Where do high mountain bucks water?

AZ4life

Several of the mountains in North/Central utah that I have hunted several times don't seem to have any water in the late summer anywhere but miles away down in the very bottom where the river is or where a stream finally starts. Do all the deer, and elk, that live up way high really go all the way down and all the way back up every couple days for their water? I just have a hard time thinking they are going that far and steep every time they need a drink, but at the same time I cannot find any other water sources on a couple of the mountains having hiked them and scoured every kind of map. Anyone have similar wonders or answers to my bewilderment?

I have witnessed them travel at night to pretty far water holes. The older they are the more elusive. Mule deer anyway. Also the forage up that high can hold quite a bit of moisture all year long.

Mule deer are far different than elk in that they require a lot less water and bucks even less as the does are still nursing the fawns and require more water. You are also likely unaware of many water sources that don’t show up on a map like a small seep or spring. They get much of their moisture from their food sources. In my experience the deer seem to water every 3-4 days and they feed in a long circular pattern. This also holds true in extreme heat and very dry conditions. They are typically within 3 miles of the water. As the weather cools, they visit the water less, and as the rut nears all bets are off. The frequency then decreases and the distance to water can then increase significantly. Focus your search on well traveled game trails with food sources leading to known water sources. Sweep the tracks clean near water sources over with a rake shaped stick then come back and see how much activity your known water source has or hang a trail cam.

Any ungulate in the west is in better shape and can travel farther, faster than the any human when they want or need to.

Listen to all the guys that say they put 20 miles a day hunting on foot. They do not do that 24/7/365.

We hunt an area exactly like you described. We pack water in because the nearest water is four miles and 3200 vertical feet from the spring to our spike camp. We just figure that it is not that big of a deal for the bucks to travel the eight mile round trip to water and back up to the top of the mountain every three of four days. Probably like a walk in the park for us to them. People that have hunted the area for decades swear there is no closer water after searching year after year. I have to agree with them even after my limited time in the area. As long as the animals are there they are getting what they need somewhere and that is my final conclusion on the area we hunt. Have fun.

Another thing to keep in mind is the temp at high elevation is pretty cool, thus they don't sweat a lot off. A 200 pound body needs lots of water at 90 degrees, much less at 60. And if the vegetation is lush, they get much of their water from foraging.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom