What's happened to X-12

NiceRack

What has happened to X-12? In the 80's I could always draw a tag. Now, I have not drawn in 6 years. My 2nd choice is X-9C which I almost always draw and have filled 6 out of 6 hunts (one a 30" 4x4) including 2 additional for my son (one a 28" 5x5). How many points do I need? I talked with one of my son's friends who drew X-12 last year with "no" points. I told him exactly where to hunt to have a good chance to fill, he did not. Unfortunately he was content to ride around on a quad all day road hunting between Virginia and Twinn Lakes. I told him there are few if any quality deer near roads.
This season I will have only 2 points....probably back to X-9C.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

One of the guys near the bottom, Garth Whitted, is a neighbor of mine. We hunted X-12 about 20 years ago and I missed the biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof at that time. I got buck fever and flat out missed. We saw very few deer and were hunting around the Burcham Flats area. I will be using my points next year and will be hunting that area. It is beautiful country. I've got max points but am tired of holding out for G-3 or G-37. Just gonna go hunt!

Steve

Wisward, that might be a wise choice. It won't happen this year most likly, but the local agencies have requested DFG to reduce G-3 tags for the next couple years.

It's just my son and I putting in together with the equal amount of points. I used to hunt Glines canyon all the way to Virginia pass with success almost every year. I know there are plenty of deer in X-12, the problem is getting drawn.
Paul

Do you mean you apply for X9C instead of X12 as your first choice? CA's draw odds have more first choice applicants than tags for X9C, no tags awarded to second choice for the last quite a few years (for sure since they dropped tags into the 300 something range)...and they look at everyone's first choice before anyone's second.

BTW, aren't you happy with X9C those results????

yes the draw odds have got harder, as they have in pretty much every other zone in the West. I have the same question as above. Why not stick with X9c if you have done so well there. You can't reliably (at least not over the last few years) depend on getting a 9C tag as a second choice so you will have to decide which one you want.

Hey Paul. You need to get on the F&G website and find out how many points that you have. If you've been rejected six years running, that would give you five points. You should have that tag and be working on your second one already. I don't have the stats up, but it seems the chances of drawing x9c as a second choice are getting slimmer. Maybe, somewhere along the line, you put x9c as you 1st choice and lost your point that way? Let us know what you discover.

Don P.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-10 AT 03:02PM (MST)[p]NiceRack,
The DFG published draw odds show more first choice applicants (400+) than tags availible (325) and no tags awarded to second choice in both the 2007 and 2008 X9C draws. I still have the 2007, 2008 and 2009 application books. The 2009 data should be out in the new 2010 big game digest soon... In the 2006 draw, there were 10 tags left fot second choice applicants (315 first choice applicants and 325 tags). If my memory is right, it's been pretty unlikely to get X9C as a second choice ever since they cut the X9C tags from 900 to 325ish several years ago. According to that, you had to use your first choice if you want X9C in the 2007 and 2008. So either you shouldn't be drawing X9C as a second choice very often, or the DFG published data is wrong.....I really want to know, as I'd love to draw it as a second choice, I'm totaly trapped in the top points pool, D tags forever until I hit Goodale:(
Thanks...

Yeah, something is not adding up right. If you put X-12 as your first choice you woulda had it by now. No way you would be drawing X-9C as a second choice.

In 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003......X-12 first choice and X-9C second choice and D16 third choice....I drew X-9C every season. When I was awarded X-9C my points were cashed in because all X zones are a premium zone. So I start with a clean slate each season. Prior to our new point system I lust wasn't lucky enough to draw X-12.
In 2009,.....X-12 first, X-9C second and D16 third....I was awarded D-16 (and filled out with a nice little 3 x 3 buck)and did not lose the point, so now I will have 2 points for 2010.
Paul

I might be wrong, but I believe the "new" points system began in 2002, or so. You shouldn't have lost your points by drawing your second choice after 2002, X zone or not, the way I understand it.

Don P.

Points only are considered/used on first choice. Second choice is random draw for those who did not draw their first choice. Second choice tags are only awarded for hunts that had less first choice applicants than tags available. A point is awarded if you did not draw your first choice, no matter what tag you get as a second. You could not draw X9C as a second choice in 2007 or 2008, unless the DFG statistics are wrong ot the draw process was messed up.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-10 AT 05:01PM (MST)[p]

I have hunting friends who draw x12 with one point.
If you are doing that well in 9c. Best you stick to that zone.
x10 is the only x zone I know of where you can draw as a second choice.
9c an x10 are very tough hunts.

T

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom