Which Taxidermy School

southslope82

I was wondering what taxidermy school would be a good one to attend? I have finally built up enough vacation time at work that I could take up to 4 weeks off work. I live in Utah and would like to stay fairly close to home. I am mostly interested in learning game heads, life size and rugs first then maybe birds and fish later. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

The only one I know of around here is the Colorado Institute of Taxidermy. It's crossed my mind before. Why don't you do it and let us know how it is.:)

The problem is, even if you go to school, you are not going to be ready to come out and know enough to open your own shop. They will only teach you the basics, and it takes lots of practice, and understanding reference to start producing real quality.

Of course...no school will tell you that. Seems like new grads are opening up shops all the time, only to fade away after a couple years. Heard mixed reviews of the CO school.

thanks I will check into that school I don't expect to jump into my own shop but it is something that I definetley want to learn and I need to start some were

I went to the Colorado Institute of Taxidermy. I would say that Jerey the owner is a top notch guy and knows his stuff. I had worked in a shop for another taxidermist a few years then went to the school so that really helped me. I thought it was great!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

If you have the time look for one-on-one classes. I live out here in Minnesota where there are taxidermy schools all over the place. I did one of those schools and wasn't happy with my work so I did some classes with Shaun Dawson at Timberland Taxidermy in Great Falls, MT. Let me tell you it was the best money I have spent. He offers gamehead, lifesize, rugs and a habitat class. in fact, I am going back in two weeks to do the lifesize class with him. If you are going to spend the money, get quality instruction. Look on www.taxidermy.net there are links to classes all over the country. That should give you some good info also to start with.

Jason

I'd stay away from school and go for OJT. If you can get on board with a good size studio and are really willing to learn, it would be much more beneficial.

southslope82 Joe Meader in Iowa. I would joint your state taxidermy organization there would be a lot of people willing to help you there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom