What's The Best Rifle For Deer Hunting?

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
Since this new site has lots of room to grow, I thought I would ask the question that will take up the most space on the site to answer( Probably the silliest question on the entire site!

I agree it is a bit silly but since I'm bored I'll bite.

I'd say the 30.06 is the best all around rifle caliber to own if you are unfortunate enough to only have one rifle.

Adequate for just about any critter except really big bears and not so much power you are going to blow chunks out of an antelope.

Still, I like having several different calibers in the cabinet.

BeanMan

Opinions vary. So in general terms, I would say that ballisticly the differences between getting shot with a 243 cal or a 338 cal in the vitals aren't gona matter a fraction as much as the hunter's abilities to place his shot where it needs to be. Our fathers and grandfathers packing 30/30, 25/35, & 30-06 would drop deer if the shot was true.
So to put my Opinion in the bucket I would say the best gun is the one that you can reliably hit your target with. In my case it would be a Remington 700 in a 25/06.

i like the .900 express long magnum in a remchester model 'levendyleven. the best deer rifle is the one you have. but the bestest is an old model 70 .270. because that's what i have and my dad told me so. so there. thppppppppppp.

LAST EDITED ON May-06-03 AT 12:24PM (MST)[p]RLH, Now that's the kind of answer I was looking for!Does it really matter anymore? this subject (rifles and caliber) has been hashed out so many times I can hardly stand it anymore!Just put it in the lungs! It'll die! It don't really matter-24 cal through .50BMG! Just Do It!--(HunterHarry)

i know a feller that killed a 6x6 bull with a .17 rem., on a bet. dropped it in it's tracks. too many folks try to make up for poor marksmanship with big bullets. a gut shot is a gut shot. take out the lungs and the rest follows real quick. i watched a kid shoot a 5x5 bull 4 times with a .30/.378 2 years ago and it ran off. tracked it down and finished it. he had hit it 4 times in the guts. use a good rifle in a reasonable caliber with decent ammo. and practice, practice, practice.

RLH: You are right on the money! A number of years ago I was hunting near Alpine Wyoming on the Greys River and a guy had killed a WHOPPER of a bull elk,a huge 6x6.It turned out that he had shot it with a 6mm rem. Lung shot!I know all the different scenarios "angle, bad shot, long range, wind,etc. can play into the equation but if you know your limitations, any modern caliber is OK! All these writers need to "shut up and hunt"! (HunterHarry)

i'll hunt with a busted wine bottle if that's all i have handy. just gimmee a tag and leave alone.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-03 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-07-03 AT 05:10?PM (MST)

RLH! you have spent too much time on the bear & cougar channel! I think that's all those guys hunt with but they use MAGNUMS!!!!!--(HunterHarry)

yeah, them fellers like to have fun. if you've ever spent much time follerin' your own hounds, you know why they're that away. if ya ain't done that, well ya just can't comprehend it. i've hunted with about anything. spears included. hell, i choked a lion to death with a belt once. true story too. so guess about any gun oughta work even better than that.

I know some of the local "starlight" hunters like to use a 22 mag or 22-250. They get lots of deer in 1 shot. Of course its head shots. If you do'nt believe me just ask em' when they git outa jail. :eek:

poachers are gonna be the death of the sport. in my book, anyone who knowingly and habitually breaks game laws is a poacher. night hunting is about as much a sport as soccer.

Absotutely! The penaltys for poaching, in my opinion, are not steep enough! It does little to discourage those dirtbags. Get caught, pay a fine and back at it. Not good enough damnit, not good enough!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom