Where in Yellowstone?

Yellowstone is very neat. I saw two nice bulls there last summer about this time, but I can't remember where I saw them. I just remember it was an open field. I got out of the car and got closer to take pictures.

Looking back, I wish I'd spent more time in the Grant Tetons. They say there is a spot where you can sit in the evening and moose will come out to feed. You can ask the guys at the first check station where this is.

Are you flying to Jackson? Where are you staying while there? If your going to be staying in the Jackson area, I'd recommend doing the whitewater rafting. Very fun - and we saw an eagle too.

Just got back last week. I did see some elk but nothing like years past. More buffalo than i've ever seen in the park. Also saw a grizzly with twins for the first time ever. When I asked a couple of rangers why so few elk he said 2 reasons the wolves are eating a good portion of them and many of the others are up high because of the early summer heat. West entrance on the way to West Yellowstone had a herd of 40 or 50 down by the river.

Drive south to the Grand Tetons the meadows are full of moose as well as sone elk, saw at least 8 6x6 bulls in the Tetons.

Inside the Yellowstone, go to Gibbons Meadows or at least they were all over that area the time my wife and I drove through.

Brian

Was there last week as well and we saw a total of about 80 cows in just a one day drive through but not one bull.

There were 20 head on the lawn at the Mammoth Hot Springs visitor center and another 30 or so in the huge meadows on the south side of the road between Madison Jct and West Yellowstone near the eagle study site.

It was pretty cool to see a bald eagle catching fish in the river.

Old Faithful was a bust. Not much height. But the gyesers down the hill were blowing high and long. I'd skip the crowds at OF and walk down to the others.

I'm up here in Rexburg, Idaho for college so I figured I should go while I am close. I'll take some pictures and let you guys know how it goes. THanks!

I got some great photos of 350" class elk standing right in the middle of the Madison River in September, also along Hayden valley can be good at times some great bulls in velvet.
Elk calling is illegal in the park!

I seem to see elk every year in the town of Mammoth Hot Springs. They feed right in town. Last September they were all over the place. The elk were in a full-blown rut fest right in town. One of these day?s I will post the video.
I took my family up at the end of June this year and saw some nice bulls here and there probably six in total. I wasn?t really looking hard to find them. We saw a nice 6X6 bull right in town. The ranger said that the bull probably got run out of his bachelor group and came to town for safety.
If I were you I would go up to Mammoth Hot Springs at the end of September. Take a video camera for sure.

Paint Pot Dome is the coolest geyser area, incredible photo ops. Grand Canyon is a must see, Tetons are also high on the list. We saw a lot of elk both near Jackson Lake and around Mammoth Hot Springs.

mammoth in the coming few weeks. gibbons meadows can be good. always a herd on the madison just past where you cross the river outside of west yellowstone.

There in May saw 2 wolves at ?Ilum?(SP) Creek Just traveling. Elk and Buff were watching closely. Grizzly at The Lake Hotel and one the Yellowstone River right at (Dragons Roar)?
The pass from Mammoth to Roosevelt Cabins? We stopped on the Pass to let Wife take a nap. 45 minutes in the folding chair with STL ? 18 sheds in 300 plus class one dead head 340. 180 Buff, 40 antelope, 13 big horn ewes, 200 head elk, 2 moose . From one spot. God I love my Sawro.
Then went over (Sp) Dunraven Pass? 350 plus folks looking with good glass and radios. Finally found a place to pull over near the top. 2 young Bull Moose, 20 head of mature bulls bedded. Knew there was something else up? 7 wolves came over the ridge Den near here I found out later. Told wife they were after the Moose told her they wouldn't try the mature bulls?.Wrong. 2 big grays set up on top of ridge. 1 grey and 2 big blacks set up at edge of timber, last years pup set up in timber. Old short eared collared raggedy Ann slipped down the edge to jump them up hill. They set up like I would have to drive these bulls to shooters. The highest bull saw her. No hesitation what so ever jumped to feet and ran down hill taking 60 foot strides instantly. Other bulls came to their feet stumbling and went down hill as fast as a bull elk can go. Wolves broke too, dead even to the bottom. When they hit the trees down there the wolves caught them instantly.
They singled one out and took him up hill towards the tourists on my left, they went out of our site. I followed the attack by watching the others moving their tri pods. I saw one wolf come back and figured the bull got away. Sure enough he came into view 2000 yards out with his mouth open. The big bunch was eating up ground with the famous mouth open long trot they were still going 2 miles out towards the Yellowstone River when we left?..Holy Smoke?..Scary thought for a Colo Boy. Probably saw 800 Buff in the 3 days we were there?I saw 1 that's right 1 yearling Buff??Cant wait until the NPS puts them in Rocky Mt Park and the Sand Dunes?. Go back to the Wolf thread above this one?. COMMENT!!!!!!! AND SS AND S.
As for must sees, get up early. That far North its light 04:30 ?Brink of the Falls? Both the lower and Upper is mandatory in my opinion. Walk the whole ?Norris? thermal area.
Coming down county there is a geo area near ?West Thumb? That is good. Have fun. We did.

At this time of year, the elk, especially the bulls, are fairly scarce close to the roads because they are at the higher altitudes. There is always a resident bunch around Mammoth, but they'll be mostly cows and calves now.

As it gets closer to the rut ala early Sept on, however, nearly every meadow in the park will have a herd in it that will stay there for weeks. There will usually be a herd bull with his harem of cows and several satellite bulls giving the master fits as they try to steal a cow or two.

Here are a few pix to get you started. -TONY

4698e87376edd1b3.jpg

4698e8a7777cc037.jpg

4698e8ed77d3c037.jpg

4698e919780d6d53.jpg

4698e99578ed7b52.jpg

4698e9be7a167908.jpg

4698ea1c7a88e690.jpg

4698ea7f7b4599b7.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom