Which Native American Reservations are good to hunt?

flyingbrass

I been wanting to look at this a little more. I know they are expensive but want some recommendation. I'm interested in an Elk hunt probably with a rifle during the rut but I'd do another type of hunt also to save some money. Also, would I have to spend the money on a state hunting license if I hunt on a reservation?

cold dead hands

Both Apache reservations in Arizona have huge elk and huge price tags for their hunts. Google San Carlos and White Mountain reservations.

You'll find Indian Reservation hunts in several states, and you do not need any license other than a tribal license. As for elk hunts, in Arizona you have White Mtn., San Carlos, Hualapai, Havasupai and Navaho that all offer some level of elk hunting opportunity. As you can imagine, they're generally very expensive with waiting lists, but if you do your homework, there are some neat hunts that aren't as expensive. One hunt I'd love to do if my son were still young enough is the youth elk hunt on San Carlos. They limit the size of bull a kid can shoot, but it's only $3,500 or so. In New Mexico, you might consider the Mescalero, Jicarilla, Pueblo of Acoma or Laguna Pueblo. The Jicarilla has traditionally offered some of the less expensive elk hunts on Apache reservations. I hunted on Laguna about 5 or 6 years ago, and had a bad hunt, but have heard that they've made changes and might be a better option now.

You can find Indian Reservation hunts in most other states. I've also hunted whitetails in Montana on a reservation and had good results up there. You do have to keep in mind that each reservation hunt will be different depending on the tribe and what you're hunting. I've found hunts as inexpensive as a few thousand dollars all the way up to $40K for some of the elk offerings on San Carlos.

By the way, all the indians I know call themselves INDIANS, not NATIVE AMERICANS. I have a buddy who's a Cree that guides me when I hunt whitetails on his rez in Montana. He told me that the term Native American is for white folks who need to feel better about themselves; and Indians are proud to be referred to as just that, INDIANS. He told me they'd rather be referred to as Apaches, Navajo, Cree, Shoshone, Blackfoot, Utes or whatever, than Native Americans.

CAElknuts,
THanks for the reply. Most of these are going to be too expensive for me to be honest. My dad was a true Indian. No card but the real deal for sure god rest his soul. I should have said Indian I guess. Good information for me. Any idea of the odds of drawing Jicarill?
cold dead hands

I could be wrong, but my understanding of elk hunting on the Jicarilla is first come, first served. From what I've heard, their elk hunts are no more cost than many other non-reservation guided elk hunts. I am almost sure that you need a tribal guide as part of the deal, but don't know if that is included or not.

You can hunt the Pueblo of Laguna on your own, but you have to apply for the tag in a drawing. They have several seperate units open to elk hunting, and some are better than others.

The Jicarilla bull elk hunts are a drawing but they are high success drawing, I was told 85% to 90%. It may be less for the first week and higher for the later weeks. The Jicarilla only sell you a tag, you do have to hire a tribal member as a guide, stay in a motel and provide your own food. The total cost will be similar to a New Mexico private land hunt with land owner tag.

CAelknuts, I couldn't agree more with your friend. Have your friend check out the album by JD Blackfoot it was recorded live in ST.Louis MO. It might be had to find.

THe Lengend of Crazy Horse (is the song) it's about 30 minutes long but great, it sends goose bumps up spine everytime.

" Crazy horse, Crazy Horse, I wish you were here to see, cause I got Yellow Hair cornered at the Bighorn and I'm about to SET HIM FREE"

Or something to that affect.

Joe

As you can see from my user name I am a Indian, You will find no Reservation hunting here in Colorado unless you are a Indian yourself. Arizona is the absolute best place to go with the San Carlos Rez producing handfuls of 400+ bulls every year, but with big inches comes big price tags. The hunts on the San Carlos are in the 20k-50k price range. If I were you Id go for the Jicarilla as said before, you can kill 370+ bulls there very easy and you are in charge of hiring a guide. Im not sure on the price of the hunts but some of the best tags are auction style. Look on www.huntjicarilla.com for more info.

I guide on the Goshute reservation in western Utah for elk.
Pm me for info if you'd like to know more about it.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Mescalero Apache outside of Ruidoso, NM. Huge bulls in the $15,000 range. To the best fo my knowledge, that price includes a fully outfitted guided hunt.

I guide on the Goshute reservation in western Utah for elk.
Pm me for info if you'd like to know more about it.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"
Good Evening Sir! My name is Mike Shreeve and a friend and I are interested in hunting Bull Elk next year and each year thereafter for the next 6-7 years. I don't know anything about requirements (ie, cost), locations, licenses, tags (draw), etc., but know we want to add an Elk to our trophies before I can no longer hunt. Can you help? My email address is: [email protected].

Thanks again! Mike Shreeve

Good Evening Sir! My name is Mike Shreeve and a friend and I are interested in hunting Bull Elk next year and each year thereafter for the next 6-7 years. I don't know anything about requirements (ie, cost), locations, licenses, tags (draw), etc., but know we want to add an Elk to our trophies before I can no longer hunt. Can you help? My email address is: [email protected].

This thread is 13 years old. Might want to try elsewhere

Old thread but if anyone is looking for a great elk or mule deer hunt go to the Jicarilla in Dulce NM. For a guide you will never do better than Larson Pazy

This thread is old yes, but the reservation and the outfitter i used to guide on and for are still very much in business.
Feel free to look them up, they still harvest exceptional bulls!
www.bucksandbulls.com

*Larson Panzy

About the most affordable rez hunt is the Jic, and then probably the Navajo. Maybe.

Been several years since I hunted the Jic and looked into the Navajo.

Most rez hunts require tribal guides for non tribal members, including other tribal members from other tribes.
I'm a Hopi tribal member and have thought about hunting on San Carlos, White Mountain, Jicarilla and Navajo, however due to the price of the guides, it's just to expensive.

Most rez hunts require tribal guides for non tribal members, including other tribal members from other tribes.
I'm a Hopi tribal member and have thought about hunting on San Carlos, White Mountain, Jicarilla and Navajo, however due to the price of the guides, it's just to expensive.
Put the war paint on and get it done!

You'll find Indian Reservation hunts in several states, and you do not need any license other than a tribal license. As for elk hunts, in Arizona you have White Mtn., San Carlos, Hualapai, Havasupai and Navaho that all offer some level of elk hunting opportunity. As you can imagine, they're generally very expensive with waiting lists, but if you do your homework, there are some neat hunts that aren't as expensive. One hunt I'd love to do if my son were still young enough is the youth elk hunt on San Carlos. They limit the size of bull a kid can shoot, but it's only $3,500 or so. In New Mexico, you might consider the Mescalero, Jicarilla, Pueblo of Acoma or Laguna Pueblo. The Jicarilla has traditionally offered some of the less expensive elk hunts on Apache reservations. I hunted on Laguna about 5 or 6 years ago, and had a bad hunt, but have heard that they've made changes and might be a better option now.

You can find Indian Reservation hunts in most other states. I've also hunted whitetails in Montana on a reservation and had good results up there. You do have to keep in mind that each reservation hunt will be different depending on the tribe and what you're hunting. I've found hunts as inexpensive as a few thousand dollars all the way up to $40K for some of the elk offerings on San Carlos.

By the way, all the indians I know call themselves INDIANS, not NATIVE AMERICANS. I have a buddy who's a Cree that guides me when I hunt whitetails on his rez in Montana. He told me that the term Native American is for white folks who need to feel better about themselves; and Indians are proud to be referred to as just that, INDIANS. He told me they'd rather be referred to as Apaches, Navajo, Cree, Shoshone, Blackfoot, Utes or whatever, than Native Americans.
Please. BS. Native, Indian, or whatever. I lived with many tribes and Natives. name was just fine. ? So sick of political correctness nowadays. I was baptized
Ojibwe. I’m Caucasian not white and identify as WLHonx2.0 or tribait who cares. When my tax dollars pay their way of life I use my terminology.

Last edited:
what are the guides charging these days?

I been wanting to look at this a little more. I know they are expensive but want some recommendation. I'm interested in an Elk hunt probably with a rifle during the rut but I'd do another type of hunt also to save some money. Also, would I have to spend the money on a state hunting license if I hunt on a reservation?

cold dead hands
I have looked into those hunts in years past, unless you have really deep pockets, consider getting a top guided hunt in AZ or NM you can get a great bull and save in the long run. Those reservation hunts are not what you think. They keep the big bulls for there long term return big money clients, you will get a nice horseback ride and an average bull on the Res.

Was blessed with an opportunity to guide on the Acoma last year. They harvested a 402/387/and several in the 350-360 class. Management is adamant that hunters take 350+ bulls or bust. Killed me to tell hunters when a 340 bull is there for the easy harvest....He is not big enough. Acoma folks are first class and if you have the resources its a ton of fun .

A friend of mine went the cheap route. He married an Indian out of Klamath Falls, OR so he gets to hunt their Reservation every year for free as long as she's with him. They start hunting mule deer in July.

I book hunts for the Crow Rez in Montana for free range bison, monster color phase black bear, cougar, antelope, spring/fall Rio and Merriam turkey, upland and waterfowl. Have sent over 300 hunters up there over the years...email [email protected] for info/pics. Thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom