Which Caliber

GONHUNTIN

the guide I am working with told me yesterday after my first year of guiding he will get me a custom rifle, and I cant seem to figure out which caliber I would want, any sugestions???

I have a 22-250, 2 30-06s, a 270wsm

It will be built on a model 70 action, that is all I know for sure...................THANKS MARK

well you got the deer and varmint rifles already so i would go with something for the bigger game,,like a 340 weatherby......sounds like a good outfit to work for...beardog

Well, Gon I would have to say for you a 22 mag. Not really, look into the 25-06. Good flat shooter. I'm not an expert though or a 7mm-08 or a 35 whelen or a 257 or a 264 or a 7mmwsm. That would be a hard decision, especially when it is custom built.. Wow thats got to be nice..
Jer

Look at the 338/06. It is easier to get bullets for this than the 35 whelen if you reload. Same performance as the 338 mag with out the recoil. Great elk gun.

You have everything covered from small to mid so why not go big? If it were me I would go with a 338 ultra mag. Look at the ballistics and I think you will be impressed.

i think id go with the new 243 xteam from browning if avalable
its a necked down 270 wsm to a 243

If your down to the four My vote would go for the 257 WBY Mag. I have the Mark V in that caliber and love it. But as stated in the posts earlier you have a good selection of the deer size calibers and working as a guide I would want to round out my selection with something a bit bigger also.The 340 WBY is another sweet round that would have you pretty much covered on all the bases with what you already have in your arsenal. Just my 2 cents though.

Happy trails

Ridge Runner

OOPS, I don't know if you could put the 340 on that action though?

Happy trails

Ridge Runner

Get a 280 ackley improved or just the 280, that is a awsome round.

Smiling.gif

Howdy,
Given the guns you say you already have, you seem to have all the small to medium+ game covered.
(22-250, 2 30-06s, a 270wsm)
I think if this was the arsenal I already had I would definately "Upgrade" to something for the "bigger" critters.
Not much difference in the "smaller" 3 cartridges you mention vs what you already have?

If the 8mm mag is one of your 4 choices then I'd look real close at the 338 win mag instead. With 200 gr.loads the 338 is ballistically identical to the 8mm mag but fits into a "standard" action Mod 70. Factory ammunition choices are certainly better as well.
Good Luck on your decision.
Later,

RICK, aka "BCWill"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom