Which tripod?

BigPig

Very Active Member
What tripod should I get for my new Zeiss Diascope 65? Budget is $200. I want a light, compact model that I can fit in my pack, but is still steady and durable. Any ideas? So far I'm leaning towards the Bogen 718SHB.

Here's a lightweight, compact model that you can get for under $100. It has adjustable-angle legs, which let you adjust to uneven ground. You can even stand behind it, and it still folds down to 19" to fit in your pack. It won't be as steady as a heavier tripod, but then, it's a lot lighter! It's a Slik Sprint Pro 3 Way. They also offer this with a small ball head, but I don't think it works as well as a panhead.
http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss4.html

My buddy and I just started using the Bogen/Manfrotto 718B last season. For the price, I dont think it can be beat. My buddy paid $150 at a store. Then I found one on the internet and got it for about $115. They are light, stable and compact (small enought to fit in a day pack). We use them for our 15X binoculars. We had previously used $25 Slik tripods and there is absolutely no comparison. Not as stable as a big Bogen but not as expensive or as big and heavy either. Good luck. CB

AZBOB:

The Slik Sprint Pro 3. Is is heavy enough to support a large video camera. We do a lot of filming and the Swarovski tripod I have is to heavy for the backpack but it does not allow for movement when set up. I am after a light tripod but I don't want the camera to shake on the tripod either.

Joe,
I haven't used it with a video camera, just a 2-1/2 lb spotting scope. I'm not sure how much a "large video camera" weighs, but it it's much more than that, you might be better off going with a little heavier tripod. The last sections of the tripod legs are pretty slender. Generally when I'm sitting down behind the tripod, I don't extend that last section, so the tripod is supported by the thicker legs. If you want to stand behind a tripod a lot, again, you might be better off with a heavier tripod. But it is nice to have the option available with this tripod for a quick look beside the truck without having to sit down to get behind it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom