i was wondering what your favorite tree was
1 ASPEN QUICKIES
2 PINE TREE
3 OAK BRUSH
4 SAGE BRUSH
5 MAHOGANY
6 JUNIPERS
? what is your favorite ?
i like OAK BRUSH and SAGE BRUSH . those two are my favorite for shed hunting in the spring

Junipers and Sage. How about Cliffrose? It’s not a tree but I love it. I’m going to replace all of my plants in my front yard with transplanted Cliffrose next spring.

This was my favorite tree until it burned up in 2000. Giant rocky mountain juniper, over 9 feet around, 40 feet tall and lateral branches 20 feet long.
juniper.jpg

I hunt Deers in an area in southern AZ that has a lot of Palo Verde trees. It’s like a Palo Verde forest. When I’m there, I like them.

My Father was a forester and as a result we learned a bit of dendrology. As a young man I was out hunting with a friend and he said, “I think there’s a elk over there under a pine tree”. I am looking hard but I don’t see any ‘pines’, just doug fir and englemann spruce. It turned out to be an elk butt rock anyway.

Older ponderosa pines are the most visually appealing to me; coolest bark on the planet

When I lived in Brazil for a couple years, sagebrush was the plant I missed the most. I never would have pre-guessed that one.

Tan Oak. They feed the deer and make good firewood.
Eel, I have to disagree with you on this one. Being a logger too my least favorite tree has to be the Tan Oak. There is nothing worse than the Tan Oak dust from their leaves. You can't cough it up and you can't swallow it down. They do produce good acorns, but so do the Black Oaks and the Live Oaks. As for fire wood there is nothing better than Madrone in my humble opinion, super thin bark and almost no ash to speak of.

Older ponderosa pines are the most visually appealing to me; coolest bark on the planet

When I lived in Brazil for a couple years, sagebrush was the plant I missed the most. I never would have pre-guessed that one.
We called Ponderosa Pines, puzzle pines. On the ground around the base of an old growth Ponderosa Pine where the bark flakes off it looks like a pile of jig saw puzzle pieces.

Eel, I have to disagree with you on this one. Being a logger too my least favorite tree has to be the Tan Oak. There is nothing worse than the Tan Oak dust from their leaves. You can't cough it up and you can't swallow it down. They do produce good acorns, but so do the Black Oaks and the Live Oaks. As for fire wood there is nothing better than Madrone in my humble opinion, super thin bark and almost no ash to speak of.

You won't get any argument from me on the Tan Oak dust. That is nasty! And Tan Oak does leave a lot of ash compared to Madrone.

I got in on the logging of old growth Redwood back in the 60's. That thick redwood bark makes some nasty dust too when sawed.

img870.jpg

In defense of tan oak, it absolutely makes the world's most beautiful flooring...

As for my favorite standing trees: mountain mahogany, digger pine, and quaking aspen.

There is no buck happier than one with a head full of mahogany salad, and no prouder gobbler than one roosted in a digger pine.

Aspen aren't for eating; they're just for lookin' through. Lessen you're a grouse.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom