What's your current, comfortable, shooting range?

What's your current shooting range?

• Total voters

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Hopefully, before each hunting season, we all get out and take a few shots with our rifles. So the question is, what is your comfortable range to shoot at an animal with very high confidence you'll drop him?

Expand on your answers with any varibles that effect your answer. Maybe you shoot farther at elk, or use multiple guns for different species, etc.

i practice off hand out to 200 yards and from a rest out to 300.

but iv never taken a big game animal out past 100. I like the stalk to much.

iv taken a coyote out past 200 yards or so but that’s a guess

It's easy to dial an accurate rifle from a bench at steel if it is dead calm with no wind. But even a breeze can make a big difference in long distance hunting.
I probably average shoot at distance monthly and I would guess that is more often than most. I have pretty well set my limit at 600yds if there is little/no wind.
In every big game hunting situation, I try to get as close as I can. It's HUNTING not just shooting that I enjoy.
The furthest I've ever shot a big game animal has been 485 yrds and I am old...no flat brimming for me! ;)

Last edited:
I am very comfortable to 400 yds., although most shots are considerably closer. I now shoot a 300 win mag for all my big game hunting changing bullet weights depending upon game species, 150 to 200 gr.

If you're not shooting regularly, you're not qualified to comment, IMHO. It would be like me telling someone all about golf and what club to use and what range they can make. Stupid!

If you're either shooting or hunting every single week, let me know and we can have an intelligent discussion about range shooting. Until then, step back and assess your position!

Like Weiserbucks said, this will go sideways in a hurry, no doubt!

Zeke

Well, that wasn't really fair for me to say that.....so I'll add:

I think everyone who makes a negative comment about shooting anything over 400 yards should have to disclose their annual round-count with centerfire rifles and number of times at the range.

Zeke

I am very comfortable to 500. I am lucky to have a place to shoot out to 1000 yards for practice so I get out as often as my schedule allows. My whole family enjoys shooting. My furthest shot at big game was at a wounded doe antelope at 750 yards. I wouldn't have taken that shot normally but someone else had hit her and it was a now or never type of shot. I made a good shot but I sure didn't feel comfortable taking it. Beyond that, my furthest is 477 yards on a bull elk - DRT.

If the conditions are correct, I'm 100% confident and capable out past 1000 yards. But I also shoot out to that distance at the range and under field conditions way more than the average guy. I'm also diciplined enough to know when you need to have limitations in a given scenario. Because there have been scenarios where I'm not ok taking a 600 yard shot. But one needs to be able to be honest to their limitations.

Too many variables to give a precise answer. But if I had to generalize, the answer for me is 500 yards with a rifle on big game animals.
Every hunt that I’ve done has resulted to different circumstances and different conditions that will impact the answer to this question.
But consistently at every opportunity to pull the trigger, I have and will continually do my very best to kill animals as ethically and humanely as I possibly can. Because the majestic animals that I pursue deserve that respect. With an understanding that human error will have a direct impact on this outcome.

I'm with BillyBob on the variables. I've one-shot an antelope at 440, and have actually missed a shot at 50 in the timber.

With no wind, good rest, clearly still animal, and plenty of time:

Elk 500+
Deer/Antelope 4-450

I know the ballistics and everything else- but in my normal hunting conditions- I don't have a bench and am unlikely to be able to get prone for very many shots!

The range I’m willing to shoot in a hunting situation greatly depends on the conditions. I’ve been afraid to shoot at 400 yards because of the squirrely wind or the inability to get prone in a comfortable position and I’ve killed an elk at 1479 with perfect conditions. Practicing in less than ideal conditions definitely helps you realize your limitations. A 1 mph crosswind, WHICH ISN’T EVEN DETECTABLE TO HUMAN SKIN, can affect your bullet 4-6 inches at 1000 yards. Beyond 600 yards you better know every variable, and there’s a lot of them. You better have a rifle that shoots same hole at 100 yards and be willing to adjust loads as your throat deteriorates or spend the money to toss a barrel and replace it. It’s not cheap to be able to drop well placed shots at long range. Too many guys out there buying a rifle that’s “1000 yards out of the box” but fail to learn what that takes. It’s not a range, turn the dial, and shoot. Are you shooting east or west, what’s the barometric pressure, elevation, angle, have you verified the BC and velocity, are you compensating for spin drift? Are you adding or subtracting the spin drift to your wind reading, etc etc. There’s more to pulling it out of the box and gambling on a life. There’s my 2 cents.

Last edited:
With my loads 500 easy with most conditions I killed my only elk at 667. I don’t shoot as much as I would like but haven’t had a rifle tag since 2013. Only killed two animals past 200 yards.

Hopefully, before each hunting season, we all get out and take a few shots with our rifles. So the question is, what is your comfortable range to shoot at an animal with very high confidence you'll drop him?

Expand on your answers with any varibles that effect your answer. Maybe you shoot farther at elk, or use multiple guns for different species, etc.
Next attempt at steel is a mile and yes I have shot a lot. Have to be really comfortable with my set up and conditions to shoot over 600 at something alive. The 3 animals I killed in 2022 were at 653, 658, and 325.

Here is my elk at 658.

Attachments

• IMG_9449.MOV
    21.4 MB
I can ring steel consistently at 1000, that being said.... there's not an animal alive that I couldn't get a within a couple hundred yards....

Always going to be a stupid debate about this, it boils down to ethics and no one will ever agree.

For me it’s really between 200-300 yards. I have taken two big game animals at or over 400 and was just as comfortable. Most big game shots have been 40-150 yards. The past year or so, I do all of my paper target bench shooting at no less than 200 yards, moving from 100 that was the norm for most of my life.

Ah, the old and very tired "just get closer". (Yes, YOU should)

Everyone who I know will get closer when there's an opportunity to do so. There are simply times when it's NOT possible and that's when ethics come into play. A guy should be shooting at the range enough, under a variety of conditions and positions, to KNOW when NOT to shoot! This is hunter maturity, plain and simple.

I've passed on shots at under 400 when conditions were poor or I couldn't get a proper rest and I've eagerly (and successfully every time) taken shots way beyond that.

Since we are such an independent bunch, I can see why some would think that everyone should be limited to the range at which they're personally skilled. Most guys have never had the chance to shoot with good shooters so they assume everyone is just like them ...or worse. It's the independence and machismo of the sport so it's to be expected.

Just because there are some out there who are willing to kill at longer distances, don't assume they're unethical!

See y'all at the range in the morning!

Zeke

Ah, the old and very tired "just get closer". (Yes, YOU should)

Everyone who I know will get closer when there's an opportunity to do so. There are simply times when it's NOT possible and that's when ethics come into play. A guy should be shooting at the range enough, under a variety of conditions and positions, to KNOW when NOT to shoot! This is hunter maturity, plain and simple.

I've passed on shots at under 400 when conditions were poor or I couldn't get a proper rest and I've eagerly (and successfully every time) taken shots way beyond that.

Since we are such an independent bunch, I can see why some would think that everyone should be limited to the range at which they're personally skilled. Most guys have never had the chance to shoot with good shooters so they assume everyone is just like them ...or worse. It's the independence and machismo of the sport so it's to be expected.

Just because there are some out there who are willing to kill at longer distances, don't assume they're unethical!

See y'all at the range in the morning!

Zeke
Maybe I'll come early and get in your way again! ;)

I prone shoot PRS to 2100yds at the local range and have a 900yd range out back of the house...I would be pretty comfortable Shooting big game to 1200yds in the right conditions. I was stuck at 508yds for over an hour basically the last bush this pass season due to a steep open hillside with 60+ Elk eyes watching above. This subject is always touchy with some people but if you know what you and your equipment are capable of, I feel long-range can be accomplished clean and ethical. I still strive to get as close as possible that's why its called hunting LOL.

To this point I have only hunted all species in IA and IL, longest shot on a deer was 185yrds (custom smokeless muzzleloader), and a coyote at around 250yrds. I had my custom ML built last year with the intention of doing a significant amount of hunting out west, which I want to begin doing in 2024. I absolutely love this rifle- slings a .45 bullet with a BC .30 and over around 3000fps with accuracy similar to a .308, .270, ect. The five deer I took with it this year between IA and IL ranged from 10yrds out to 185yrds. Rifles with bottle neck cartridges aren't legal in IA and IL so for long range shots ML's are the way to go (which I have always used during deer season anyway, though I do like mixing it up in IA with some different straight wall cartridges). At this point I would like to begin knocking off a bucket list hunt each year. I retire in 4 years from teaching, so at this point I am limited to hunting over winter break and spring break (so this basically means I won't be able to go on an elk hunt/probably a mule deer hunt until after I retire, unless I do a mule deer hunt in Nebraska with my ML in December.

As for archery hunting, I use both compound and crossbow- longest shot I have taken with either is 50 yrds, seemed like the arrow was traveling forever before I heard it smack the deer. Much more involved in taking an ethical archery shot at any distance. I remember the first time I took a shot with my Scorpyd crossbow, shooting around 420fps at a deer less than 20 yards away. She was looking right at me and I thought "no way can she jump the string at this distance at 420fps". I was very wrong- she ducked that shot and my arrow stuck inn a tree right behind her. Learned my lesson without any damage done thank goodness.

Closing in on 250 rounds so far this year. I drove out and shot 3 at 600 this morning, just under 1 moa, then came home.

Closing in on 250 rounds so far this year. I drove out and shot 3 at 600 this morning, just under 1 moa, then came home.
Nice shooting!

If I don't count pistol, shotgun, 22lr or 223.... I'm behind you on round count so far.

I'd better step it up!

Zeke

Did a lot of shooting last year out to 500. Pretty comfortable to that distance with little wind. Even 10 mph will start to shorten range. Not hard and fast rule, but every 10 mph probably shortens by comfort zone by 100yds.

I've said it before:

If you want to be good at xxx yards, you need to be shooting regularly to xxxx yards. (You also need someone to shoot with who will be brutally honest and helpful)

I like to say about 1/3 longer practice distance than a shot I'd take on an animal. 900 for practice, 600 for killing....but it all depends on conditions.

I've passed on shots at chip-shot ranges which would be easy under better conditions and taken some critters at long ranges under more favorable conditions.

See y'all at the range on Saturday!

Zeke

I would rather take a beating than sit down at the range next to a couple guys shooting .300 RUM's and I've never shot at anything over 200 yards, so I'm good to check my rifle 1" high at 100 yards, and get out of there asap. Most places I hunt I can't even see 200 yards. Even the 7 pronghorn I've shot have been right around 150 yards or under.

Mr Eel,
You’d shoot next to me with my RUM.
Suppressors are freakin’ wonderful!!!
Zeke

Trick question, it depends on the size of the animal. If it’s a monster buck I feel comfortable throwing lead out to 3,000 yards. Not going to hit it but you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

Mr Eel,
You’d shoot next to me with my RUM.
Suppressors are freakin’ wonderful!!!
Zeke
I didn't know you shot a RUM. :ROFLMAO:

Last summer I went to the range and I was shooting when a guy came and set up next to me. The rangemaster closed it down and he went out and set up his target. He opened the range again so we started shooting. He was shooting a semi-auto AR type in .223. He was spraying me with hot brass. wtf? I looked at the rangemaster and he was smiling, so I put my gun in the gun rack and waited until he closed the range again. When the shooter went to put up a new target I picked up all his brass and put it in my pack and left. He shouldn't be littering like that. I got the last laugh. My friend shoots a .223.

I'm the odd duck that voted for 900. I have access and regularly shoot to 850 and on occasion to 1K averaging 4 inches at 850.

Realistically, on the average day that's more like 600 yards. In perfect wind conditions with good lighting, a calm animal and good rest I'd have no issue with 900.

I practice a lot with my hunting rifles plus a 22LR and 17HMR which are rigged out like my hunting rifle. The rimfires get a lot of field position work off of tripods and sticks from 100-300.

All comes down to conditions, the set up, the position of the animal. I’ve made shots on animals over the 800 yard mark and I’ve passed on shots at 500 and under. All comes down to youth personal abilities and knowing your rifle. So few people actually put the time into truly knowing and gaining confidence in their rifle(s) I would venture to say that that 80 percent of those who take the field each year have put over 20 rounds through their rifle that given year before taking the field. Over the years I’ve guided so many people that live off the “this guns always on” motto and take it out of the safe and plug a few rounds through it the week before season… the fact of matter is the gun might be on, but you as the operator are rusty. Shooting accurately consistently takes consistent practice. I chuckle when I when I get scolded for taking an animal at “long range” buy the pursuit who shoots maybe a box of factory ammo a year after I’ve put a couple thousand down the pipe prior to hunting season and is thrilled with a 1.5 group at 100 yards, where as myself and others and can tell you every thing that rifle is going to do based upon atmospheric conditions… but to each their own. I’ve seen as many unethical shots done at 200 yards as I have 1000 yards over the years…

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom