What would you recommend

H

huntnut111

I'd like to hear your opinions. I have twin sons that I'd like to buy matching guns for and give them to them when they're an age when they'll understand the value of passing down a gun; the guns will be engraved. My only problem is that I can't decide on which guns to buy...I'd like to hear what you have to say. I'd like guns that have a good American feel to them.

Thanks

I agree, but I'd get them a pair of M70in the pre-64 version. I don't think you can get much more "American" than that.

Although I am a huge Remington fan, in this case I would say take a look at a Ruger. Bill Ruger was and is what America is all about. You didn't specify cartridge, but, 30-06 says America also. mtmuley

Huntnut111;

It may help if you can put a dollar figure on the total costs of the guns and the engraving as this can get very expensive. I know because I did this for my two Sons when I retired from law enforcement, and I already owned the two guns a Colt National Match 45ACP and a Belguim made Browning Hi-Power.
The engraving and custom grips set me back over 1,000.00, but it was worth it. Also what are the ages and do you have anything in paticular, such as hunting rifles, shotguns, or handguns.
This is another route you may go instead of buying new guns, if you have some family firearms that may have been your favorite or Grandpa's favorite, you can have them refinished and engraved and the boys will be getting a family heirloom that they will cherish and pass down to their kids. If the boys are older and one likes hunting with a rifle and the other prefers bird hunting, you may want to choose a shotgun for one and a rifle for the other. You have many ways to go with this one, and it is a great gift idea that the boys will cherish.

RELH

Thanks for your responses. I'm up in the air as far as rifle pistol or shotgun; originally I was thinking maybe something like a marlin 30/30 or a winchester but I don't think the new ones have the nostalgia they once had. My boys were born in 2004 and I'd like to buy two new (produced in 2004) consecutive serial# guns. I love my ruger vaquero so maybe a new blackhawk (these guns won't be presented to them until they're much older) Another thought was to buy them a pair of nice 20 guages or .410's....it's a complete tossup; the guns will be engraved with my name, the date and then their names and the date I give it to them and they'll do the same for their first born sons. So a rifle or shotgun would be better in the sense that they could hold more engravings.

I like your idea of 2004 guns and you picked two very good models. using the Vaquero or blackhawk, and the Marlin is a good choice but I would look at the 45/70 cal. Get the cowboy model, not the guide gun that has the ported barrel.
As I mentioned before my engraving and custom grips set me back 1,000 bucks. This was because the first engraver did a crappy job on the lettering, I also had my name and my Son's names and other lettering done with the engraving. I found out that alot of engravers can do very good scroll work, but most of them really suck at doing lettering. Because of this I had to send both guns to a 2nd. engraver to correct the poor work done by the first. This cost me double on the engraving.
I am going to give you the web site address of the gun engraver, that I can highly recommend for scroll and lettering, and the site for the custom laser engraved grips in case you go with a set of handguns.

Engraver---Dale Woody at www.gunfancy.com

laser engraved grips---www.jmbdistribution.com

Both sites show pictures of their work and both will work with you on any idea you may have. prices are reasonable. On the laser engraved pistol grip site take a look at Custom Designs page 2 and you will see the Colt and Browning grips that were custom designed for my two guns. they both have the name "Hatfield" on the grips.

I hope this helps you in your choice and you will be creating two family heirlooms to be passed down for several generations.
RELH

Yes the Winchester is very American, but it is the model 73 that is considered the American gun that won the West not the late comer model 94. Marlin has been around almost as long as the Winchester and was a major competion to Winchester especially in the larger calibers such as the 45/70. Also the versatility of the 45/70 allows it to be a better short range hunting caliber then the 30-30.
RELH

These will probably be your sons first guns, right? Have you thought of something in .22 lr ? Stevens is making their little Favorite again. My 2 year old has one of the originals to look forward to. mtmuley

mtmuley,

I've really been thinking about going with a pair of .22's and I think the only thing preventing me from going with a .22 is that I'll be giving them to the boys when they're a bit older maybe 18 yrs old so that I can be assured that they'll understand the value of an hierloom. So if they're 18 they may want something like a .357, 30-30 etc; that is assuming that they decide they want to shoot the guns I give them, they may want to keep them unfired. I want to make sure I get this right and boy it's a tough decision. I go back and forth from rifle to pistol all the time. One thing I've been thinking of is that a rifle would provide more space for engraving through the generations. By the way I'd like to hear some opinions on what people prefer as far as engraving goes, (stainless or blued?) I appreciate all the help!

I believe your thinking of an heirloom is a gun that can be used and enjoyed by you and your sons as they come of age to bigger and more specialized guns. Take them plinking with a .22 Shoot cans, gophers, paper, whatever. My most cherished rifle is a beat up, won't shoot straight, shot out, .22 single shot. I shot this rifle with my grandpa, my dad and my brother. Lord only knows where grandpa got it. Some heirlooms shouldn't have to be shiny and untouchable. My dad and grandfather are gone, but the rifle isn't. mtmuley

I think blued firearms look best with engraving, gold fill the engraving and it even looks better. You may want to consider a lever action rifle if you feel there is a need to put more names down the line. The flat sides of a lever action has alot of space for future engraving. You can have the engraver do a scroll edge around the receiver edge sides and place the names inside of the area surrounded by the scroll.
My personal feelings is that a lever action with a octagon barrel, and a nice walnut stock is one very beatiful rifle. Take a look at both Marlin and Winchester, I know that Marlin offers their cowboy leveraction with a octagon barrel, I am not sure if Winchester has one anymore. you will need also to check different styles of engraving to decide which style will be the best for you. You have plenty of time, don't rush it. You may want to decide on the guns first and buy them, then later check out the engraving and have it done down the line. This way you can spread the cost out over a period of time and be able to get the best that you want.

RELH

No offense to RELH, but I think too much emphasis is being put on the engraving and the prettiness of the weapon. Don't be afraid to use the firearms you decide on. A bump here and there in the pickup. A scratch when possibly getting prone for a shot. Use the guns! I personally do not have any unfired, perfect, never fired, pistols, shotguns, or rifles. I enjoyed them all with my family while my family was still here. I have a Winchester model 94 my grandfather bought new when he was 14 years old. He bought this rifle in about 1930. Can you imagine the sacrifice and suffering he endured to buy this rifle? It was in the beginning of the Great Depression. I bet one shot kills were expected. This rifle is in great condition, I suppose because of the circumstances, he took great care of it. Now I am. Go with your heart, and not the aesthetics. mtmuley

MtMuley;
No offense taken. Of all the guns I have own, only the two I gave to my Sons were engraved. I emphasized the engraving because the person indicated that it was important to him to have his name and Son's name engraved on the guns. He also indicated that he wanted room enought to add more names,possible Grandsons, as the guns are passed down in the family by his two Sons. The engraving does not have to be so elaborate where someone would be afraid to use the guns for hunting.
I somewhat know where he is coming from because the two guns I passed on to my Sons will be passed down by them to their Sons. We have six guns in the family that have been passed down for two or three generations and these guns are still being used for hunting or self defense purposes. my oldest Son's favorite rifle is the 300 Wheatherby given to him by his Grandfather just before he passed away. My Son killed his first elk with that rifle in Montana and called his Grandfather via cell phone from the mountaintop and told his Grandfather about the elk. His Grandfather was elated and passed away several days after that call. Needless to say, that gun is my Son's favorite even over the custom rifle I built for him.
I could never be a gun collector for investment reasons, like you I want to shoot the guns that I have and you will never find a unfired gun in my family, but other persons may think different then you or I do about using the guns in the field.

RELH

RELH, What your son did with that rifle definitely makes it an heirloom. Especially considering where it came from. I am not saying engraving and such is unnecessary, I just think a gift such as a firearm is better appreciated if it is used. Just like your son used his. Having stories to tell is kind of an heirloom also. mtmuley

I appreciate all of your help and advice!! I've chosen a Marlin 1894 stainless steel in 44. There are only a couple of gun makers making all stainless guns that I could find; Marlin, Uberti (an Italian company) and some other Brazilian company, so it made it easy once I decided to go with stainless. I'm excited about the guns but it sure isn't easy when you have two sons to buy for. I have a gun that my dad gave me that I killed my first deer with but I have twin sons so I have no clue who to give it to; I guess I should have shot my first deer with two of my dad's guns huh?:) Anyway once again thanks for all of everyone's help.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom