Which arrows?

dgwoody

I've seen a few older posts about this, but technology changes so here's a new one.

I've been shooting the same arrows for 15+ years, but they aren't made anymore. I'm looking to change to something new. I hunt mostly elk, shoot a 70# bow at 27.5 draw length. What do you guys shoot? What's durable?

I used to use the cheapest arrows I could find. I liked the carbon express ones from Wal-mart on their clearance after season. Seems like they got wise to that and don't discount them anymore. They worked fine and you didn't feel too bad about losing them every once in a while. Last year I decided to level up and got the Victory VAP TKO Gamer and love them! Way more pricy but I love them!

Easton Axis 5mm Match Grade 300/340s.
I bought a dozen of the 4mm match grade long range this year also and put the Iron will 50 grain inserts in them with 25 grain collars to build 520 grain elk arrows, you almost cry when you break one or loose it, but they realllly penetrate well.

How’s your FOC with those inserts? I run the 300 FMJ’s and I’m right around 526gr with my 125gr broad heads. I forget off the top of my head what the FOC is but it’s about perfect. Shoots bullet holes through paper too

I have no idea what the FOC is, has to be fairly high. I bought a 75lb Matthews VXR last year and turned it down to draw 73lbs, it was just a bit to much to hold for extended periods- which you will do elk hunting- when I received it at 76lbs. I use the 125 Iron Will solid heads. I four fletched them with AAE max hunters. They fly like darts and very accurate. I was running 340 Axis with just 125 heads no extra weight in my 70lb Heli-M, and heavier arrows just fly better and about the same speed with a little more draw weight. When you shoot them side by side with a 5mm, the 4mm arrow with about 75 grains more weight penetrates several more inches into a block target, not fun to pull out.

I tried a few FMJ’s years ago and they didn’t maintain straightness for me. They seemed to bend like an old fashioned aluminum XX78 that I started with a few decades ago. Does that seem to be an issue for those of you using them?

I’ve never had one bend shooting targets. After I kill an animal I hang that arrow on the wall in my gear room. And yeah some of them are bent, most you could shoot again just like new.

Weaver, I’m with you on heavy arrows. I purpose built my bow with 80# limbs just for elk. Got it cranked down to 82 pounds and with my draw (32”) it’s a hammer . You can solve that hard to hold at draw by switching to an elite

I’m always tweaking gear. Shot cheap GT hunters one year. Last year I shot FMJ’s, this year I went with GT kinetic pierce with added weight up front 125 heads, plus ballistic collar insert and a 20 grain screw in( 15% Foc) so far I’m a fan of them. I’m building from bare shaft to try and keep the cost down but arrows are getting spendy. So much for archery hunting being cheap haha

Have been shooting the Easton FMJ 5mm for quite a few years now and have never had any straightness issues that I can notice in my shooting and the penetration is just wonderful.

Thanks for the responses! I thought hard about the FMJ’s, but couldn’t shake some of the bad taste I had from the last time I tried them. I just ordered a couple dozen axis 5mms

I normally used to use the Easton arrows. I really liked the bloodlines or whatever they are. Now I'm using VAPs and they seem ok....idk how I feel truly about them yet, I need to send more down range to find out. I'm no fan of the carbon express arrows, or the FMJs either.

I tried the victory vaps ss elites last year with a 90gr insert 100 gr tips. They are expensive but they don't bend like I've seen the fmj's do. I got my foc up and overall weight up as well. 29.5" arrow total weight was 536 fps foc was close to 15٪ and the bow got quite a bit quieter. I shot a antelope buck quartering away caught the last 2 ribs and came out in front of the offside shoulder at 21 yards. Then shot my first 6 point bull elk at 58 yds complete pass through. Broadside through the heart. Couldn't find the arrow in the jungle behind him though. Very tough arrow all 12 flew great with broadheads out to 100 yards

I've seen a few older posts about this, but technology changes so here's a new one.

I've been shooting the same arrows for 15+ years, but they aren't made anymore. I'm looking to change to something new. I hunt mostly elk, shoot a 70# bow at 27.5 draw length. What do you guys shoot? What's durable?
GoldTip quality isn't what it used to be. Used to be diehard Goldtip fan. The last few yrs I was having consistency issues with Goldtip Pro Hunters ($169/Doz), and fliers that I couldn't explain. Tried Victory Vap Elites and those issues went away instantly. No changes to the set up or bow. This year I grabbed a dozen Victory TKO's and they fly great as well. Just expensive. I put the TKO's on my spinner and 12/12 spun perfect. The Vaps 10/12 spun perfect. Much better than 3/12 with the GoldTip Pro arrows.

I’ve had great luck with the Easton axis 5mm match grade with 125 gr kudupoints Broadheads and can cut my fletchings @80 yds so had to start shooting one at a time! 72# draw and 27” draw out of my Hoyt

Been using the Easton HEXX 330's lately with a 50 gr brass insert and 100 grain FP/BH.

Last few elk I've shot with them have been pass through's at 30 yard shot distances (25-35).

Just as a follow up for those curious, the early results on the 5mm Axis's have been promising. Have been shoot them a few times a week for the last month and a half and they seem to fly well and are very consistent. So far, so good.

I still shoot Gold Tip's Hunter Series. Can't beat the price and they're durable. Spin the shafts and cut off the least straight ends. 50-100 grain insert up front, GTO nocks on the backside, love em. Upgrade to the XT or Pro model if you want the straightness comfort of mind, but I group the Hunter's at long range just fine (Cut and fletch own arrows). Lose too many flinging at 3D for $20 arrows, but if you have the money, Black Eagle would be my first choice. Day Six or Full Metal Jackets are great too.

29" Draw 70 lbs.
Gold Tip Hunter 300 spine
50 Grain Insert
125 Grain Sevr 1.5
GTO Nock
Total Arrow Weight: 480 Grains

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom