Which spread measurement?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Which spread measurement is used to add to score? Widest inside spread? Widest outside spread? Thanks.

Correct that's why I don't know why everyone calls a 20" wide buck with two kickers a 30"er lol
So I'm supposed to say this buck is 16¹/² wide????
Screenshot_20230117_155506_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230117_155522_Gallery.jpg

He's only got a 16.5 inch inside spread but I would not say he is 16" wide.

Whenever asked I say 25" frame and 27 to the cheater.

Describing the inside spread would not paint a very good picture of how big a deer really is. If you wanted to reference the score you could say what the spread credit is if it matters to the conversation.

This is one of those areas where I feel the "book" messed up. I personally don't see any reason to limit a spread credit to the main beams, and personally feel the should have used overall width of the main frame on a typical, and full outside width on a non-typical as the the overall spread really is a desirable trait that shows true size of a buck or bull.

By the way, this bucks inside spread almost saved his life. At first glance I thought I had found a giant, then after looking him over with the binos for a few seconds something seemed off, so I grabbed the spotter, wasn't till I seen the 4" cheater and some coaxing from my dad that I decided to shoot him. He was standing on the edge of some thick timber and could have disappeared very quickly at any time. He grew significantly when we walked up to him. Even with the 16" spread credit he broke 192 gross officially measured by Rusty Hall.

Last edited:
So I'm supposed to say this buck is 16¹/² wide????
View attachment 109217View attachment 109218
He's only got a 16.5 inch inside spread but I would not say he is 16" wide.

Whenever asked I say 25" frame and 27 to the cheater.

Describing the inside spread would not paint a very good picture of how big a deer really is. If you wanted to reference the score you could say what the spread credit is if it matters to the conversation.

This is one of those areas where I feel the "book" messed up. I personally don't see any reason to limit a spread credit to the main beams, and personally feel the should have used overall width of the main frame on a typical, and full outside width on a non-typical as the the overall spread really is a desirable trait that shows true size of a buck or bull.

By the way, this bucks inside spread almost saved his life. At first glance I thought I had found a giant, then after looking him over with the binos for a few seconds something seemed off, so I grabbed the spotter, wasn't till I seen the 4" cheater and some coaxing from my dad that I decided to shoot him. He was standing on the edge of some thick timber and could have disappeared very quickly at any time. He grew significantly when we walked up to him. Even with the 16" spread credit he broke 192 gross officially measured by Rusty Hall.
I usually refer to outside frame width as well when describing a deer but I say that when describing it too. "Hes probably about 27 outside with a nice cheater". I don't call a a 27" wide buck with a kicker 30" inches wide. Idk personel preference I guess. If I see a 20 Inch buck with a couple kickers that's what I call it not try to guess how wide It is with the kickers because that makes no difference in score and is Just confusing to whoever you're explaining a buck to imo

Last edited:
I always assumed the described width was outside of frame. I still remember the good old days, when you ask someone how big their deer was and they responded with an outside width.

here is a math question, if you have 2 trees 25 inch apart and a deer with a 25 inch inside spread will it make it through straight on. How about a deer with a 25 inch outside and a 2 inch kicker will it make it through straight on. you know a pedestrian only has the right of way in court.

There are 3 width measurements recorded for muley bucks in the Boone & Crockett scoring system, and I'd have to defer to those. Tip to Tip spread, which I don't think many guys care about. Inside spread of the main beams, which is useful for scoring even though it often doesn't do much to define the magnitude of a mule deer rack. And greatest spread, which could be simplistically stated as "what's the narrowest doorway this buck could pass through without turning his head?" Anything else is more-or-less a made up number as far as Boone & Crockett scoring is concerned. JakeH pics above are a great example of why inside spread alone doesn't say much about the "hugeness" of a buck.

The only width measurement that goes into score is the greatest inside width of the main beams the other 2 measurements are only there for identification of the rack

……………… measurements are only there for identification of the rack
I would NOT have yelled that out, between songs at the Deer Hunter’s Ball, in the Fish Lake Lodge, in 1969…….. just saying, watch yer tongue Sad Man……?

Don’t you guys know the rules, you can’t talk about measurements of a deer unless you have had it officially scored by a b and c official scorer. All other measurements are made up bullshit by by our grandfathers who fought in WWII. If you decide to talk about such antiquated measurements, you are subject to attack by “Score Whores” on the internet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom