Whatcha Think?

Muley

Here's my tag story this year. I hunt elk with my friend who's a Lakota Indian. I'm 77 and he's 70 but he's still as strong as a bull. He even has all his hair! So, he helps me get the meat out. I can't get an elk out alone anymore. Even a deer will be a struggle.

I'll be using an Isaac Haines flintlock and he's be using a longbow he makes along with wood arrows he makes too. We're both a bit old school. Normally, he hunts the bow season and i'm in the muzzleloader season. They overlap, so we hunt together.

We both failed at getting elk tags this year. I got a doe muzzleloader for some extra meat not knowing my elk tag would fail.

So, we're considering doing the 2nd rifle OTC in unit 55. Since it's the closest to us. I know that unit is very crowded and i've never got an OTC tag or hunted one of the units.

What do you think the rifle hunters will think when they see an old mountain man with a flintlock and an old Indian with a longbow hunting in their season? It should be entertaining. I doubt we'll get a bull but we'll never get one if we don't try. Hopefully, we won't get shot.

That's my tag story.

Make for a cool visual for sure... and you could have fun with it....but think your chance for any kind of success given the scenario are about as likely as finding flocks of passenger pigeons

I fly fish in the unit. It's just over the pass from me. So, I know it a little bit. I expect a lot of hunters and 4 wheelers. You never know. All the hunters might drive a young bull my way. I know the mature bulls will be hiding out trying to recover from the rut. 4 point law in that unit, so no spikes.

Not trying to be a spoilsport but until you have seen what a zoo some of those OTC hunts can be and 2nd season traditionally the worst season again not trying to be a spoilsport but you might think of coming up with a different plan...just sayin...look for some left over muzzy cow tags???

Great times with friends. Great image you painted there. Awesome. Have fun and maybe find so.e left over cow or doe permit to help feel the freezers.

Not trying to be a spoilsport but until you have seen what a zoo some of those OTC hunts can be and 2nd season traditionally the worst season again not trying to be a spoilsport but you might think of coming up with a different plan...just sayin...look for some left over muzzy cow tags???

My only other option and what i'm really hoping for is a leftover muzzleloader tag. We'll see how lucky I am. I just got a new (to me) Isaac Haines flintlock and i'd sure like to try it on an elk hunt. For sure it will be on the deer hunt but elk hunting is my passion and I want to do it this year. I don't know how many hunts I have left in me.

With the hunt you originally you proposed I think the ONLY chance for any success would be it really hit it hard...donest sounds like you up for it I say try for a left over muzzy tag OR get a landowner tag and access to some private for cow.... I say hunt now you will run out of health before you run out of money

Not sure about that. I'm trying to survive on an SS check and i'm always broke. ;)

Then again more health would be welcome.

Majority of those commenting on this post have never even hunter the unit and I’d bet atleast one or them for sure doesn’t even live in the state. Get the tag and go have fun with your buddy. Let the chips fall where they do.

The name of the thread is
' "Whatca think" and what I think is that for an older hunter, who say he has left his best legs behind him with no idea what a zoo, four wheelers everyplace, mega camps, people target shooting etc and looking for a quality experience with a long time buddy and going into that hunt with a flintlock and long bow I think the chances for that quality experience are low. According to him his hunts numbered. What I think is almost any of muzzy cow elk tag or doe has a much better chance of giving them some quality time in the field in addition it is during September giving them a much better chance at good weather and a beautiful time in the high country or low country together. That's what I think

Of course it is and that's the hunt I normally do. We failed in the draw this year. I'm looking for another elk hunt for this year. I haven't given up on a leftover coming up later on. There was nothing in the 2nd draw. The odds of getting a leftover is worse than getting a bull in an OTC hunt.

I've hunted for elk in Colorado since the late 50's. I've learned a bit in that time. The flintlock isn't a handicap. I always still hunt in close. My buddy is just as sneaky. The rifle hunters will be looking for easy long shots with their scoped rifles. We won't be hunting the same areas.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom