What would you hold out for?

CouesFanatic

Last year I took a 367 bull with my bow in New Mexico. This year I have the Arizona 3A/3C archery tag. What kind of bull should I hold out for? What would you do?

Since you have killed one big bull
If it was me I would hold out for one bigger for a while
then after a few weeks or whatever I would look at harvesting at least a 340 or better bull.
But I haven't had a good shot at a real big bull yet so it would be hard for me to pass the first 320-330 bull that came along.

Coues-

Congratulations on a great tag! Perhaps you drew mine! First, let me say great job on taking a 367 bull in NM last year? Did you get this monarch in one of the coveted tags in western NM? If so, you are doing pretty well in the draw these days I must say.

Regarding your question in 3A/3C, if you ever wanted to truly dedicate to a 400 class bull, then this might be a good tag to do it. When I draw this tag some day, I may dedicate some time for that 400 class bull, but if I end of taking a true 340 or 350, 360 or anything in this range with my bow, then I am a happy dude. For me, it is more about the hunt than the score. I would not trade my DIY 320 NM wilderness bull for a 380 AZ thats for sure. Personally, no matter what, I think you will have an outstanding hunt and whether you get a 350 class versus a 380 or that very elusive 400 class, this is all good no matter how you slice it. But, I am a elk nut who does not necessarily judge succes by the score. In fact, my goal is simply a 300+ bull, taken my DIY way. However, I have talked to several folks who said they passed on 380 bulls early in this hunt and come to regret it. Then again, I often wonder if the guy from NJ really knows what a 380 looks like............. All I can say is dedicate every minute of every day to this hunt, scout before as much as possible and have fun, man will you ever have fun!!!

Best of luck and look forward to seeing a picture of your bull.

Regards,

JL

I think in your situation I would have to have a real big guy along to hold me back when the first 360+ bull comes by, just so I might have a chance at a bigger bull. I would start out looking for a WOW factor bull, something unique that you really want and then as the time shortens, have a realistic goal picked out---350+ then on down to 340+, but know what your limit is on not shooting---such as nothing under 330", whatever your personal feeling is. Good luck to you, I would shoot the first 340" bull I saw but I am not used to seeing big bulls, and that would be huge for me.

Nothing less than 400"!!!!!! Ha ha, just joking. If it was me I'd try to beat my personal best and then take something less when it came close to the end of the hunt. Personally, like stated above, I love the hunt more than the score but you just gotta give yourself a self satisfying goal. Goodluck, look forward to the pics. fatrooster.

I would make my decision during the hunt. Seeing one or two tremendous bulls would keep me going as would seeing several lesser bulls (340-360). knowing you have great backup possibilities would make me hold out longer. For the first 2-3 days, my sights would be for a bulls better than your 367. After that, play it by what you see, how the elk are acting, etc.

Good luck and make sure you have fun along the way.

If you don't find a giant look for something unique 2 years ago a friend passed up a bull that was about 180 on one side the left was was webed and palmatted had 11 points on it the best I could tell on video wouldn't score well but was very different he wanted a 6x6 and got one that scored 301 I would never have passed it up and I had a 355 that year it's all in the eye of the beholder and the story that goes with it good luck

Shoot the 1st bull that put's a big smile on your face. You know that feeling when you see a good animal. If he makes you go Wow!!, let him have it. Score is really not that big of a deal. Enjoy your hunt! Post pic's when it is done!

Chad

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom