Where to go for feral hogs?

madtinker

Did a quick site search and all the posts are 10+ years old. Anyone have a spot for feral hogs within 2-ish hours of Albuquerque? Don’t need a big hog, I want something tasty. Will be going around Christmas when my brother is in town.

Not 2 hours from Albuquerque, but, 34 still has a few. running across them is more of a fluke, but, you never know when you might get lucky.

Years ago I found signs of hogs rooting on a ridge in 34. I hunted that area a couple of days and they came in one night and tore up the ground. That was around Dunken.

My suggestion would be to find a river bottom and slowly hunt through the thick stuff. You could find public next to some agricultural fields and catch them moving between them.

Good luck.

I’ve seen a dead one on the side of the road in 36, but really the most I’ve seen is down there SE of Carlsbad down by the TX line. They’re in there pretty thick… Black water draw, pecos river etc…. Down to the TX line

They used to be in the Lincoln, units 34/36 and the reservation but an effort to exterminate them was made and there are few if any remaining. Your best bet would be the Pecos river area in south east new mexico, plenty of ag land and water for them, and a few from texas might come up, lots of private land along the river though. generally hogs stick to private or unhuntable land

Did a quick site search and all the posts are 10+ years old. Anyone have a spot for feral hogs within 2-ish hours of Albuquerque? Don’t need a big hog, I want something tasty. Will be going around Christmas when my brother is in town.
Texas is loaded with feral hogs in many areas, like South Texas, Central Texas, SE Texas, plus East Texas too. All of Texas is private land , except maybe 1/2 of 1 %- you’ll need to get directions /permission’s from locals , local game wardens, Call Texas Parks & Wildlife & start from there- in Austin, Texas. The population has exploded in recent years doing incredible damages all over the state- what a disaster!
Good luck & happy hunting !! Have fun ?. Hogs are very solid tough critters not easy to kill. Use a .270 type caliber with tough deep penetrating bullets ! Keep shooting !

Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado

Thanks everyone. Next time I’m in TX I’ll see if my father in law wants to go for hogs. I guess it’s a good thing there aren’t any close by.

Texas is loaded with feral hogs in many areas, like South Texas, Central Texas, SE Texas, plus East Texas too. All of Texas is private land , except maybe 1/2 of 1 %- you’ll need to get directions /permission’s from locals , local game wardens, Call Texas Parks & Wildlife & start from there- in Austin, Texas. The population has exploded in recent years doing incredible damages all over the state- what a disaster!
Good luck & happy hunting !! Have fun ?. Hogs are very solid tough critters not easy to kill. Use a .270 type caliber with tough deep penetrating bullets ! Keep shooting !

Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado
This isn't necessarily true. I've killed plenty of hogs with a 12 gauge and buckshot. Heck, even killed some with steel shot after duck hunts! Just depends how close one can get to them!

One of my favorite ways to hunt them is slowly stalking the woods with a shotgun.

Texas has some public areas to hunt them that are good pig hunting. Mostly the east part.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom