What's the difference?

excaliber

What's the difference in the glass on the Swarovski SLC's and their El binoculars.

I thinking about getting a new pair of Bino's and was just wondering if anyone here knew the answer.

Are the El's worth 500 dollars more?

excaliber, I suggest going to your sporting goods store and taking those two pair of binocs outside and spot in day light and keep spotting until dark. Then you will see the difference and can decide if they are worth $500.00 more. I researched binocs pretty extensively last year and ended up buying the EL's 10x42's. I took about 10 pair of binoculars outside and adjusted them all for my face. Then I kept taking turns looking through them. For me the EL's were the clearest time after time with the slc's and the Leica trinovids an equal close second. This particular store did not have Leica ultravids in stock on this day so I was unable to compare them to the EL's. But to answer your question the EL's have a few more layers of phase coating on thier lenses making them brighter. The tubes are longer allowing them to transmit and magnify more easily than a shorter pair of binoculars. The EL's are ergonomically shaped and fit the hand much nicer. The EL's are lighter. Are they worth $500.00 dollars more? Only you can decide that. Good luck. fatrooster.

I've been using 8x30 SLCs for the past 8 hunting seasons, and they are great binoculars. This spring I won a pair of 8x32 ELs in a draw. While I love the SLCs, in my view they can't compare to the ELs. The ELs are noticeably brighter, particularly in low light. As fatrooster indicated, their design is also much more ergonomic. If you can afford it, buy the ELs.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom