Where to leave loaded ML overnight?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I have never had a misfire in my Remington 700ml. I got literally one of the first ones about 25 years ago and have taken many deer and elk with it. My last trip in December it was cold, below freezing. On the 3rd day I got my shot and it went off and my bullet made it 20 feet.

I took my gun inside the hotel room each night barrel up - which I have done many time before. The barrel was taped at the end. I shoot saboted TC shockwave that fit TIGHT down the barrel. The gun was loaded very carefully, barrel dried out, shot a cap or 2 before loading to be extra sure.

Each time the gun came inside it had a fair amount of condensation on it. I suspect enough condensation occurred inside the barrel that is ran down and was able to get past my sabot (which really surprised me).

What do you think? This year I think I will leave my gun in the vehicle?

I'm sorry I don't have any advice to help you (sept is nice LOL), but I can't stop thinking about a ml with a cord like a block heater.:)

Last edited:
I always like to keep mine in the truck where the temperature is a little more consistent to avoid condensation, or if its real wet, fire the gun and reload. If you’re unable to fire the load then you could just bring it inside to warm up then pop the breech out and knock the load out the back.

I agree. I had done this many times and never had an issue. Looking back it happened after only 1 night - I have done this for days before. Reloading with, literally, 500 elk with 300 yards was fun. Somehow I did it and got a cow.

BH209 is much better in my both my guns. Have shot 50 shots without cleaning, 50th loads as easy as the first. Cleans up easy with hoppes #9. Never had a misfire winter or summer and have left gun loaded for several weeks. Some guns require a different breech plug for 209. I shoot it in a sidelock also.

I believe there are many overall benefits from BH209. I did install a different breech plug as recommended by CVA. You are shooting a Remington which I have no knowledge so would suggest an email to the gun manufacturer or BH209 about using this powder. All my muzzleloaders shoot it well. So simple to use to.

I hunt with all my Whites, mostly with Pyrodex P powder, and hardly ever unload it during the season, unless I shoot it. They get used in clear, cold, wet, snow and I never have any misfires or issues. Condensation of any kind has never been an issue. The caveat is that I only shoot RWS 1075 percussion caps, which, after extensive personal testing, I found to be the hottest and strongest available. You can swear by CCI, Win, or Rem but I only swore at them and made the switch back in the early 80's. Tried them on all of my Hawkens, Renegades, Lyman GPR, and they work fine. Have never looked back!! If I supply my guns to any friends or guests with a muzzy tag, I insist they shoot my loads and RWS caps too!

8840D533-C715-4DA8-9A8C-982F110F99D3_1_201_a.jpeg

I just got home from a elk hunt in Az
I fouled the barrel the day before the hunt, loaded it and kept in
it in the non heated garage at night and packed it for all 7 days of the season. Night time temps fell to 14. Day temps were 39-54.
Day 7, bang dead elk. 150 gr 3 pellets of white hots, 325 ER powerbelt. Complete pass thru at 150 yds
I wanted to see the bullet as this was the first time using this new designed and released bullet.
I would not bring my gun inside a warm house at night.

I'll keep mine loaded a few days, but if it is very humid or it goes through big temperature shocks, I'll unload it by removing the breech plug, and pushing the powder and bullet out. I don't unload it by shooting.

Yep Don, sometimes you have to learn things the hard way! Tape over the muzzle, wrapping the breech plug area in plastic. They're not perfect...Any doubt, push it out! :cool:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom