Where can I find an online resource for replicas?

T

twangthunk

Hi. Where are some good websites that offer shootable replicas (kits or fully assembled is ok) of Civil War era rifles? My two sons and I have some interest in joining the CW reinactments in our area, and we wanted to see what was available. And, do you normally have to work through a local gunshop to acquire these guns?

A Springfield or Enfield would be fine, especially for the boys, but what I really, really desire for myself is a Sharps Carbine replica. Years ago when I was a teen, my uncle (a true master craftsman and gunsmith) restored an authentic Sharps Carbine to full shooting capacity and let me fire a couple of rounds. I'm telling you, I still get chills when I think of shooting that gun. Quite a kick (I think it was a 50 caliber), but it was absolutely magical touching and using that piece of history!!! I've been a Civil War buff ever since.

Thanks.

twangthunk: David, you stumped me! All of my sources are for rifles other than the mainstream CW rifles. What I might suggest is to access the Google search engine, and start typing in Civil War Rifles, or something of that genre. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Like you, I too have shot an original Sharps that was restored. Kick is the understatement.

A company out of Montana by the name of Shiloh Arms manufactures a replica Sharps. Why don't you try www.shiloharms.com and see if that works. If not, type Shiloh into a Google inquiry and see what you get. Also, try Dixie Gun Works for CW rifles; www.dixiegunworks.com

Thank you for the links. www.shiloharms.com didn't work, but www.shilohrifle.com did. However, I didn't find anything but 1874 models there. It might be a good place for accessories, though. The good news is that www.dixiegunworks.com did have a few, and although it looks like I'll have to get a job (I was recently layed off) and save up for a couple of years (at least $625), I want to get one!

On CW reinactments, I thought it would be fun to reinact as a sniper. This type of soldier was almost a pioneer during this first modern war. My sons could be spotters. Also, they could carry one round each for me for this monster. <grin>

Generally, I don't like a gun that kicks so hard, but I could condition myself to shoot this one just because I love the rifle so much.

Thanks again for your time and efforts!!!

Twangthunk

twangthunk.gif

twangthunk: Try Navy Arms' website and see what they might have: www.navyarms.com

Also, Pedersoli, out of Italy, makes some really fine reproductions. Do a Google search for their name and you will come up with their website. Something in my memory tells me that Navy Arms is their US importer, but I might be wrong. Anyway, it's worth a try.

I have only done some very brief studying of the CW era, and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of the snipers care the Henry repeating rifle (Yellow Boy) with the long brass tubular sight? That might be an avenue to pursue unless you have your heart set on a Sharps.

The Henry is probably going to be less expensive than the Sharps, and a lot easier to find. However, I think I've found enough sources for my first love, the Sharps Carbine. I'm sorry, I just can't get my mind off of getting one of these. I'm sure you understand! :)

All kinds of rifles were employed for sniper work, mostly out of necessity. I know that the Henry repeater (the first model I know of came out in 1860) was used for this task in the war. Perhaps that's the one you're thinking of. The nickname "Yellow Boy" is more associated with the 1866 model, which had a brass action (this one had the Winchester brand on it).

Another commonly used rifle was the Whitworth (.451 bore). Then, of course, we have the Sharps .54 rifle, famous for it's use with Berdan's Sharpshooters. I want the carbine because it's less expensive, shorter, and I do not doubt it was used for "snipering", too. That kind of range, accuracy, and knock-down power make it a good candidate. And, dang, it's lighter than the full Sharps rifle. It will still make an impression on the participants and spectators, I can tell ya!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Twangthunk

twangthunk.gif

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-02 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]addendum: I was unsuccessful with finding these online sources before your help, bluelk, and for that I am indebted to you.

Thanks one more time.

Twangthunk

twangthunk.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom