk about a great car to go through highschool with!
I still have the old beast... badly needing a resto.

In 1996 when I turned 16, my grandpa gave me his 1965 ford f250. It had 60,000 original miles on it and was sweet. I loved that truck but sold it for $1000 when I went on an lds mission at age 19. First vehicle I bought for myself was a 1997 f150 extended cab when I got home from the mission.

Andy

>don't remember what year it was
>but it was a Subura
>Brat.

A BRAT! lol I remember those things. My 3 year old saw one the other day (he's obsessed with cars and trucks) and he got all excited and said, "AWESOME! Wook at dat cool...uh...what is that, Mom?" lol

1996, bought a mint 63 chev 2 door hardtop. Red with white top. Also had a 72 cad coupe deville. White leather, two door hardtop. It also was red with a white vinyl top. Big pimpin for being only sixteen.
MS
BTW, wish I still had em both

1 1956 GMC Stepside 1/2 ton, 3 on the tree 2-toned Green with a white top and the full wrap around rear window. Pops handed it down to me with a blown motoer when I was 15. I rebuilt the motor and sold it to a neighboring rancher the day after I turned 16 for $1,500.00.

Then I bought 68 SS camaro with a 396 for $1,300.00, drove it for 2 years and sold it before I started college. Replace it with a gold 76 Formula Firebird (Rockford Car) what a piece of junk that thing was.

For some reason I keep remembering the stereo I had which transferred from car to car. It was the original Pioneer SuperTuner with a huge round tuning dial, that thing was as big as an 8-track player, but it pumped out 20 watts per channel. I hooked it up to some radio shack mini-speakers, talk about pimping out my ride...G...Money!

In 1960 fresh out of high school, went to work for Sunsweet and bought a used 1953 Ford Crestline 2 dr from a dealer for $225.00. Had it two weeks and arranged to have it painted. Did all of the sanding, stripping of chrome etc. and even masked it off. Left a small hole in paper to drive it over to the Paint Shop.
After 5 days, my sister and her B.F. picked it up and brought it down to the plant for me.
There wasn't another car anywhere around NOCAL that color, I picked it out and they painted it. Cost was $25.00 for materials and $75.00 to spray and polish it out.

COLOR: Lime Fire Green

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom