Which Eberlestock pack.

Z

I am having trouble picking which pack I want, either the Blue Widow or Dragonfly.

I hunt with all three weapon types and need a pack that I will be able to use all seasons and uses.

Blue Widow:
I like the wider chassis and double support straps on the BW. I also like the close to the body ride it offers. I felt the suspension system and straps feel better.

I didn't like the way the scabbard keeps the rifle butt close to your head...I could tilt my head back and smack myself. I wonder if properly fitted...would the scabbard remain fair back enough to stop that? I am also thinking on mounting it on the side to help remedy that.

Dragonfly:
I don't like the small chassis. All the fully loaded pics I see of it, it seems as if though the weight/load "spill over" on the sides.
The scabbard is nice.....but can kind of see where the load might ride away from you. The suspension system and straps feel too beefy and bulky. Also, it seems as if though it might be too rough on the hide...

What I am asking from the masses....what are ya'lls experiences with these packs? I need help picking which way to go. I haven't fully loaded either to see what they would do but know plenty of you have.

Thanks in advance!

>Kifaru

Doesn't really help me much and not all of us can go out and spend that much on a pack.

i really like my x2. i attached a scabbard from my saddle to the x2 and it worked great for my rifle hunt. i also have the bow holder for it it works pretty goood to. only thing is if your taller it does not adjust. im 5'9 and it fits good but ill bet much over 6 ft would prob not be real comfortable. I packed 2 hind quarters and a front quarter 3-4 miles and it was awesome and so easy to load. i could have easily taken more but i did not need to. i actually took more then everyone cause i wanted to test the pack out. i and the other 3 were quite impressed witht he pack. i would say its a good overnight pack maybe 2 days but not much more then that.

ive never used the other packs you have mentioned but if your not a real long upper bodied guy check out the x2.

I own two Eberlestock packs:

The 'Just One' (J34) which is great for overnight packing/sleeping. Lots of room for anything you'll need, and they also have a supplemental attachment which increases the capacity to something like 7000 cubic inches. All the space you will ever need..... ;)

I also own the 'Gunrunner' (H2). I bought this one because I was VERY impressed with the J34 that I bought a few years ago, but I wanted a pack for just 'day hunting'. The J34 was just a bit much for only a day trip, IMO.

For me, you can't go wrong with an Eberlestock pack. The two things that stand-out for me are the quality of the workmanship, and the gun scabbard feature. VERY nice to be able to carry your rifle comfortably on your back with the scabbard. I hear what you are saying about the rifle butt being close to your head, but I have never had a problem with it personally.

All that being said, unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Dragonfly. Also, I have not tried to carry any weapon other than my rifle.

Good luck in your quest!

S.

:)

I have the Dragonfly and love it. I am 6'7" and large framed and it fits me extremely well. Hauled out a deboned rear quarter, cape and rack on my 2010 bull for 2 1/2 miles and never had a problem with "spill over". It is a bit heavy empty but is small enough for a one day shed hunt and expands big enough for a couple dayer with room to spare.

I understand that... But it's no different than optics. In this case, do you want to spend 2-300 dollars on a pack every other year, or 6-800 once and be set for the rest of your hunting career. Just something to think about is all.

My buddy has a J107 and he liked it. Last year when I shot my buck about 7 miles from the trail head he took all the boned out meat in his pack. I tried it on just to see how it rode and I have to say it was a bit uncomfortable.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]KUIU packs the 3000 plus frame is on sale right in the Outlet section.

I have had eberlestocks and all have failed.

I have the Dragonfly and have had no issues with it. In many ways it seems over built. If you don't need that big of a pack though I would probably go with the BW.

>I have the Dragonfly and have
>had no issues with it.
>In many ways it seems
>over built. If you don't
>need that big of a
>pack though I would probably
>go with the BW.

This will be a backcountry type pack for me. They are the same pack, minus the scabbard I believe.

I have both packs. I prefer the Blue Widow to the Dragonfly. The only advantage of the Dragonfly is the scabbard, but it can make the pack a little awkward at times (relatively speeking). With the accessories, you can easily attach a rifle to the Blue Widow, in any number of configurations (off to the side, on the very back, etc not just against the spine). I also like how the bow holder (the Buttbucket) attaches to the Blue Widow better. It's a little more stable. That being said, the Butt Bucket doesn't seem to accomodate parallel limb bows too well...it'll cradle them but they tend to kind of twist the Butt Bucket (it's not really noticable in how it carries though). I'd recommend the Blue Widow. I don't think you can go wrong with either pack though.

>This will be a backcountry type
>pack for me. They are
>the same pack, minus the
>scabbard I believe.

Mystery Ranch.

I own two Eberlestock packs. Good packs but I'd want more support for a BP trip.

>I have both packs. I
>prefer the Blue Widow to
>the Dragonfly. The only
>advantage of the Dragonfly is
>the scabbard, but it can
>make the pack a little
>awkward at times (relatively speeking).
> With the accessories, you
>can easily attach a rifle
>to the Blue Widow, in
>any number of configurations (off
>to the side, on the
>very back, etc not just
>against the spine). I
>also like how the bow
>holder (the Buttbucket) attaches to
>the Blue Widow better.
>It's a little more stable.
> That being said, the
>Butt Bucket doesn't seem to
>accomodate parallel limb bows too
>well...it'll cradle them but they
>tend to kind of twist
>the Butt Bucket (it's not
>really noticable in how it
>carries though). I'd recommend
>the Blue Widow. I
>don't think you can go
>wrong with either pack though.
>

Thanks Gator!

I am going to go out on a limb here myself and say that since you are asking for advice you wouldn't know the answer to that question either :)

Good luck with your pack, hope you can fill it up with some meat!

>NickM-
>I'm going to go out on
>a limb here and say
>you can get more than
>1 year of use out
>of an Eberlestock pack.

That is why I said "every other year".

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]The dragonfly is bigger than the blue widdow the scabbard is only half of the extra pack area. The other half is a large hydration pocket with a pocket underneath that works great for game bags and rain gear etc.

It seems some people on here are still trying to justify spending double what you will spend on the pack you want. Don't worry about them if you like the ebberlestock and it fits you should have several happy years with it. My X2 day/work pack is still going strong after a few years of abuse. Its interesting that when people have something bad to say about eberlestocks they rarely provide specifics. If they had problems why not explain them. You can look on several sites and read details with photos included about pack failures (badlands for example) and there are posts about eberlestocks comfort issues but I have little faith in the opinion of someone who cant give an actual reason or account as to why the put down a product.

xc3

I hear about Eberlestock pack failures on occasion. That being said, although that could be catastrophic, their customer service has been great IMO. I would like to add that I somehow strapped 2 bone-in hind quarters and a loin from a big Oryx on the MINI-ME! It survived they 3 mile hike down the mountain and survived and continue to this day.

I just sold all of my badlands packs, the 4500 and the 2800 and moved to the X2 and the Blue Widow. There was not enough pockets or attachment options on the badlands as the there is on the Eberlestock. I don't think you can go wrong with Eberlestock. I am not bashing badlands. I like them both, it is just time to use the eberlestock packs.
Good luck!

I bought an X2 last year and used it quite a bit. I packed out 2 hind quarters from a buck in Wy. It was about 2 miles and i had no problem. I especially like the flap at the bottom of the pack. i put the head and cape in it on another deer and worked great. I love the scabbard that you can buy for the pack, i am left handed and no other pack that i know of has a LH version. I put the scabbard on the side i want. And last i really really like the way the pack fits. It has the mesh in the back that sits the pack away from your back for a little more ventilation.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom