What's your bone spotting optics?

Fencer

Those who hike all day looking for sheds what kind of optics you use? Mind to share and explain why? My spotting rig is a Chinese made no brand binoculars. It's heavy and can't see squat when light is low.

Bone spotting rig - 1.jpeg

Bone spotting rig - 1 (1).jpeg

It's time to step up I would appreciate advice from seasoned bone pickers what lens would be the best bang for the buck. I don't need fancy glass just something rugged. Thanks!

My buddy uses vortex vultures pretty good bang for your buck. 15x56 I believe I’m not sure they even make them anymore but anything vortex is going to good enough for shed hunting.

Mine wears contacts and I have no idea how someone could stick something on their eyeball

I rock 10x50 vortex, but I recently got a 8x42 athalon Midas, for archery, they are great glass for the money and I burn a lot of boot leather so should be adequate, I’m going to bust out the spotter for some of the more open country/ canyon country shed hunting this year

I’ve used a pair of Nikon monarchs for years and I’ve spotted quite a few sheds over a 1000 yards with them, recently picked up a athlon ares 15-45 spotter that has been pretty good so far.

I rock 10x50 vortex, but I recently got a 8x42 athalon Midas, for archery, they are great glass for the money and I burn a lot of boot leather so should be adequate, I’m going to bust out the spotter for some of the more open country/ canyon country shed hunting this year
Hey man is that a dead head in your profile picture?

Hey man is that a dead head in your profile picture?
Yeah you can tell it is. Sheaths have slipped from the skull and it faded. Also it looks pretty dead in the photo. No meat or hide on the skull.

Last edited:
Yeah you can tell it is. Sheaths have slipped from the skull and it faded. Also it looks pretty dead in the photo. No meat or hide on the skull.
Seen an old man that had killed a sheep and set it out by the barn looked the same way SS!

It is a dead head. Like SS said sheath had slipped and it was pretty weathered when I found it but probably one of my coolest finds to date

I’m no expert but from what I can tell he was an older ram, broomed off on both sides with great mass. The horns and head weigh 20lbs

Post a pic!
I’ve got them stored in a garage with all my shed horns, I’ll dig it out and post a few, I was wondering if anyone had worked on cleaning up a dead head, like re attaching the horns mostly, I need to clean it up and hang it in the cabin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom