When to book outfitter?

gundog2

When do people book outfitters for limited-entry hunts that are hard to draw with max points? Before or after the draw?

I would talk to the potential outfitters then commit to one . he may want a small deposit to hold your spot but if he wants to do a full booking contract I'd take that as a sign of insecurity. if there's a 90% chance he's going to have to refund it then it's just dumb.

Most of the time on hard draws there are more outfitters than clients. but not always so not knowing the hunt you're after you need to take it all into account.

If I knew I had enough PP to draw the tag I would book a year ahead.

If you are trying to draw a random tag with a low success percentage you don't have any choice but to wait until after you draw.

I'm in for a hunt this year that took 7 points last year and I have 9. I booked last March. I have a deposit down but not the full deposit until after I draw.

I know an outfitter in Colorado that takes 25 points to draw first rifle and he books two to three years ahead.

I know some outfitters that are booked up to 2022. Then others have open slots.

As westman said call your outfitter of choice to see their future outlook

You should be thinking a year out but depends on the outfitter and what he has in the client pipeline. Some outfitters will require a deposit of say $1000 pre-draw and then the rest to get to 50% if you draw. If you don't draw, you get your money back.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom