When hunting elk would you put a blind or tree stand up in the elk bedding area?

merrelltyler

We found this awesome bedding area this summer and put up some cameras throughout the rut. We might be hunting in the area next year.

Would you put a tree stand or blind in the area, or would you spot and stock?

We found this awesome bedding area this summer and put up some cameras throughout the rut. We might be hunting in the area next year.

Treestands help greatly reduce the odds of being winded. Ground blinds your scent is on the ground with the elk. The way mountain winds swirl, youd have to be pretty lucky to elude their noses on the ground that close.
I’d never sit bedding areas. That’s one of the few places they feel safe. If you blow them out of their bedroom, who know how long it will be before they return, if ever.

I’d put a bed, tv, and popcorn maker in there!

might as well get comfy if ur gonna park it in their bedroom and expect them to show up!

Unless you’re over a community wallow or some other feature that would bring them there year after year...usually tree stands/blinds aren’t a good idea...just cause they were there last year doesn’t mean they’ll be back. Good luck!

I asked this same question a few years ago. Most people said to stay out of their bedding areas. The area we hunt is low elk density. I jumped elk near this small patch of trees a couple times so I set up a game camera. They didn't show every day but I always have a few pictures. I have sat in a natural ground blind at this spot about seven times now. Twice I have had elk come in. If I had been in a tree stand I think I would have had shots. Both times the elk didn't feel comfortable and walked through the beds without stopping.

Drought year hunt the trails to a known water source.
early season scouting will tell what waterholes they are hitting
I use to wipe out tracks around a water hole and any trails that you find coming into the waterhole, then check on it every day or so.
If close to rut some good old Cow in heat in a empty beer bottle works good placed along trail. {empty beer bottle's are easy to find}

My thinking is setting up on trails going to the bedding area to ambush elk going in or out. You try going into bedding area in the dark in A.M. You will blow them out you might get away with going in mid day for an evening hunt BUT if you don’t connect you will blow them out going out. Then your done with that spot forever.

I wouldn't push them out of their bedding area. Focus on finding a wallow or a a good water location where the elk are constantly hitting for water. Then setup a tree stand. Spot and Stalk would be better if you are going to be hunting near where they bed.

I would be for a tree stand for wind, elevated view and shooting lanes, etc. Only ground blind if it's a long hike and I only have a day or two to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom