Where is our money going?

deerkiller

Very Active Member
Honest question. Yesterday I bought a fall turkey tag for my wife at sportsmans. When they handed me the tag, it was printed on your basic white card stock that you can buy at Walmart. When I asked the guy what happened to the older tag paper they’ve been printed on for years his reply was “that’s the new paper they are printing them with. They are trying to save on money so using a cheaper option is what they are going with now”. That stuff now will completely dissolve when it gets wet and will tear easily, creating potential disasters and complications for both hunters and officers in the future (that’s a topic for another day).

so I’m honestly curious, where are the tag, application, license fees, donations and conservation funds ending up if we can’t even afford to print tags on a piece of paper that is the best option for all involved? Our deer herds have gone to chit. Our elk herds have taken a considerable nose dive. The bison herds suck. As do the sheep. The pronghorn have always struggled. Mountain goats are trending down hill and let’s not even get started on the moose situation. About the only thing holding steady is the turkeys, bears and lions... but I’m sure their time is coming as well. The wild horses are thriving however, so that’s good news ? In central utah I see very little funding going to any projects worth while. just about every project I do see has a RMEF, DU, PF, NWTF or MDF logo on it saying they funded the project. So where is OUR money being spent? New trucks? New regional offices? Trying to save the june sucker? Raising farm pheasants for a state hunt? The online license application is still back in the year of 1998. You rarely see an officer out in the field these days. I’m just not seeing any efforts being made to spend our money appropriately where the animals benefit the most from it. Seems like they are taking the back seat to everything, when it’s themselves pulling in all the money to begin with.

Last edited:
I renewed mine and my sons combination license online 1 month ago. The licenses we received in the mail were printed on the same type of paper they’ve always been.

The lions, bears and turkeys are also doing terrible in many places of the state. It's hard to see much beneficial coming from all the money the division takes in. Maybe they used it for their alaska fishing trip for all the head guys to go with sfw, or maybe sfw footed the bill on that so they could continue to control the management. The new truck and new toys thing is getting to be a joke, but it really does seem that's a bigger priority for funding than our wildlife. We need a governor to appoint a new director and get a new wildlife board so we can get back to taking care of our wildlife rather than catering to a select few in special interest groups.

The guy who printed it was just an idiot. You’ve spun up a lot of frustration and irritation with F&G over an idiot being an idiot about the choice of paper.

I see Grey Wolves, and grizzlies, in idahos future

Honest question. Yesterday I bought a fall turkey tag for my wife at sportsmans. When they handed me the tag, it was printed on your basic white card stock that you can buy at Walmart. When I asked the guy what happened to the older tag paper they’ve been printed on for years his reply was “that’s the new paper they are printing them with. They are trying to save on money so using a cheaper option is what they are going with now”. That stuff now will completely dissolve when it gets wet and will tear easily, creating potential disasters and complications for both hunters and officers in the future (that’s a topic for another day).

so I’m honestly curious, where are the tag, application, license fees, donations and conservation funds ending up if we can’t even afford to print tags on a piece of paper that is the best option for all involved? Our deer herds have gone to chit. Our elk herds have taken a considerable nose dive. The bison herds suck. As do the sheep. The pronghorn have always struggled. Mountain goats are trending down hill and let’s not even get started on the moose situation. About the only thing holding steady is the turkeys, bears and lions... but I’m sure their time is coming as well. The wild horses are thriving however, so that’s good news ? In central utah I see very little funding going to any projects worth while. just about every project I do see has a RMEF, DU, PF, NWTF or MDF logo on it saying they funded the project. So where is OUR money being spent? New trucks? New regional offices? Trying to save the june sucker? Raising farm pheasants for a state hunt? The online license application is still back in the year of 1998. You rarely see an officer out in the field these days. I’m just not seeing any efforts being made to spend our money appropriately where the animals benefit the most from it. Seems like they are taking the back seat to everything, when it’s themselves pulling in all the money to begin with.
It's, sportsman's, way of saving money has nothing to do with g & f I don't think they have any mandate on what paper vendors, use to. Print licences

Not saying it is or isn't equal to the old but for some weird reason I remember seeing this facebook post saying they were switching. I guess time will tell if it is or isn't as durable.

"Head's up: Your new fishing or hunting license may have a different look and feel from what you're used to. It's still waterproof, tear-resistant and very durable. During the transition to the new paper, some license agents may still be using the old stock for some time. All licenses and permits printed on either paper type are still valid for use."

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom