Where are all the oryx pics???

BioHazrdMan

There has been a few on range hunts lately... and off range hunting year round... but NO pics on here since (I think) July!?!? Anybody been hunting? I got a Dec off range hunt and am getting pumped to go!!! :)

Not to hijack--but are there good months to hunt off range Oryx vs. other months?

Looks like they are pregnant in the summer. Do they have a "rut?"

Good Luck Bio!! Get a nice one!:)

The cows can be pregnant at any time of year.

Oryx don't like foul weather. Nice sunny days & they'll be up moving, cold rainy days & they stay bedded down.

The best time of year to go is whenever you can draw a tag!

I will tell you however that from my own personal experience hunting them in July isn't a lot of fun due to the extreme heat.

+1 1Fast

>The cows can be pregnant at
>any time of year.

The biologists for the on-range hunts say something like 60% of cows taken on those hunts are pregnant. With a 9 month gestation, they can even be pregnant 2x in a year.

>
>Oryx don't like foul weather. Nice
>sunny days & they'll be
>up moving, cold rainy days
>& they stay bedded down.
>

Learn to glass as these animals are GHOSTS even on the best of days.

>
>The best time of year to
>go is whenever you can
>draw a tag!

Amen!!!!

>
>I will tell you however that
>from my own personal experience
>hunting them in July isn't
>a lot of fun due
>to the extreme heat.

Have only helped on 1 july hunt and it was BRUTALLY hot. We were lucky enough to shoot 1 about 15 minutes before sundown, and all the "work" was done in headlights rather than baking under the sun ( along with the meat ).

Good luck!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

MY BROTHER AND I DREW THE STALLION RANGE IN DECEMBER A COUPLE YEARS BACK. HE KILLED A GIANT COW 30 YARDS FROM THE TRINITY SIGHT THAT WAS PREGNANT WITH TRIPLETS. AT THE ORIENTATION THEY ASKED TO REPORT ALL COW KILLS TO A BIOLOGIST THERE. HE WENT OUT AND REMOVED THE CALVES FOR SOME TYPE OF PROJECT / TESTS. MY GUESS IS THAT THEY DONT HAVE A TRUE RUT.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-11 AT 03:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-11 AT 03:03?PM (MST)

I've always heard that Oryx breed all year long, but that never made any sense to me. All African plains game that I have heard of drop their young at close to the same time to flood the savanna with so many calves that the predators couldn't do a lot of damage. If they just dropped a few all year long, it would be much harder to have a sustainable population because the predators would pick them off. I've been on probably 10 or so Oryx hunts in NM and I've noticed that I see more brownies around March to May. We shot a cow in October that had a very small fetus and then one in January that was a lot bigger. So my opinion is that they breed in the summer and again drop in early Spring. I'm not saying there might not be a few exceptions, but I would say the majority are during this time.

I'm not a biologist or been studying them, so I could be completely wrong. Just my observations.

Good luck on your hunt! Offrange has become pretty hard I think, but put in enough time and miles and you should find one. Keep us posted!

Travis

5yearcoueshunter...
I think the difference between Africa plains game and oryx here in NM is here in NM there are NO predators to pressure the oryx, only hunters. Just a thought... I have seen a VERY pregnant cow killed on a Dec hunt and a cow with only a small fetus killed in Dec also. Anyways... I'll keep you guys posted on my hunt! Thanks!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom