Which state?

AZhunter

Looking for some suggestions. I'm starting to research where and when to do a DIY hunt for Columbian blacktail. I've been lucky enough to take the rest of the deer slam on DIY hunts and I'd like to try and finish it in the next year or 2. Outfitted/ranch hunts are out due to cost (5 kids and a stay at home wife). Any suggestions on a good starting point? Looking for recommendation on which state and season not gps coordinates to your favorite spot. My goal would be for a decent representative buck. I'm open to archery,muzzleloader,or rifle. Would be willing to trade a coues hunt here in AZ if anyone's interested. Thanks guys.

Oregon. Hunt the general western rifle the last week of the season. The bucks are rutting, and with the amount of clear cuts we have you should be fine.

California produces more record book class Columbian Blacktail than any other state. With 2 tags available (resident & NR) that are essentially unlimited and 1000's of acres of public land (B zones), it would be my choice.

BOHNTR )))---------->

well if your decent with a bow southern oregon has a late season deer hunt during the rut lots a nice big blacktails...i am...

Thanks for the suggestions. Really appreciate the starting points. Looks like I should be able to plan a trip for next fall. The planning is half the fun for me anyway.

If you are looking for a buck that would qualify for B and C, you will need to refer to their description of the boundary. The suggestions for the "east of Medford" is entirely out of the B&C category. The Rogue is out, and some of the Applegate is out too. Just FYI.

It does not matter to most, but it may matter to you since you are looking for a slam.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-14 AT 03:12PM (MST)[p]If you want a good representative blacktail I would look hard at a B zone tag in CA (you can buy 2). You can hunt archery season and rifle season. As far as where to hunt it depends on what type of experience you are looking for but I would start with Yollo Bolly wilderness area, Trinity Alps wilderness area, Marble Mountains wilderness area or Klamath National Forest. I'd definitely be willing to help you out in exchange for a coues deer hunt.

Heres a picture of my B zone blacktail from this season

1172014092895120939.jpg

Dustyboots PM sent. Great looking buck. I've been helped by others on here and helped others out. It can be a great place when it works like this.

>Heres a picture of my B
>zone blacktail from this season
>
>
>
>
1172014092895120939.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom