Which arrows?

dgwoody

I've seen a few older posts about this, but technology changes so here's a new one.

I've been shooting the same arrows for 15+ years, but they aren't made anymore. I'm looking to change to something new. I hunt mostly elk, shoot a 70# bow at 27.5 draw length. What do you guys shoot? What's durable?

Vitalwave

I used to use the cheapest arrows I could find. I liked the carbon express ones from Wal-mart on their clearance after season. Seems like they got wise to that and don't discount them anymore. They worked fine and you didn't feel too bad about losing them every once in a while. Last year I decided to level up and got the Victory VAP TKO Gamer and love them! Way more pricy but I love them!

wweaver79

Easton Axis 5mm Match Grade 300/340s.
I bought a dozen of the 4mm match grade long range this year also and put the Iron will 50 grain inserts in them with 25 grain collars to build 520 grain elk arrows, you almost cry when you break one or loose it, but they realllly penetrate well.

JPickett

Very Active Member
How’s your FOC with those inserts? I run the 300 FMJ’s and I’m right around 526gr with my 125gr broad heads. I forget off the top of my head what the FOC is but it’s about perfect. Shoots bullet holes through paper too

wweaver79

I have no idea what the FOC is, has to be fairly high. I bought a 75lb Matthews VXR last year and turned it down to draw 73lbs, it was just a bit to much to hold for extended periods- which you will do elk hunting- when I received it at 76lbs. I use the 125 Iron Will solid heads. I four fletched them with AAE max hunters. They fly like darts and very accurate. I was running 340 Axis with just 125 heads no extra weight in my 70lb Heli-M, and heavier arrows just fly better and about the same speed with a little more draw weight. When you shoot them side by side with a 5mm, the 4mm arrow with about 75 grains more weight penetrates several more inches into a block target, not fun to pull out.

dgwoody

I tried a few FMJ’s years ago and they didn’t maintain straightness for me. They seemed to bend like an old fashioned aluminum XX78 that I started with a few decades ago. Does that seem to be an issue for those of you using them?

JPickett

Very Active Member
I’ve never had one bend shooting targets. After I kill an animal I hang that arrow on the wall in my gear room. And yeah some of them are bent, most you could shoot again just like new.

Weaver, I’m with you on heavy arrows. I purpose built my bow with 80# limbs just for elk. Got it cranked down to 82 pounds and with my draw (32”) it’s a hammer . You can solve that hard to hold at draw by switching to an elite

HntHrdr

I’m always tweaking gear. Shot cheap GT hunters one year. Last year I shot FMJ’s, this year I went with GT kinetic pierce with added weight up front 125 heads, plus ballistic collar insert and a 20 grain screw in( 15% Foc) so far I’m a fan of them. I’m building from bare shaft to try and keep the cost down but arrows are getting spendy. So much for archery hunting being cheap haha

WiscoKid

Have been shooting the Easton FMJ 5mm for quite a few years now and have never had any straightness issues that I can notice in my shooting and the penetration is just wonderful.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom