Which Parka?

nk

I searched the forums for info. on Parkas and I've come up with very little. I think I'v narrowed it down to 2 or 3. I'm looking for a Parka that will keep me warm in weather below 30 degrees, can withstand the wind and moisture. It doesn't have to be water proof but... Here are my choices and any other suggestions would be apprecitated.

Cabela's Outfitter's? Wool Dry-Plus? Parka

Cabela's Stand Hunter Extreme Parka

Or the Rivers West Jacket (not sure which one yet, still researching)

Thanks,
nk

The Cabelas Outfitter is way nice.

Timberline
47bc7e734e04c60a.jpg

http://www.timberlineoutfittersnevada.com/

My theory,

Parkas don't keep you warm. They keep the wind off of you and keep you dry which keeps you warm. The base layer and the insulation layer keeps you warm.

To that end, you might as well get something that is waterproof/breathable. Without opening up the whole Gore-Tex can of worns, for hunting, I like the Cabelas MTO50 Quiet Pack Jackets and Bibs or Trousers. I have used them for years with excellent results.

By the way, nothing breathes when it is soaking wet but Gore-Tex does a pretty good job of breathing when the exterior of the garment is dry.

I spend a lot of time looking for "the best" parka and I can tell you that it does not exist, yet, but you can read about the ones that are pretty darn close on my site.

Good luck.

Wade Nelson
Editor
HardcoreOutdoor.com

I have the rivers west and it is windproof, waterproof, and extremely hot. Too hot. I am going to get the sitka raincoat, windproof and waterproof but not really insulated.

Doit which Rivers West Jacket do you have and what temp. are you hunting in? CAbugle are the Sitkas warm, and Timberline which Cabelas outfitter? The wool? Thanks for the input so far everyone.
nk

I think it's called the Cascade Mountains? It's the one with the magnetized pockets on the front. I've hunted in it during october, and any hiking around and man, it is toasty. No wind penetration which I like, but it is way to warm for the times I have used it. I can't wait to see what it does it really cold temps. zero and below.

nk, the sitka 90% jacket is not nearly as hot as the River West, but it will keep you warm if you properly layer your clothing. I do feel that this jacket is the best on the market!

CABugle

When Sitka makes a "100%" jacket then I will buy it. I have hauled too many bodies both dead and alive out of the bush because they got caught in that 10% that the Sitka 90% won't cover.

Not only am I out in that 10%, I live for it. And I am not carrying two jackets (the Sitka Downpour and the 90%) when one can do it all and I am not turning back because my shell layer will only hack 90%.

I love the Rivers West stuff. Tough as nails. Waterproof and windproof. Quiet. But it is heavy and it is hot when you are humping. You have to get their jackets with pit zips and the L.A.W. fabric if you are going to doing anything more physical than climbing the ladder to your elevated blind.

The perfect shell gear for trigger pullers has not been made yet but we are getting very close. All the colors, textures, features and capabilities exist, just not in the same jacket. Be patient.

Good luck out there.

Wade Nelson
Editor
HardcoreOutdoor.com

Thanks for all the info. guys. I figure I have 6-8 months before I have to decide, although I want to buy something now, I'll wait. Good luck on your draws this year and I'll let you know what I decide.
nk

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom