What'Ya All In For???

I'm in for one heck of a hunting season with my general deer and elk. Bought my 12th deer and 10th sheep points.

Thinking of burning 11 points on a late muzz tag haven’t pulled the trigger yet...

it’s only been since 1998 that I had a limited entry deer tag in Utah...

Last edited:
51 points for me. Waiting until the last weekend to donate my $$$. Will apply Saturday or Sunday. Good luck to all in the draws. I know I’m going to need some.

44 points, 51 points.....SLACKERS I have 90!

ok, so I have points for 8 species and you guys are in for 2.

I would trade all 90 of my points for a elk tag in a 22 point unit

44 Combined Utah Big Game Points!

Hoping for a Miracle:D
Good luck to ya!
I only have 19 points across 4 animals. I’m like you but I’m REALLY hoping for a miracle, a little ju ju, a sprinkle of good karma & a good bit of luck. Lol

What units are all of you high point folks putting in for? It’s not too late for me to change my original choices. ?

Dang man! Surely you should draw with 24 points. If not, I’m just giving up because my ass will be too old to hunt by the time I get that many points. Lol

Dang man! Surely you should draw with 24 points. If not, I’m just giving up because my ass will be too old to hunt by the time I get that many points. Lol
3TOE I like you so I’m going to share a little bit of information I dug up on my research.
I have 23 non-resident limited entry Deer points in Utah.
There are 101 of us non res with 23 or more points in the deer pool.
There are seven bonus tags total available for the hunts I’m interested in, which are the same hunts most of the top point holders are trying for. With a few exceptions.
I’m not really good at math but it appears like it could be 10 or more years before I’m in the running for a premium bonus deer tag.
There’s always a chance in the random draw but if you look at the stats it just doesn’t happen for top point holders in the random.

3TOE I like you so I’m going to share a little bit of information I dug up on my research.
I have 23 non-resident limited entry Deer points in Utah.
There are 101 of us non res with 23 or more points in the deer pool.
There are seven bonus tags total available for the hunts I’m interested in, which are the same hunts most of the top point holders are trying for. With a few exceptions.
I’m not really good at math but it appears like it could be 10 or more years before I’m in the running for a premium bonus deer tag.
There’s always a chance in the random draw but if you look at the stats it just doesn’t happen for top point holders in the random.
I sincerely appreciate you sharing your research. I spend a lot of time researching also, but I honestly don’t dig that deep. So are you saying to just keep my chin up & I could get lucky or are you implying that the odds are so bad, I just shouldn’t get my hopes up?

Last edited:
I'll just put in again for Wasatch West rifle deer because my son should draw Wasatch muzzy elk and my hunting buddy should draw Dutton Premium elk.
I also have 19 Buffalo points, but that doesn't mean much ?

elkassassin posted this in the general hunting forum but it is mostly a Utah question I think.
Any non res wanting to get in the game to draw a premium limited entry buck tag in Utah really needs to study the draw statistics. The odds are astronomical and you will likely die before ever drawing a premium tag.
I am not trying to discourage anyone just stating the facts in my opinion.
Sorry to get off topic here.
Good luck to everyone in the upcoming draws.

44 Limited entry buck deer points between my son and I.
We apply separately for different hunts.
If one of us draws I will post it up then.

85 combined and little chance of drawing my choices. But never know, drew mt goat a few years back with 4 pts

I've got a point for general deer, bull elk, and pronghorn in Utah. I applied for those plus limited deer, and 3 OIL tags. In Nevada I have 2 deer, elk and pronghorn points and 1 sheep point. I'll apply for deer and pronghorn, will buy points for sheep and elk. California I have 14 pronghorn points, 10 elk, 3 deer and 3 sheep. Gonna apply for all those. Then I have a pronghorn and deer point in Wyoming, might just buy a point again. Texas mule deer and sheep points too.

26 res San Juan. (I'll send you pics Bess)

?

19 north slope moose

6 Manti muzzy elk

Dedicated nebo deer

8 freaking bear points

So pretty much same as every year, deer hunt and any bull.

Plus 1 turkey
1 swan

26 res San Juan. (I'll send you pics Bess)

26 SJ Points & 6 Manti Points!

Ya!

I'll Call You on That One Hossy!

?

19 north slope moose

6 Manti muzzy elk

Dedicated nebo deer

8 freaking bear points

So pretty much same as every year, deer hunt and any bull.

Plus 1 turkey
1 swan

It sounds like we need to get the legislators to sign in a bill of a point trust, when a hunter passes holding points they should be split between family members since it was a lifetime investment with the state of Utah

I'd Agree with that!

My Dad Went to His Grave With MAX Sheep Points!

It sounds like we need to get the legislators to sign in a bill of a point trust, when a hunter passes holding points they should be split between family members since it was a lifetime investment with the state of Utah

It’s looking like I might go with a lot of points, My father is 87 and one behind Max in Wyoming for sheep

Quote: "My father is 87 and one behind Max in Wyoming for sheep "

Yikes! I think I would've drawn and hunted a WY ram 15-20 years ago if I was in his shoes. I'm sure he has his reasons.

As far as Utah, as a NR, my points are approaching triple figures, but anything I'd want to draw will be random luck, and that's going to be the case forever. In fairness though, that's pretty well true for most draws across the entire west. But this year for elk, I'm laying out of the UT draw for the first time, due to a guaranteed draw in Colorado. In the draw for all the UT OIL species though.

I’m in with 21 elk points and 19 Rocky Mtn Bighorn points (Resident). Hoping this is the year for one of those??

are you guys with all these points getting to hunt in other states or seriously waiting 15 plus years to hunt?

are you guys with all these points getting to hunt in other states or seriously waiting 15 plus years to hunt?
I think most of us hunt in other states and various species. Also with family and friends there are opportunities to go scouting and hunting fairly often.
I even go scouting potential areas that I may draw in the future. And if still don’t get enough there’s always chuckar hunting!
That will get your ya ya’s out.

I am not telling. Odds are bad enough. ?? 28 combined points
I have drawn a LE deer Commanche, LE elk Fish lake,OIL Bision and a Antelope Southwest desert the last year of the old system. A cow elk tag every few years. A deer tag every year and buy a elk tag every year. As well as helping other family member when they draw. This is just in Utah. According to my wife I do nothing but hunt. Then there is upland hunting. Just because you don’t draw a tag doesn’t mean you don’t hunt. Ya we hunt !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom