what's the deal?

joebuck

Why is it that we as hunters are always looking for a little better rifle? Sure some of the new magnums and ultra magnums offer somewhat better ballistics. Isn't it a fact though that there have been adequate and indeed superior loads around for years?(Personally I think the Weatherby 340 magnum is the ultimate north american big game hunting cartridge) Are these new calibers merely created to sell rifles to the eager public? Indeed, why not? A new idea or experiment is always welcome. I am a gun nut and I know that there are many more out there who exceed my passion by tenfold.Lets be honest though, aren't we just buying these weapons for the sake of one-upsmanship?

Howdy,

I'm a gun nut too, and if you follow the first part of your logic, everyone should have loved to drive an Edsel when it first came out, and no other car would ever have been needed or wanted. HEAVEN HELP US. Your choice of caliber, rifle, and even hunting clothes is just a reflection on your personel experience and preconceived ideas...as is your choice of friends, favorite foods, wine, and of course automobile.

What I think is, use the rifle and caliber that gives you the most confidence...provided you can handle the weight and recoil.

Oh, by the way, I also shoot a .340 Weatherby... or at least I will on my elk hunt next year.

Coach

Here's what the deal is...it gets very slow down at the remington and winchester factories when most hunters like the guns they've got. It's pure marketing and it works. I've got way more guns that I could ever use but I still gotta get all the new calibers but I still end up leaving the house with the 300 H&H when things get serious.

JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom