When to sit, when to move

When you all are out scouting/hunting elk in an area you've found elk before how long do you sit and glass until you decide they aren't there and it's time to move?

Hour maybe then look elsewhere before it warms up. If it's a cold morning with lots of glass possibilities Id look much longer.

If it's pretty open, then not long. But if lots of cover then longer. Certainly, if I find fresh sign in the area, then likely elk somewhere, so glassing longer. Either way, a lot depends on how much cover they have. So many variables...so, yeah...when 'gut' says it's enough.

Running and gunning work sometimes, more ground you cover the LUCKIER you get, But picking apart a place that you know hold elk(even if they aren't there that day takes time) a hour is possibly isn't enough time unless the area is small that you are glassing.
I try and use the scroll method and work it left to right from top to bottom then move a hair lower and do it again. when I pick up game trails, I glass them from top down you can sometimes just catch them on the trail. Clearings,treelines,opening always get a quick glass before I start trying to pick those tight spots apart.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Early in scouting season with plenty of days left dedicate an entire day or 2 to an area you feel should hold elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom