Where would you apply for elk?

nv_hunter

Very Active Member
So I have 6 elk points and my buddy has 16 and he wants to apply together. I believe that means we will enter the draw with an average of 11. We are leaning towards Archery Manti. With 11 points where would you go?

Just looked at this past year's drawing. Your friend has a lot of options for rifle- most late hunts he would draw and he has a good chance at bonus tag on early rifle manti if the same people put in like last year.

You have a good chance at an archery tag by yourself. Together you can draw some good tags. If your friend wants to do archery he has a chance at pulling San Juan.

Go to DWR and check out the LE drawing. Manti is good but he has a chance at some real good tags with a rifle. Study up and make a plan with options by yourselves, together, and different seasons.

Let him pull a really good tag and have fun and then next year you pull a tag your turn to hunt- two years of hunting in a row is a good plan.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/bg/2020/20_bg-odds.pdf Here is where you go to check draw odds for hunts for 2020.

80011EEF-778A-4D2C-BFD9-708E3D534265.png

D2F6E2D2-F755-44D5-B390-66F54E2E59F7.png

0DEA4E45-7E15-442B-8FA7-21DD9BBB782E.png

Why does that amaze you. You know most these draw units are turning onto once in a life time hunts. Some people don’t get to go on the units every year and look around, so how they going to learn the area when they only get a tag every 20 years.

Why does that amaze you. You know most these draw units are turning onto once in a life time hunts. Some people don’t get to go on the units every year and look around, so how they going to learn the area when they only get a tag every 20 years.
The thought of hunting on a spike, cow or GS buck tag in the area your interested in prior to applying for that unit, hasn’t ever crossed your mind? There’s more opportunities out there than just the LE or OIL draws. Learn the area, where the animals are/aren’t and you’re hunting at the same time. Win/win/win.

it’s common sense.

so you're going to wait until you draw a tag before you step foot in the areas? good plan
That’s what most people do. Then they hop on here or Facebook, make up some kinda “feel sorry for me” story on why they haven’t had a chance to scout and ask others for their hard earned info, more specifically pins on where to sit and which Sage hillside the animals will be on. No chit, I’ve even seen guys post things like “haven’t had time to sight my rifle in, can someone do it for me before this weekend?” ?

Not me I know where I’m going. I’m just saying I’m glad theres people like that. Vern if every Tom,dick, and Harry that thought they were going to draw a tag in the future was in them units scouting every year judust priest it would be grand central station. It already bad enough that every tag holder has to take 15 guys with him. It’s hard to find a ridge that doesn’t have side x sides everywhere. We don’t need more people snooping around.. so stay home and when you draw I’ll give you some pointers. Don’t get me started on them f-n spike and cow hunts.

Would you like us to show you our hunting spots too. amazes me people put in for decades but then have no idea what to do or where to go.
What amazes me is that you're so bothered by someone asking a simple question (that wasn't even specifically directed to you) that you took the time to post a reply condemning them for doing so. I guess it makes you feel just a little bit better about yourself?
This site is specifically for people to talk about hunting, hunting units, etc. If you don't want to participate, don't, but don't be condemning people for wanting to discuss hunting in a hunting forum.

good post and well said Founder. So ole Vern must only hunt UT lol!! I apply all over the west in units I never stepped foot in. Hell I apply in units in my home state every year that I have never hunted and will never hunt unless I draw a tag. Some actually like to hunt and most of us work and have only so much time to spend hunting. I sure as hell am not spending my time scouting a area not hunting that I may or may not draw for 10- 20 years! narrow minded people on here and some need to just scroll on if you dont have anything productive to add to the post. And really why are you even on these forums?

You should look at some muzzleloader tag options with a combined 11 points. No need to burn 11 on archery unless you really prefer it.

Lots of good options nv-hunter.
One thing is for sure. You are very lucky to have such a good friend willing to share that many points. In today's world most have become way too selfish to consider such a gesture. I'd value that more than any tag you might get. Best of luck, and pat that guy on the back for me, cause he's gotta be a good dude!

Remember that when you look at those odds charts that you are in the row with one less point than you have now. So you would have 5 points and your buddy would have 15. Combined you would have 20 total - 10 combined.

Sanpete county REALLY PUSHES ATV/SXS tourism. Archery time of year is rediculously crowded. And im a huge fan of Manti, hunted it my whole life.

Wasatch has fewer roads. Something to think about

You know, if we had a better way to recon a diy hunt maybe there would be fewer 16 man outfitter squads in the field?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom