WHERE WERE YOU IN 1982 ?

Bannanaclip

I was on Mt Baring Mountain Goat hunting

20210321_232407.jpg

The trick is eating that goat with a smile on your face. The treat is they don’t have much meat on them.

I was 41 & still sort of working a real job then. So I was probably wandering somewhere in AZ to peddle camera/photo related stuff to retail camera stores.

I was about 4 years old. Don’t remember exactly what I was doing, but probably playing with my Tonka Trucks in the back yard.

I had two kids and a new house payment of $380 a month trying to figure out how to make ends meet. I was also stuffing away $35 a year to pay for my ANNUAL out of state Wyoming antelope tag and I'd just purchased a new 4WD Chevy LUV to get me into the mountains.
...so I'm easily old enough to be SS's Daddy...:unsure:

No Offense To You LittleBig!

But You Shoulda Said Great Grand-Daddy!:D

I had two kids and a new house payment of $380 a month trying to figure out how to make ends meet. I was also stuffing away $35 a year to pay for my ANNUAL out of state Wyoming antelope tag and I'd just purchased a new 4WD Chevy LUV to get me into the mountains.

I've heard about those antelope hunts!

Elk season...or football? I had just switched majors from Civil Engineering to Phys ed/Math because I wanted to coach and teach math. I was doing some tutoring when the answer came to me. Went from numma 2 on the depth charts with a couple starts to numma 0 and got one of the best bulls I have ever taken.

I was 3 kicking around on the ranch in Ellensburg Wa.
FYI. Some of you guys are really old. I sure hope iam still getting around in the woods and on this forum in 30 plus years like you guys !!

1982 was a busy season in my life , 3 jobs , college, health club instructor and night shift at UPS. It all paid off !!!

I was just heading to preschool. Not yet crushed by life and full of unrealistic hopes and dreams....... Still holding onto some of those dreams 40 years later, and I haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up.

T'was Still Pulling What I Thought Was a PISSCUTTER at the Time Out of the Back-Woods!

Thinking How Crappy The Mule Deer Hunting Had Really Become!

Now Looking Back I Wish I Could Go Back To 1980 and Not Dealing with all the BS That goes with today's Hunting!

T'was Still Pulling What I Thought Was a PISSCUTTER at the Time Out of the Back-Woods!

Thinking How Crappy The Mule Deer Hunting Had Really Become!

Now Looking Back I Wish I Could Go Back To 1980 and Not Dealing with all the BS That goes with today's Hunting!
You should visit a therapist, Bessie. You're getting too emotional. :rolleyes:

I was haulin’ butt down the trail on the back of dads brand new 1982 kawasaki 250 enduro…he was driving of course!

I miss those days…

Last edited:
I was hunting the Henry's when it was 3 point or better in 82.
It was an open unit with triple the amount of hunters yet with quality hunting that blew away what it is today as an LE.

Trying to squeeze $150 out of the budget so I could get my non resident Idaho license to fish and hunt small game and deer. Trying to decide which part of the state to hunt on my $30 Utah combination hunting and fishing license (deer tag included). Too many choices. On the Manti for the big bucks seen during the general elk. Out on the West desert where we always see big bucks while chuckar hunting. On the Wellsville for the big bucks seen on my training hikes and rides. On the Uintah south slope for the “piss cutters” we see on our fishing trips. Above Ceder Fort with my uncles and cousins on deer drives where someone always kills a “monster”. Any and all on the same tag. That was the end of an era. ?

BacDoc, That store clerk was pocketing some good money selling you a combo tag for $30 in 1982. :) ?
Pretty cool that you were into chuckars back then. They didn't become a thing for me until 1990. I wish I could go back in time when they were less popular.

BacDoc, That store clerk was pocketing some good money selling you a combo tag for $30 in 1982. :) ?
Pretty cool that you were into chuckars back then. They didn't become a thing for me until 1990. I wish I could go back in time when they were less popular.
The first chuckars I remember hunting on purpose were on the Lake Bonneville benches between Alpine and the month of Amican Fork Canyon. That would have been between 1967 and 1970. We pretty much had it to ourselves. We would also go out past Dugway to the Old River Bed and Keg Mountain. Never saw anyone else hunting either deer or chuckars out there. I can still picture my Grandpa Barnes hunting with us in his 80’s. I haven’t killed a chuckar in years,but used to say after chasing them, deer and elk hunting was easy. My memory may be off a little on the price of tags.?

A tragic year,

At age 27 I was in the third year of my forty year career in the oil industry. My best friend and roommate and I had migrated to South Louisiana from New England. The Jimmy Carter, post oil embargo years trashed employment opportunities, especially in central Mass. It was that bad that we traveled 1800 miles to find meaningful work. My Dad was impressed I was willing to do this!

Mike and I were boring people to be around. We were on 24 hour call (pre-cell phone) doing intervention work for Otis Engineering and we would talk shop any time we got together. l benefited from his work experiences and he from mine. We were deep into the training and enjoying the fact that our employer and customers trusted us to perform the demanding work. A far cry from my previous limited responsibilities of any job I had back home. This all occurred while being exposed to the culture shock of living in Cajun Country. It was eye opening to a great degree. The non-union, performance based, get-r-done style that was the 'Oil Patch" in the early 80's. We enjoyed the spontaneous nature and the feeling of accomplishment at completing a task, procedure, or assignment. I was forced to think on my feet and I enjoyed being challenged.

Tragic day. On my Birthday in July, a Pan Am express flight to Las Vegas from New Orleans went down upon take off. Crashing do to wind shear in a Kenner, La residential neighborhood. All passengers and crew were lost and another 11 people on the ground. My former roommate Michel J. Haley 26 years old was confirmed to be on the flight.

We played basketball, and ran cross-country on the same squads. His older brothers played with mine. His only sister was living in New Iberia with another close home town friend. At the time, I was working a 7&7 schedule as a wireline operator at Exxon's EI-314 field in the Gulf of Mexico. This post was previously held by Mike and he was well known and liked by the Exxon Personnel. Every time I would dig into a file to bone up on a project, Mike's paperwork was there. In many ways my life can be described/defined as pre-plane crash or post-plane crash crash. I flew in helicopters regularly. It did not bother me much to do so after the event. However, I became a white-knuckled passenger on any commercial flight for years.

I think of Mike every day. Often wonder how his life might have progressed had he not made that flight. He helped form my political beliefs with his subscription to US World News Report. Having served overseas in the US Navy, Mike was well traveled. We had many deep discussions as were both exposed to points of view different from the group-think (often uninformed) views of the 1970's in Western Mass. In the Oil industry we met many, consultants, Engineers, (including foreign born) oil field employees from all across the gulf south. Many local co-workers with broad and diverse backgrounds influenced me as I had more sustained contact with them. Some were shockingly out there, while most were not. Over time, I learned that I could deeply disagree with someone on one subject, while at the same time see value in there opinion/advice on another topic. It's a work in progress.

The events of 1982 impacted me and my other Northern friends greatly. I will always be thank full to the many folks that helped us Yankees get thru a tough time.

LaGriz

BigJohn
Back in the 80s it was probably a good place in most of Pennsylvania.
It was definitely different for a kid that grew up a mile from the beach ! My first time back east. I did knock on Larry Holmes door in Easton Pennsylvania. Funny a white lady answered the door. I believe it was the maid. He was very nice to the Elders. He had a LDS doctor and liked us because of him. Their you go Homer a Missionary story just for you !

Junior in High School, hunting Deer, Turkey, coyote, pheasant and quail mostly. If I could do it all over again I would do it in a heartbeat!

My wife and I were expecting our 4th daughter and I was 2 years into starting my business. Made my second trip to Wyoming to hunt deer.

Graduation from high school--a NW Indiana fundamentalist (daily) academy, how I made it outta there with their mental and physical torture is indeed a miracle, and I'm not talking 'time outs'...this was serious sh t.

I still see some of those (old) abusers now on FB etc. and want to go beat the sh t outta them for it all.

Living in my second home where I still live today. Bought the first one for $30,500 and the second for $50,000. Had three kids, plus one in the cemetary. Had hunted in tardville for 16 years and started hunting in Idaho and Wyoming about then. Could see over 100 deer from the house in the winter. On a good day you can see one or two nowadays on the same hillside.

I was in Debt!! Trying to recover from four years of Jimmy the Peanut Farmer Carter's presidency. Runaway inflation and paying 22% interest for a car. Sad part is it's looking like we didn't learn our lesson and we're headed down the same road we were on 40 years ago.
Depressing times watching my dad’s 200 unit apartment complex get wiped out by variable rate interest on 5 of the 7 buildings. Mom refused to let him lock in at 7%. Net worth went from about 24 mil in todays dollars to 1.5 and was lucky to salvage that. Grew up working there since age 12 and it ended up sold for chump change to Indian doctor group. Great year to graduate college with construction degree zero jobs. I moved from IN to TX to frame homes a few years and met others in the same boat. On top of that met ex who would end up stealing my hard earned life savings and dream property. Changed my life forever. Lol what a miserable year. Thanks Jimmy.

Last edited:
Wow, Zim; but if you have your health now, you have everything. Bottom line.
Well at 61, I sort of have that. Laundry list of broken parts, worst of which are feet, but I am managing OK. 4 years plantar fasciitis in left, partial torn Achilles’ tendon in right. If either of these flare up I can’t hunt. Oh and pacemaker from atrial flutter about ready for an upgrade. But last four funerals I attended were for guys younger than me so I ain’t complaining.

9 years into what ended up being a 36 year run as a State Parks Ranger/Supervisor/Acting Regional Manager. Lived in an old ranch house built in 1941 on a historic ranch site from the pioneer days which was incorporated into a headquarters for Spring Valley State Park. I think about that time they transitioned from an LE shield (I wore #30) to an LE star ( I wore #9). I would do it again as I raised a family of 4 kids in the Nevada outback (residing within the various Parks). So many fond memories of the people met along the way, adventures, struggles, predicaments, job challenges, and dynamics involved in management of some wonderful and beautiful areas of the great state of Nevada! (pic was from a ways further in the future).
dad1 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
9 years into what ended up being a 36 year run as a State Parks Ranger/Supervisor/Acting Regional Manager. Lived in an old ranch house built in 1941 on a historic ranch site from the pioneer days which was incorporated into a headquarters for Spring Valley State Park. I think about that time they transitioned from an LE shield (I wore #30) to an LE star ( I wore #9). I would do it again as I raised a family of 4 kids in the Nevada outback (residing within the various Parks). So many fond memories of the people met along the way, adventures, struggles, predicaments, job challenges, and dynamics involved in management of some wonderful and beautiful areas of the great state of Nevada! (pic was from a ways further in the future).View attachment 71640
Thank you for your service.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom