what you packing?

Mlopez

wondering what my fellow hunters carry as a sidearm when your up in the mountains be it scouting, looking for sheds etc? I carry a 22 pistol with me but thinking of carrying something bigger but not so heavy. 22 is really just to make noise if need be, but thinking of a 40cal or .38 possibly.

wondering what my fellow hunters carry as a sidearm when your up in the mountains be it scouting, looking for sheds etc? I carry a 22 pistol with me but thinking of carrying something bigger but not so heavy. 22 is really just to make noise if need be, but thinking of a 40cal or .38 possibly.
You want power and no weight, there is one answer. S&W 340PD. 357 mag 5 shot that weighs 13 oz empty. It is my no excuses shorts gun or whenever you do not want to carry a full size. Have had mine about 12 years used as a backup for LEO work. As far loads you can use 38 plus P for everyday or you can put in 357 loads for woods carry -but hang on and wear a thin glove (mechanics etc ) while practicing.

If I carried it would likley be my Springfield XDM in 9.

I don't know if it's a weight / bulk thing or not feeling the need but I don't generally carry while on foot.

I could dismiss the weight / bulk argument by carrying my Ruger LCP9 as it's very compact.

Oh...but all my guns were tragically lost in a boating accident...;)

You want power and no weight, there is one answer. S&W 340PD. 357 mag 5 shot that weighs 13 oz empty. It is my no excuses shorts gun or whenever you do not want to carry a full size. Have had mine about 12 years used as a backup for LEO work. As far loads you can use 38 plus P for everyday or you can put in 357 loads for woods carry -but hang on and wear a thin glove (mechanics etc ) while practicing.
13 oz- nice! My 357 is the mountain lite version- full size but it does weigh 19 oz.

Carry a 40 Kahr when I do. Looking to get a Keltec PMR-30, 22 mag. Very light and comes with a 30 round mag. the unloaded weight is 14 0z. Won't break the bank either.

when there were more pigs around I would occasionally carry a small carbine. The one time I got bit by a bear, I could have been carrying an Uzi and it wouldn't have mattered. LOL

ive had a close encounters with a bear, luckily for me he was just as freaked out to see me and nailed it. freaked me out pretty good tho

My Ruger 10/22 is with me just about anytime I am the woods but I rarely end up using it. As far as carrying when I am out hiking, I never carry anything. Maybe one day I’ll wish I had something on me but I like to keep my pack as minimal as possible.

Don't pack it nearly as much as I used to, but when I feel the need, Taurus Judge with two or three 3" .410 000s, and two or three 45 Long Colts, depending on my mood...

...also occasionally carry an XD-S 45 acp or a Ruger LCR in 38 Special, but if I were ever able to actually hit anything beyond 10 yards with either of these I know it would be pure luck...

Bondarms 410/45lc. Only 2 shots but it carries nicely in a fanny pack . Started carrying a sidearm after a bear encounter on an archery hunt ...up close and personal, I realized my bow couldn't do the job in an emergency.

G26/147+P Buffalo Bore pretty much everywhere.

Considering a .410 pistol for upcoming 16E 1st season archery snake hunt...

G26/147+P Buffalo Bore pretty much everywhere.

Considering a .410 pistol for upcoming 16E 1st season archery snake hunt...
I don't know what others' experiences have been, but the first year I went into 16E (about 12 years ago) I saw several rattlesnakes. However, still tromping through the exact same areas, I don't think I've seen a single one in the last five or six years. Don't know what that would be attributed to, but just doesn't seem to be as many as there used to be.

Where's everyone packing the pistols? I just can't come to terms with one of those chest rigs underneath my bino chest rig being very comfortable. Seems something on my packs waist belt or shoulder strap would be better but I'm curious to hear what you guys are liking.

Where's everyone packing the pistols? I just can't come to terms with one of those chest rigs underneath my bino chest rig being very comfortable. Seems something on my packs waist belt or shoulder strap would be better but I'm curious to hear what you guys are liking.
Same as daily carry, on my right hip.

I don't know what others' experiences have been, but the first year I went into 16E (about 12 years ago) I saw several rattlesnakes. However, still tromping through the exact same areas, I don't think I've seen a single one in the last five or six years. Don't know what that would be attributed to, but just doesn't seem to be as many as there used to be.
Interesting. I am not sure what to expect... I'll be in there this month, so I'll report back on snakes- but that's encouraging!

Hopefully the many herds of giant 400 class apex predator bulls figured out how to eat the rattlesnakes. It's gotta be that... Or that the vipers only live where the elk are and so they all left at the same time... could be that too.

I only carry when in grizz country. (No need to otherwise) When I do, its a Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag with buffalo bore loads.

I use a holster with a strap sewn on the backside. I loop the side waist belt strap through the loop and the pistol rides on my hip belt of my pack.

I never carry a pistol....you guys are making me re-think it though. Only had 1 bear encounter and that was in NM. Freaked me out and I probably did the wrong thing by turning and running. Not sure what the bear ended up doing when he saw me....I was running the other way and only looking back to make sure he wasn't chasing me. That was the most scared I have ever been in the woods.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom