When will WY abandon the 14 year old restriction?

It is all according to the child's maturity to me. I know responsible 8 year olds , and I also have strong feelings about some 17 year olds I wouldn't trust 10 feet from me. If you appreciate the seriousness of the situation, and the fact you're taking a life, respect the game and enjoy yourself. Too many parents treat it as one of these video game shoot 'em ups, and I think that sucks. OK, done preaching!!

My oldest boy had his first deer tag at 8 years old when he could shot a small 20 gauge successfully at 25 yards. Its about ability not age. This was in Iowa and there was no hunter safety restriction other than being with an adult (18 yrs).

Let me add my youngest son he did not hunt with a firearm for deer or bird until he was 11 yrs. Just not the same mentalities between my boys.

Random draw on a youth tag. Doubt that the father said oh, crap. That’s what he wanted when entered all his kids.

No 10yr old should be handling a rifle capable of killing deer. I like 12, as a min.

And no I don’t trust parents to make this judgement, as evidenced by 5yr old elk hunter.

Opinions vary!

No 10yr old should be handling a rifle capable of killing deer. I like 12, as a min.

And no I don’t trust parents to make this judgement, as evidenced by 5yr old elk hunter.

Opinions vary!
I am willing to bet my son can handle his 243 as well as you or any adult. In terms of safety and in terms of shooting to 200 yards. I would put him up against any adult in his ability to shoot and his ability to safely handle a gun.

Why would you be ok with a kid handling a 22 rifle or a shot gun and not a larger bore rifle? Larger bore rifle is not any more or less dangerous... Larger bore rifle is not harder to handle...

I would also put my good friends 8 year old daughter with her 6.5 up against any adult I know.

Opinions vary!
Opinions do vary, but these three 10 year olds prove you are wrong. Number 4 grandkid is eight and he will most definitely prove you wrong too!
43131591_2321015144579735_7608540775386710016_n.jpg

43225752_2321015527913030_6666290023693811712_n.jpg

248589601_179847730903728_9196277915150606639_n.jpg

Most agree with what your saying Jim. I guided waterfowl hunters for years and have witnessed some real winners, with 0 common knowledge.
It's a different ball game when one of those shoots your kid.

I think most of the people on this site hunted something before they were 10 years old and that might be a better age. But there needs to be some age restriction to keep parents from putting five year olds in the draw so they can fill their tags for them.

Most agree with what your saying Jim. I guided waterfowl hunters for years and have witnessed some real winners, with 0 common knowledge.
It's a different ball game when one of those shoots your kid.
Who the heck is Jim?
I think most of the people on this site hunted something before they were 10 years old and that might be a better age. But there needs to be some age restriction to keep parents from putting five year olds in the draw so they can fill their tags for them.
The real reason many don't want the age lowered is there would be more applicants in the draw.

Who the heck is Jim?

The real reason many don't want the age lowered is there would be more applicants in the draw.
Hit the nail on the head. Anyone without a 10-12 year old only sees the move as increased competition. That is why I would support a system where the adult can gift their lic. to the kid or like MT where the adult draws and they can buy the same tag for their kid.

I would think a 10 year old limit for LE draws and no limit for small game, general or over the counter tags.

I think you guys are right, this is an LE tag thing. It’s also a Western thing since most Eastern States don’t have many LE tags. Most Eastern States don’t have any age limit for hunting.
They have requirements for a youth to be accompanied by a licensed hunter.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom