What would you give for a kiabab tag this year?

So,a non-resident in their late 50's has max points, trying to draw 13B... The draw change to a 50% cap on max points means it's more like 50:50 odds of drawing before reaching average life expectancy.

Would this be the year to put down a second choice to a late Kiabab tag?

Elmer that's a tuff decision with max points.
Either way your in a good position to be in.
I'm hoping to draw the late Kiabab but sitting at 2 under max but barring a miracle the strip isn't really an option.
Good luck

Elmer, why not look at 13A for a second choice? Kaibab would depend on the size buck you're content shooting.

With 112 of you left most guys are 13B or bust, if you apply 13B and 13A I would think within 8 years you will have your Strip tag, probably sooner. Don't pass it this year. Let me know if you have questions on it.

My 2 cents...
The "good" news this year is that abundant winter/spring moisture will set up excellent forage conditions for growing big bucks.

The "bad" news - reduction of tags this year; 10 percent fewer for the early rifle hunt (450 instead of 500), 25 percent fewer for the late hunt (75 instead of 100), and 40 percent fewer for the muzzy hunt (30 instead of 50). Assuming about the same number of 1st choice applicants as 2018 (3200 for early hunt, 3400 for late hunt), then I expect it will take an extra bonus pt this year (as if point creep wasn't bad enough already).

Irregardless, good luck to all who apply. I'll probably burn my points and try to draw an archery tag this year. Looks like age, health and opportunity will converge this year. Would love to draw a rifle tag, but time & odds are working against me. Besides, I love the Kaibab archery hunt, even though it's probably the toughest hunt of all in terms of bagging a big buck.

Rockymtn personally I think the archery hunt is a better hunt to kill a big boy on than the early rifle tag unless there is big time early snow...
The reduction in tags sucks for our draw odds, but it's about time they cut the amount of tags including cutting tons of the doe tags!!
100 late tags is just too many in my opinion, sucks because I'm holding out for a late tag after killing the best buck of my life about 5 years ago in the archery hunt, but got lucky in the elk draws and just didn't have the time for both archery hunts the past several years, plus I got a good bonus buddy ?
Anyways good luck to y'all, and after hunting with my step dad on the late hunt last year I reckon all u guys Going for a Kaibab tag are making the right decision!

Always see plenty of big ones during the archery hunt - just hard for me to close the deal, but I keep trying and that's the fun & excitement! I agree with reducing antlerless tags - still a good opportunity for young hunters, but I believe there's potential for building the deer herd.

Will go for a late tag with my 1st choice hoping lightning strikes, but will have archery as 2nd choice. Any Kaibab tag is a good tag!

>My left testacle for a Kaibab
>tag. Or, both balls for
>a Strip tag!!

Now that is commitment! Good luck friend. They are both awesome hunts!

>So,a non-resident in their late 50's
>has max points, trying to
>draw 13B... The draw change
>to a 50% cap on
>max points means it's more
>like 50:50 odds of drawing
>before reaching average life expectancy.
>
>
>Would this be the year to
>put down a second choice
>to a late Kiabab tag?
>
This should be a great year for growth. Your question depends on what caliber of deer you are after. Also guided or not. Kaibab has great potential for good bucks with a lot of deer. Strip has less deer but some monsters. Good luck in the draw!

I got late Bab tag west side last year with only 11 points.It is awesome. Worth all Your points Not left nut tho , Had a chick try to take it last nite.LOL............BULL!

26930img08035.jpg

This is the photo that will appear in your post.

I blew 9 points in Wyoming on a piece of Junk so I would consider this Good $ their point system up there. Its a rip........BULLL

Draw change really screwed us for sure, I think late 50?s it's a serious consideration and they have been killing some big bucks on the kaibab and in your 50?s you can probably still get after them pretty well. I'm mid 40?s I am going to stick to strip for now but I get to retirement age and haven't drawn who knows. I always think if I drew now I can build points for a different hunt but if I draw in 15 years I would of had 15 points again already. Tough decision for sure I just want to hunt the strip not just to hunt for giants but to have the experience as I already archery hunted the kaibab when it was OTC

LAST EDITED ON May-28-19 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]I'm strip or bust. I've hunted the BAB several times but after killing a 205? droptine buck in 13B in 2015 archery I'm all in again for that hunt. Good luck in the draw.

Drew 12A west early last year with 0 points, so that is my first choice this year and same unit archery for 2nd choice. Saw lots of bucks in the summer scouting last year. And after archery hunting in California for 20 years I really think I would rather have an archery tag here in 12A than a riffle

How many points do you guys think it'll take to be guaranteed a Kaibab archery tag this year? 5 pts? 6 pts? Last year 6 pts guaranteed you a tag. There will likely be a handful of people switching over from other hunts that have 6 to 8 pts that will draw this year in the bonus pass. Hopefully there's a large group of people in the 5 pt pool that get drawn too.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom